new to the forum 17vs17

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by duddie10, Jan 14, 2013.

1. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Hey every one. Alittle about me cuz im new to the forum been shooting since i was 6yrs old. Ive been reloading for about 2 years now. Looking to get into a 17hmr now which one would you buy anf any pros and cons of them. I was looking to get either a marlin 917vs or the savage mark2 both with the heavy barrel and adj 2 stage trigger. Thanks guys.

2. JAnderson

JAnderson New Member

I have a friend with the savage and a cousin with the marlin. Both are fun and accurate, i dont think you can go wrong with either. If you can spare a little more money I would consider the Ruger 77/17 as well

3. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

I have the marlin 917 and I love it.its a tack driver straight out of the box

Attached Files:

4. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Thats so nice who makes that one and where did u get the stock for it?

5. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Its just a marlin 917 heavy barrel, the stock is a Boyds tacticool. I duracoated it magpul fde. Boyds sells them for 99 bucks, or midway sells them unfinished for 75 I think. Its a great upgrade to the rifle. There's not a lot of other stocks inletted for the marlin, but im happy with the Boyds.

6. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Thats awsome and suck a cheap upgrade. Looks so good im def going to look into it now.

7. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

They are both good rifles. the .17Savage Model is called the 93R 17.I have a 93R17 in .17 and a Mark II in .22 did I say they were awesome!:) Cliff

8. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Yeah, the stock makes a world of a difference, I use my 17 as a trainer rifle for my 308.

9. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

So i got to put the savage 93r and the marlin 917 side by side yesterday at cabelas. I really like them both. The savage seems to have a nicer trigger than the marlin. But the marlin has suck a nice oak stock and the bluing is pristine.

10. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

If you ever have plans of changing the stock out on the marlin, make sure you get the one with the wood stock. The synthetic has a built in trigger guard, so when you go to replace the stock, you'll have to order a new trigger guard from marlin. Can't go wrong with the marlin or savage. I have the marlin and its a tack driver. I chose to duracoat the barreled action though, I prefer matte over blueing

11. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Does the marlin have an adj trigger like the savages accu trigger? The only reason i say this is because i am a real fan of marlin. But like i said before the savage had a real smooth and crisp trigget pull. Prob some where around 1.75 to 2.0 lbs

12. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

They use the same accutrigger design as savage, and yes it is adjustable. I left mine alone after shooting it a bit. The trigger pull from the factory is perfect as it sits

13. mrt8110

mrt8110 New Member

Are you sure the stock is Oak, they are usually Birch or laminated1 U can pick up a Savage with a scope from the factory. They are both nice Rifles. U can adjust the marlin trigger without taking the barrel off. It is definitely a difficult choice. Enjoy, the cartridge is awesome with either rifle!:)Cliff

14. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

Not only is the cartridge awesome, but you can still find it at normal price pretty much anywhere :)

15. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

My mistake its not oak its walnut. I just finished building an oak gun locker. And ur both right a real tough choice and it seems 17hmr is the only thing in any store and there plenty for all. The only reason i started looking at 17 was i tryed a few weeks ago to out shoot a gun next to me at the range. I though he was shooting 22winmag at 100yards so i said smallest group out of 3 shots buys the next hr at the range. Now normaly my marlin 925 holds about 1.000 at 100yds so when i shot a .872 i was jumping for joy. Then we measured his target and he shot a .592 i knew somthing was not right. And he told me it was a 17hmr. Now im hooked. Just a little back story

ForumRunner_20130118_183439.jpg

16. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

I've found that my marlin 17hmr likes the cci tnt 17 gr hp.groups the best out of all the ammos I have tried.

17. duddie10

duddie10 New Member

Thats the hp round right?

18. cgersty

cgersty New Member

Yeas the TNT is a hollowpoint and my marlin likes them ok, but it shoots the vmax hornady the best, don't know bout any others as these are the only two I have shot out of mine.

19. ccrow175

ccrow175 New Member

That's crazy, those did the worst out of mine, I guess even though they're the same brand, different rifles like different ammos

20. blucoondawg

blucoondawg New Member

I had a Savage bolt action shortly after they came out with them and I sold it, it shot good as far as accuracy but it had one annoying quirk, if the mag wasn't in just so the darned thing wouldn't feed right when cycling the action, there was some up and down movement when the mag was inserted and if it wasn't in the right spot it couldn't feed. Now I am considering getting back into the 17 as I did like the way it shot but since that new 17 super is coming out I am going to wait and see what they offer in that, if the ammo is close to the same price which they say it will be I would rather have the added performance out of that then the hmr. The effective range of the super will be a little farther than the hmr. I am thinking I like the Henry Varmint Express, if they came out with a rifle in the new Super I would get one of those.