New to the 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by xdm11chad, Oct 13, 2011.

1. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

Hey guys I just bought my first handgun now that I am 21 I picked up a new Springfield armory 1911 A-1 loaded and I'm in love could use any tips on anything cleaning ammo grips anything I'm all ears now thanks in advance!

2. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

3. PCR

PCR New Member

Good for you!

4. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Nice. SA makes a nice 1911 indeed. I almost bought one before I got my Sig but didn't like the fact that the SA didn't have front strap checkering. The 1911 was made for the 230 grn round, my advice, keep to it. As far as cleaning goes, I use ballistol. The stuff is amazing. You can sometimes find it at your local gun store. If not, order it from midway. You can use it for the grips and everything.
    Things to know about the 1911...NEVER LET THE SLIDE GO
    W/O HAVING A ROUND IN THE CHAMBER! BE CAREFUL NOT TO IDIOT SCRATCH YOUR FRAME...FIGHT THE URGE TO GET THE ROTARY TOOL.... SHOOT THE LIVING SNOT OUT OF IT BEFORE YOU CHANGE ANYTHING (500-1000 rounds at least) IE:TRIGGER, SIGHTS ETC ETC. There are others but those are the main tips. Congratulations on your first 1911. Sad to say that it won't be your last. Welcome to the forum brother, she looks purdy.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Don’t do anything to, or complain about the “new” gun until you have run 500 rounds of 230 gr Ball (that’s Full Metal Jacket like WWB) ammo downrange. Don’t try HP’s, +P’s or anything other than what JMB designed the thing to shoot!

Don’t shoot any of the first 500 rounds at a target located greater than 10 meters away. (it’s a gun test not a competition) Don’t clean it, don’t field strip it, do nothing but run a jag down the barrel to make sure there is no cosmoline remaining from shipping protection.

If you don’t get the full 500 rounds done in one shoot, let it marinate in the soot and range sweat until you get back to the job at hand. OK, you can wipe the exterior down but don’t go inside yet.

That job is NOT Break-In, it’s a new gun test to decide if you’re going to send it back to the manufacturer and have them make it right.

This is the time to check for the following:
    • Does it feed with all the mags that came with it?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock on the last round?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with only one round loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with two rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with three rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with four rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with five rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with six rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with seven rounds loaded?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag?
    • Does it feed and slide-lock with a full mag +1?
    • Where does the brass fall?
    • Does the gun feel solid?
    • Is anything found loose? Grips? Sights? Barrel?........
    • Yes, the slide stop/release is tight. (it’s a new gun)
    • Does it fire with the thumb safety on and the grip safety engaged? (do this sans ammo)
    • Does it fire with the thumb safety off and the grip safety off? (do this sans ammo)
    • Trigger take-up?
    • Trigger brake? It should be a surprise.
    • Trigger reset?
    • Does it shoot to aim?
    • Did you take notes?

Shoot the snot out of it.

Once the "Gun Test" is successfully completed and you have found no issues requiring factory attention then, and only then can you start with your ammo testing. I bet it will feed everything including empty brass!

6. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Congrats on the fine purchase:) Its been said but shoot about 1k rounds before you change anything. You will find that certain mag brands are more reliable than others. Trial and error. Best of luck.

7. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

And this ladies and gentlemen is why cane is the man. Just saying.

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

We are not worthy.

9. xdm11chad

xdm11chad New Member

Thank you guys I'm pretty proud of it she slept next to me last night! I can only afford to shoot 100 - 150 at a time tho do best ammo for the buck?

10. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Winchester white box at Walmart

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

+1

[​IMG]

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

He is pretty much our resident 1911 expert. I feel he's probably more knowledgeable than many of the magazine writers, and if he isn't, then he sure knows how to feed us a line (I sincerely believe that is not the case though).

13. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I had some FTF issues with white box. I switched to Blazer Brass. $1-2 more a box..but no issues. May have just been my pistol didnt like the Winchester ammo..

14. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Where i live i can get the white box winchester 230g fmj "100 count" for $35 at wally world

15. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

I have been plinking with the Tula .45. It takes about twice as long to clean the pistol afterwords, but for the price difference I can live with that.

16. gollygee

gollygee New Member

Yeah, the WWB at Walmart is a good deal, or the Federal they handle. I've read about sightings of them beginning to stock a 100 rd. pack of Federal in 9mm & .45ACP that will make it even better, but haven't seen them here.

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

what is the rotary tool?? am i missing something fun??

18. trip286

trip286 New Member

DREMELLLL!!!! HOO-RAHHHH!!! On a semi, I think I would leave any alterations (except for drop in parts) to a professional. That being said, I need to give y'all some pics on the trigger radius and smoothing I did a few days ago on my S&W.

19. NOVA

NOVA New Member

I agree with and understand all that you said, but can you expand on the reason why not to let the slide go without a round in the chamber? Honestly don't recall ever hearing that one before.

20. Alpha1Victor

Alpha1Victor New Member

Its hard on the internals like the extractor, firing pin, slide and frame.