new to the 1911

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by rerun33, Aug 3, 2011.

1. rerun33

rerun33 New Member

hello every one. I was recently lucky enough to be given a pre WW2 1911 colt govement model. I was able to establish thru the serial numbers it was made in 1921. It was carried and used during WW2. I know im probibly gonna catch alot of hell for this but i love and shoot this gun on a semi regular basis. Beleive me i want to put this peice of history to rest. I am currently looking for a suitable replacement for it. My main reason for posting this is I have several questions about it. Is it worth getting the paper work from colt for the gun? I was told that I could get the military records of the man who carried it and that would also up the value. Mainly i just want to know more of the guns history(big history buff). Is this possible? There are quite a few scratches on it from im guessing field dressing ( it hadent been touched since WW2 till i got it) should i get it refinished? I know having it done wrong will seriously destroy the value of it and not that I intend on selling it anytime soon I dont want to do that. Any sugestions would be most apriciated.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I don't see what's wrong with shooting it every now and then. I buy firearms to shoot, not to stare at all day (although I do enjoy looking at them :eek:). Regarding having it refinished I personally would not have it done, because it's an old war horse that deserves to be kept in its natural state of showing age. I find that wear on a firearm just gives it more character especially when a firearm develops that nice patina coloring.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Leave it as is.

I say do not refinish, that pistol has too much history to wash it off.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Don't refinish it!

It will destroy the value and embarrass the old warrior.

It's condition speaks of the road it has traveled.

Collect ALL the information you can to record its provenience.

M1911 production was suspended in 1919.

M1911A1 production started in 1924 and continued through 1945.

Send me the SN in a PM and I can tell you when your gun was built.

5. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Helluva first 1911 :eek:
    I'd leave it be & "warm it up" now & then :cool:

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I knew Cane would have something to say about refinishing it ;), and I couldn't agree with him more.

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Keep it as is. DO NOT refinish or alter it in any way! Clean it, lube it and shoot it once in a while with .230gr. FMJ ammunition and never use +P ammo in it.

Congratulations on owning an honorable old war horse.

8. rerun33

rerun33 New Member

thanks

thanks for all the great advice guys. Finally got some pics of the old gal on my comp so enjoy. Please ignore the orange on the front sight. I loose it on dark targets so I put some floresent orange tape on it so I can see it. I have a question for you guys if your still out there. I found a 1911 clone from some company I have never heard of for a really decent price. All it says on the gun is IAI M600. its made in the philipines. Its a 1911 frame. If any of you know anything about it please advise. I cant find anything about it on the internet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  9. AznZOhAn

AznZOhAn New Member

Nice gun, that's a testament to American muscle

10. Polygon

Polygon New Member

There might be an echo in here, but I wouldn't refinish that either. They call that patina and it's worth a fair amount of money. I agree that it shows the character of the gun as well. Also, I wouldn't be afraid to shoot it once in a while either. But there's nothing wrong with buying another one. ;)

Very nice gun, conagrats! :)

11. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It actually looks to be in very nice shape.

I just googled IAI M6000 and came up with quite a few hits.

12. rerun33

rerun33 New Member

iai m6000

Thanks. I googled the IAI M6000 and all I could really find is posts on it. Couldnt find any good performance reveiws. The same guy has a ruger P90 for the same price as the M6000. Im strongly leaning towards that one. Ive heard nothing but good stuff about the P90.

13. canebrake

canebrake New Member

IAI M6000

They are shooters with combat accuracy, has a SS (sloppy slide) and are only reliable with ball ammo. I wouldn't pay much more than $300 for what would be a range lizard.

Israel Arms International Inc. marketed three M-1911 pistols. These models were:

M5000
    A Government length M-1911 pistol based on a forged steel frame and slide with a blue and satin finish. The slide is grooved across the top. The M5000 comes standard with a competition trigger, hammer and slide stop. It also features wrap around rubber combat style grips. The sights are a low profile fixed three dot configuration.

M6000
    Forged slide & frame, 5" stainless steel barrel with beveled feed ramp, extended slide stop, extended safety, beavertail grip safety, extended magazine release, fixed sights, combat style hammer, rubber grips, beveled magazine well, light weight steel trigger, non-glare ribbed surface on top of slide, one 7rds magazine, and hard carrying case with a lock. Finish: blue or 2-tone.

M7000
    Double Stack - Forged slide & frame, 5" stainless steel barrel with beveled feed ramp, extended slide stop, extended safety, beavertail grip safety, extended magazine release, fixed sights, combat style hammer, rubber grips, beveled magazine well, light weight steel trigger, non-glare ribbed surface on top of slide, one 10 rds magazine, and hard carrying case with a lock. Finish: blue or 2-tone.

Israel Arms International: 1996-2002

Israel Arms International incorporated in Houston, Texas in November 1996.

The frames for their 1911 style handguns were imported from the Philippines.