New to site and looking for answers

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by mrhaney, May 13, 2009.

1. mrhaney

mrhaney New Member

I have purchased at a gun show a "new model army" .44 caliber percussion cap revolver with a 71/2" octogon barrel. Other than needing a good cleaning it is solid and shows little wear. Beneath the "ram" the stampings read "made by E.N. Santa Barbara" a symbol and then the word Spain, serial number is *04566. It appears to look similar to the original .44 caliber revolvers of the civil war period. I, of course, know NOTHING about percussion cap pistols, I purchased it simply because I fancy myself as somewhat of a patriot and my home is decorated with the Constitution of the United States, books and artifacts about the "overmountain men", early east Tennessee, up through the "cowboy and indian" days. Obviously this is a reproduction and not an original 1800's piece. I would appreciate any information someone might have on the manufacturer, possible date of manufacture, loading, firing, and possible history behind this piece. I do not intend to fire this pistol but I would like to clean it up and know a little more about it. I am not beyond searching the internet if someone can lead me in the right direction since I have already spent several hours trying to locate this info. Thank you for your interest and I appreciate your response. mrhaney55@sbcglobal.net.

2. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Welcome to the forum Mr. Haney.
    Sorry I have no info on your gun, but would love to see some photos if you get a chance.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

WELCOME, glad to have you aboard! [​IMG]

4. mrhaney

mrhaney New Member

AAAHHHH, hey Jo Da Plumbr,... I just retired after 40+ years in the trade and neither did I ever look that good or see a plumber that did! Nice smile! Maybe next time!

5. mrhaney

mrhaney New Member

Cane,... haven't we met somewhere before??? Thanks for the invite,...either you guys are hangin' with some hot chicks or you've got way too much time on your hands. Maybe we'll chat again sometime. Widowmakermax

6. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Brings a whole new meaning to the term...

"plumbers crack"

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Welcome to the Forum - You might want to post a picture or two of the pistol in the Curio/Relic section, we have quite a few avid collectors.

RL357Mag?

Bob White?

Scott G?

stalkingbear??

You guys got anything for the new guy?

JD

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

We have a weekly avatar theme for those wanting to participate. All are welcome but none are required to join in this insanity.

This week is Favorite band/musical ensemble .

Here's next week's poll:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/avatar-poll-5-17-thru-5-23-a-13775/#post104971

9. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome here.

10. Bob Wright

Bob Wright Member

Your "New Model Army" .44 with 7 1/2" octagon barrel is not a replica of any actual historic revolver. All the Colt Army Models had round barrels. The Dragoon models were called Army Models at the time, later Old Model Army to differentiate it from the 1860 Army Model.

Possibly this could pass as a reproduction of a Southern made copy of a Colt, as I believe Dance Brothers made an 1851 Navy look-alike in .44 Caliber.

As to date of manufacture, it would be hard to say. These Spanish made guns started coming into the country around 1960 or so, as Civil War Centennials were coming into vogue and re-enactment groupps began searching for firing replicas. I believe Dixie Gun Works, of Union City, Tennessee, was one of the pioneers in the importation of these guns.

Bob Wright

WHOA! In my haste I neglected entirely the fact that what you may have is a replica of an 1858 Remington New Model Army. If you gun has the top strap then that is what you have. I jumped the gun,literally, in assuming it was a copy of the Colt. I sincerly beg you pardon.

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  11. Schoe

Schoe New Member

What you have sounds like the Remington reproduction from Santa Barbara. These guys have been around since the 1500s and are the primary weapons producers for the Spanish military. They stopped making the Remington 1858 model around 20 to 25 years ago. They are the best of the reproductions and are far superior to the Italian reproductions (I know since I have both). The Santa Barbara uses very strong steel (ordinance steel?) and these models come in 3 different types (fully engraved, partial engraved and plain non-engraved). These are the best reproductions that are out there. Do a Google search and you will find a lot more data on this piece.