New to shotguns question

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Jpohl, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Jpohl

Jpohl New Member

Just bought my first shotgun, a Remington 870 express and was wondering if any type of slug could be shot through it. I assume a rifled slug can be but don't know enough about the choke tubes all I know is a modified was included. Do I need any other sort of choke tubes? Also was wondering if winchester pdx shells can be shot through the modified choke. Thanks for your help.

2. astroman

astroman Supporting Member Supporter

I have the same gun - what I did was pick up a slug barrel for it as well which had sights on it too - so I just change out the barrels when needed. I think I paid approx $75 for the slug barrel, but that was 20 years ago...I dont think you want to shoot slugs thru the barrel it came with as you mentioned, as there could be issues regarding the choke(s). I could be wrong about that though...maybe someone else can chime in about this...

3. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

You can safely shoot any shells the correct gauge thru your gun without any worry's.

4. Old_Crow

Old_Crow New Member

I am seeing used rifled slug barrels for around $120. Ebay is a great place to start looking. Sites like gun broker also have used barrels from time to time. If you are using slugs to meet game regulations a rifled barrel is a great investment.

In the future when you purchase a shotgun a combo (shotgun package that comes with a field barrel and a specialty barrel) is always cheaper than buying a field model and acquiring barrels later. Don't feel bad! The reason I am aware of combo pricing is I have faced the dilemma you are facing right now.