new to reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Ultimate_sig, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I have a mac 650 and im reloading 11 guage, whats a good powder to use and can i reload any type with what i have. I obviously know i can reload bird shot but what about buck or slugs

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I am presuming you have a MEC 650 and are loading 12 ga. For starters there are MANY variables in loading shotshells. Hulls, primers, powder, wads, shot weight, just for starters. NEVER load anything but lead with lead shot data. Get a good loading manual (The ABC's of reloading, shotshell version). Never substitute ANY component for another. If the "book" load calls for CCI primers, use CCI primers. If the "book" load calls for Winchester WAA-12 wads, DO NOT substitute WAA-12F1 wads. They are different. Very diferent.

Loads for Remington RXP hulls should never be used in Winchester AA hulls or Federal Gold Medal hulls. You need to know what an RXP hulls is, what a AA hull is and what a Gold Medal hull is. All the major manufacturers use several different kinds of hulls. Some are very innappropriate (even dangerous) to reload.

There are so many variables you really need the book.

FWIW, I like Red Dot for a powder. My 1 1/8 oz load patterns very well and is easy on the shoulder.

3. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Yea, it came with a manual i look at it. I didnt know it was so complicated. Its kinda like brewing a recipe i guess.

4. satajet

satajet New Member

I find it easier than making home made beer. Satajet.

5. robocop10mm

There are similarities and differences from metallic reloading. Primer, Powder, Projectile, Crimp. You must also understand "wad pressure". It is adjustable on the MEC loaders. Most MEC loaders use set shot weight charge bars and interchageable bushings for the powder charge. There are adjustable bars available as well.

In my experience, adjusting the crimp can be a PITA until you get the hang of it.

My MEC 650 does not work well with shot larger than #6. With #4's it sometimes allows the shot to hang up in the drop tube. I load mostly 7 1/2 for field loads and feed the pellets by hand for my buckshot loads.

My "pet load" for 12 ga field loads is;

Win AA hull, CCI 209 primer, 17.5 gr Red Dot, Win WAA12 wad or Claybuster equivalent (30 lbs wad pressure), 1 1/8 oz lead shot and an 8 point crimp. Shoots pretty gently, patterns VERY well and is economical.

6. satajet

satajet New Member

Like i said,"easier than making good beer".

7. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

ya see i dnt understand any of that

8. satajet

satajet New Member

Basic Reloading 101 was last semester...

9. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Ill figure it out, hopefully i still have both hand and all fingees

10. satajet

satajet New Member

I went to B&N and got Reloading for dummies...it helps "ABIT" thank God for pictures... Satajet.

11. robocop10mm

Ya want it in even simpler terms that that? Man, I'm not sure I can do that.

12. robocop10mm

Hopefully that clears it up a bit

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  13. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

You really need to find somebody who can teach you if you can't understand the reloading manual.

Reloading is not to approached casually. It can not only blow your fingers off and blind you, it can kill you and blow up your house.

Find somebody at the range or gun store who is willing to walk you through it step by step.

14. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I understand the seriousness of it thats why i havent tried yet

15. satajet

satajet New Member

Robocop10, you can do it if you take it slow at first...if you follow a set of systematic instructions and you pay attention to detail...it will in time become second nature to you. Take your time with it and have fun... I used to use a "Lee" Reloading kit when i was about 22-23 years old (self taught),and i lived to shoot another day. So you see it IS possible if you want to enough to get after it ... SATAJET.

16. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

The book ABCs of reloading is a good start. I always welcome new people to reloading. The more the better for us all. But be clear though, its not for everyone. If not done properly, it can and surely will cost you and others money, guns, fingers, eyes, face, life, etc. All it take is one 'error'. If you cant read manuals and books, give your full attention, be completely understand what you are doing, be meticulous, do us all a favor, and don't reload and don't be a story on the evening news.
    If you can, then good luck and welcome aboard. You'll find plenty of 'brothers' to help and guide you along. I know I did.

17. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

I have looked at supllies but im not buying till i have a goos recipe down. Im going to look ud that book, would it have more info than mymec manual

18. Ultimate_sig

Ultimate_sig New Member

Think ima go with this one, it has the exact machine im using on the cover lol

51fVqjMi0rL._SX300_.jpg

19. satajet

satajet New Member

Seems to have good reviews...lets us all know how it goes!

20. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

Its a good introduction book, by all reviews. I can recommend a bunch of others, if you're a knowledge junkie like me. The best shot-shell manual is the Lyman one, about $20. Some of the better reloading standard manuals for metallic rifle/pistol are the Sierra and Lyman ones.