Firearms Talk banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
I used to reload years ago when I was shooting IPSC, but got out of it. My son recently "got the bug" and wanted to learn and start getting more into shooting. Unfortunately, I hit things at a bad time too, but I have all the equipment and tools, so I didn't need to reinvest from scratch in that respect.

I have been scrabbling around for a few weeks and I've managed to scrounge up about 3500 primers. They're Large Rifle Magnums and some LRM Match (they cost a little more) and we're loading 243 and 22-250 right now. Not preferred, but Magnums will work if you back off the load some. So, while I'm paying around $65 for a brick of the Match primers, and around $45 for the LRM's, it's still a hell of a lot cheaper than the ridiculous prices going on gunbroker (I saw a brick of LR go for over $500, so after that, I didn't even bother to look there again). I've managed to get some powder here and there too. Sometimes it's a little more expensive than usual, and sometimes I've gotten some good deals. Although, powder has been the hardest thing for me to find in my area. Bullet's I'm not having too much trouble finding. Brass is somewhere in the middle, but the stuff I'm finding is pricey for new. Local shops are selling packages of 50 Hornady 243 and 22-250 for $55+ (we're in Lapua price territory here). I've turned to buying once fired as well simply to have something on hand that'll go bang.

Most places now are limiting you as well. One place had some primers, but they would only sell you 100, no bricks. I got a brick from a place just this morning because a brick was the limit. I've even been to places that won't sell you ammo unless you buy a gun, and even then, if you did, you can only buy a maximum of two boxes of ammo. After my primer grab this morning, I stopped into another place to see if they had any 350 Legend ammo, and they were loaded to the gills with it. Three different factory loads and I'm guessing 40+ boxes all tolled, but they would only sell me 1 box, period.

So, I guess, depending on where you live, if you have the time and don't mind spending a day here and there to travel around and hit all the nooks and crannies, you can find components that aren't horribly over priced, but expect some limitations too.

It's just a bad time right now to get into this.

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
I go with doing some home work. The RCBS Rockchucker is a good basic single stage press. Some of your calibers are best with a single stage press. The 30-30 and 30-06 work very well in a single stage press. Your other calibers do well in the single stage but not very fast. With exception of the 500 Beowulf, I have loaded all those rounds on a single stage press.

Some people are quick to point out you can buy 9mm and 223 cheaper than you can reload. That's depending on what kind of cartridges you want. If you want the premium quality ammo it is more economical to reload. I don't know what 45ACP cost these days. I load an shoot 300 rounds a month. These are target loads using lead bullets. I doubt if I would come ahead out ahead buying six boxes of factory rounds. Do some figuring. Is it worth if shooting twenty rounds a year of a common caliber? .

I don't think it's such a good idea to jump into reloading with progressive. To me, having a good single stage press is basic. I use my standard rifle dies in my Dillon 550. Learn on the single stage then move on if you want.

I have bought most of my recent reloading gear second hand. Saves serious money. Buy after doing some homework. It's great if you find a mentor to help you get going. If you want to reload have at it. I do not want to think of how much money I have hooked in reloading gear,

·
Registered
231 Posts
I side with Mowgli, start with a single stage. There's a lot of info to digest before you even press your first round and you don't need to be bogged down with trying to set up a multi-stage or any automated gizmos on it. Also, buy a book or books on the subject and read them cover to cover. It's far more involved than simply dumping powder in a case and pressing a bullet into it. And, just consider what's going on here and the possible implications if you don't do it right. This isn't a video game where if you screw the pooch you just get a new life. The potential injuries, or even death is simply not worth rushing into it, or cutting any corners. When done properly, it's a safe past time, but all it takes is one screw up to ruin your life. Am I being a bit over the top in this concern? I don't think so. My face, fingers, hand, and life are worth the time and effort to get it right.

As for presses, I'd say the RCBS Rock Chucker is probably the most popular single stage press ever made. However, with a few exceptions, any quality press from the major manufacturers will produce quality ammo. Dies also play a big role and you can spend little to a lot on those as well. Just spend the time to learn what and how they work. Like anything technical, you can get into the game on the cheap, but you'll likely outgrow such a set up fairly quickly. If nothing else, if you buy a quality set up and then decide it isn't for you, you won't have a hard time recouping most of your money should you decide to sell it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts