new to reloading...

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by jwalsh66, Dec 13, 2013.

1. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

I'm looking to get into reloading. I am well on my way through the abc's of reloading and the I have a copy of reloading for handgunners. I was wondering if anyone could give me a basic list of tools and supplies I will need to get started. I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys.

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

single stage press for beginners.
    Dies for your caliber.
    accurate powder scale
    Primer seating tool
    Pretty much everything else is luxuries that you can add over time

3. magnumman

magnumman New Member

Press, dies, scale, caliper, bullets, brass, powder, primers, (primer tool if your press doesn't have one built in), tumbler/media. That should get you going. There are tons of gadgets that you could spend a fortune on but these are essential. Don't forget your reloading manual

4. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

A single stage or a turret press I mean, a multistage press for a beginner is just asking for danger.

5. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Manuals!!!! You can never have to many!!!!:)

6. vincent

vincent New Member

^^^Stole my answer^^^

Ya bastid!! :D

7. rockratt

Easy now I am a sensitive guy you know!!!!:p

8. vincent

vincent New Member

Sorry bro...how 'bout a belly rub? :D

9. CrunchyFrog

CrunchyFrog Member

Since you mentioned that your purchased "Reloading for Handgunners", I presume you will be loading primarily handgun ammo.

I loaded for years on a single stage press, and later jumped up to a progressive. I know people who started with a progressive but I would not recommend it.

A friend of mine who is a new handloader purchased a Lee Classic Turret Press (the "Classic" has an iron base) which has worked out really well. Reasonably priced, about as simple to operate as a single stage but it has a much better rate of production.

Let's see. He bought the press, dies, the Lee automatic powder measure (you need to get the "riser" with it), the Lee Safety Prime system, and a scale.

You won't need a loading block. You can get by without a case tumbler. Don't waste your money buying a case trimmer or a lube pad if you are loading pistol ammo.

10. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

Thanks for all the pointers guys and gals. I am primarily going to start with 45 acp. Then move to .223 because those are the 2 calibers I have the most of.

11. Kraj

Kraj New Member

How much do you shoot? Progressive presses are not as bad as everyone makes them out of be. But the again single stage presses are pretty cheap and I use mine all the time.

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

there is nothing wrong with a progressive or a turret press, but not the sort of press i would recommend for most beginners to reloading. starting with a single stage for a beginner allows them to concentrate on eash step and to avoid potential problems from trying to rush through reloading. it promotes safer reloading practices by allowing them to concentrate on each step of the reloading process and learn the procedures.

now, i emphasise the word most beginners, because everyone is different and everyone learns at different speeds of a learning curve. the beginner needs to realistically assess his own abilities and how he absorbs the knowledge he is trying to learn and what his goals are as far as reloading.

personally, i have progressed to the point that i now want to venture into a turret or progressive simply for reloading higher volumes of my pistol cartridges that i shoot. i have also picked up another single stage press to add into my reloading equipment simply to do multiple steps of reloading my rifle cartridges.

this is something that not one answer will cover everyone and what works best for one person may not be the optimum answer for another person.

13. rockratt

In the early 90's I bought an RCBS Rock chucker kit and have added to it over the years. I still use it today. I have looked at the turrets and progressives and and even made a trip to Cabelas to buy one but just have never pulled the trigger(no pun intended):D.
    There is snow and ice on the ground here and it is just nasty outside so I am going to the shop and fire up the wood heater and set down at the reloading bench and spend at least part of the day in the man cave in my own little world. I could do a 1000 rounds of pistol ammo easy by the end of the day if I chose too. So for that reason I have never been able to justify the upgrade.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  14. Axxe55

i just haven't fully decided to buy one either. it would be more of a want than a need for me. it would allow me to load in a higher volume, but again more of a want than a need.

15. jwalsh66

jwalsh66 New Member

I shoot about 200-300 rounds a month. I want to reload to help that. I was thinking maybe the lee 4 hole turret press. I was doing some reading online and some people people buy them and use them as single stage then add the other stations oncd they feel comfortable. It seems like a good idea in theory. The thing I don't for see having more than maybe 6-10 hours all month to reload. With work and the wife and 3 little ones running around. They demand a lot of time.

16. Axxe55

actually that's not a bad idea and the reason many people like a turret over a progressive.

17. 25-5

25-5 New Member

I have a Dillon 450. It's old. I use it as single stage for my rifle loads and as a progressive for pistol loads. Reloading requires all your attention no matter what equipment. Just don't make it a race with the progressive and you'll be fine. I love the Dillon and have made some upgrades over 35 years and 100K cartridges.

18. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Most start with a single stage and eventually want a progressive. The single stage will still be useful after you decide to go with a Dillon (don't waste your money on any other progressive). I still use my RCBS Jr for a few calibers I do not have Dillon conversions for and swaging primer pockets.

19. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

A good bullet powder funnle is also needed on my own list of basics to get reloading. If you have any of those federal brand bullet boxes with the red plastic bullet trays for holding your shells, you can get by without a bullet tray that holds all your brass when loading them with powder. Otherwise yer out another 6 to 10 bucks! :eek: