New to reloading. What to get??

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by nate913, Sep 29, 2013.

1. nate913

nate913 New Member

Retry much as it says. I'm wanting to start reloading for my Glock 22 and 23 40 cal's. I have nothing. What is the best to get and start with. Looking to start with $300 to $500. I have heard people say start with a single stage, but I have a feeling if I do that I will want a Progressive right away. What to do, what to do??

2. Anna_Purna

Anna_Purna New Member

I wouldn't get a multistage press until you learn all the inherent dangers involved in reloading. A single stage press is a great learning tool, and can be resold for little loss down the road. I myself enjoy a single stage press and don't mind taking the time. I have NEVER had a squib load, or a HOT load. Don't know if I could say that if I had a multistage press.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

Get a Lee single stage with the quick change bushings. Get a Lee 4 die set and a Lee powder measure. Get the charge bar and buy a scale. Hornady 1500 is a decent electronic. Lee hand primer and a couple case blocks. At this point your in for under $200 and could sell or trade most of it if you don't like reloading.

With this setup you could probably get in the neighborhood of 200 per hour once you get your system down.

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

Your first step should be to buy a couple of books. Start with 'the abc's of reloading'.

5. fupuk

fupuk New Member

Ive been reloading for almost two years. I started with buying the abc's of reloading and read that a few times. Then went and started looking at presses. I reload only for pistol and revolver right now but I started with and RCBS rockchucer single stage and have never had any regrets. It does take longer to deprime and load because I have to change dies for every step but it makes me feel more comfortable with weighing every charge and getting the feel for this hobby. I will start reloading for rifle in a few months but a single stage will always be needed for precision shooting or just to get a base load to see if it will function in you firearm. Then buy as many reloading manuals as you can to cross reference load data. Hope this helps you out. My first rounds of .357mag and just last night I cleaned some 45acp cases and right now I have .44mag in the tumbler..

Attached Files:

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

I started with progressive. But I use an actual handloading kit for my .38 Special / .357 Magnum loads. I actually prefer being able to basically supervise every single round, and give each the utmost attention.

That being said, I'm considering adding a single stage press in the near future. I can knock out a lot of rounds on my progressive, but I prefer the accuracy in loads of going slow.

7. aandabooks

aandabooks Active Member

I forgot about getting the book. I am up to 3 full books and some of the pamphlets you sometimes get with Western Powder. All are indespensible. The Lyman 49th doesn't have the greatest load info but the front half of the book is great for explaining the reloading process step by step.

I will probably go progressive at some point in the future. Dillon will be top of the list but only for 9mm/.45. Something where I would want a large volume. .44, .357/.38, .223 and .30-06 would stay on the turret press. That is all dependent on whether I get into USPSA shooting and need a larger volume of cartridges than I currently shoot.

8. mseric

mseric New Member

You aren't going to get set-up with a "good" progressive and all the other goodies needed for $300-$500.

Single stage presses are great and produce excellent ammo, but they are a pain in the rear when loading handgun ammo. Rifle loading usually only takes two dies, a sizing die and a seating die, so single stage presses work well.

Handgun ammo requires at least 3 dies and for many handloaders four.

I would recommend you start out with a Turret Press. It will give you the ability to load one at a time as with a Single stage press, and it will also operate as a Semi-Progressive.

Lee make a nice Turret press and is very well liked by those that own them. Redding makes the best Turret press but it's quit a bit more $$.

9. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

Congratulations on your new hobby. Read a lot, ask a lot of questions and what ever you do pay attention to what you're doing. good luck

10. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

I started with the Lee Classic Turret press and I am very happy with it. I knew I would be upgrading if I started with a single stage. Lee makes a package kit that includes most everything you need except the dies, reloading components, and a caliper that I think I paid around $250.00 for. I figured I have already made that money back with the reloads I have done this past year.
    When I first started reloading I would check each round for the right amount of powder on a electronic scale and the OAL with a caliper. Once I felt things were running smoothly I would check every other one and so on. You also can visually check the amount of powder in the casing, if it doesn t look right weight it.
    I don't see myself moving up to a progressive press because there is just too much going with each station doing a different step for each round, so to me it is hard to keep an eye on everything. With being very cautious with my reloading I just dont completely trust the equipment to do everything right every time.
    I have been doing all handgun reloads, 380 auto, 9mm luger, 45 ACP, 38 spc, and 357 mags. I just started doing .223s for my M&P15.
    It is a great hobby but there is a lot to learn and it seems like there is always another piece of equipment to add to your collection. If you cant find an answer to a question after doing some research dont be afraid to ask. I say that because people seem to be more willing to help if you first made an effort to find out yourself.
    Have fun and be careful.

Ken

11. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

I prefer the single press. I have the RCBS set up and I do pistol and rifle rounds. I started off reloading for my glock 22 and 27 which are both .40 cal. It takes no time to know out a batch of a hundred. But usually once you start off with pistol then you want to move up to rifle. To me I think the single stage is alot easier to set up and adjust for accuracy then a multi stage set up. If I went out and shot a 1000 rounds every couple of weeks I would probably want a progressive. But if your just reloading for the 40 cal I would stick with a single stage press. You will make your money back faster and then those bullets will become cheaper. But if you are going to reload for the glock make sure you either get a bulge buster or a different barrel. I only reload my brass 3 times due to the pressures of the 40 and my reloads are usually set at the minimum powder.

12. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I started on an RCBS single stage. As soon as I could afford it, I bought a Dillon progressive. This was a LOONNNGG time ago, but my RL-450 is still going strong nearly 30 years and 100,000 rounds of ammo later.

I still have and use the RCBS for certain calibers and operations. The Dillon will crank out 400 rounds an hour.

Definitely start with a good book. The Lyman's 49th or the ABC's of Reloading re excellent choices.