New to Reloading? [email protected]@k here.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by cpttango30, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Chem-man

Chem-man New Member

After reading amazon's reviews on the ABC's of reloading , many people including novices and experts alike say that it seems a bit outdated and mostly old gun digest articles. I read a friends older Speer book and it seemed very good , I'm looking at getting a RCBS which comes with the Speer book or the Hornady lock and load which has their own book, now for the question , would someone still recommend a black and white paperback copy of ABC's or a Sierra- Lyman - or Nosler to go with the one that comes with the loaders mentioned above ?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i still highly recommend the "ABC's of Reloading" simply because the basics for reloading haven't changed that much in some time. the main developments have been in improved powders and bullets. but the procedures and safety precautions are still pretty much the same as the always have been.

i have the Speer, Barnes, Nosler and Lee data books. all of them are good sources. Nosler in my main go to book though.

Viking likes this.

3. Chem-man

Chem-man New Member

Thanks Axxe55, that enough for me and it's only another $15-16 bucks so what the hay. I'll pick one up now while I'm deciding on which reloader to get , thanks again !

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

4. Axxe55

get the latest edition which IIRC is the 9th Edition. i have the 8th Edition.

its a good book to help establish the basics and the theories about reloading. lots of good information on lots of different subjects associated with reloading like chapters on shotshell reloading and reloading blackpowder cartridges. a chapter on wildcat cartridges. it's a very good book and great reading material as well. enjoy.

5. stratrider

stratrider New Member

Hi Axxe, I have the 9th edition of the ABC's on my Kindle app. That, and all the equipment back home that I'll need. What I don't have is the knowledge. I know that can be a dangerous combination so, everything is at a standstill until I can learn more about this. Another challenge I have is getting a dedicated work space for this. I spied an cool looking work bench at Lowes that looks like it would make a great reloading bench...I'm like a drug store cowboy, all hat and no cow, lol. :D

Attached Files:

6. Axxe55

Strat, just read the book several times. anyone with common sense can reload. you have plenty of that. ask us questions on what isn't clear. there are plenty of experianced reloaders here on the forum, many with more experiance than myself.

that looks like it would work fine for reloading once you get it set up. when my father first started reloading we lived in an apartment in Houston Texas. he built a platform for the press that he set up on the coffee table. when he was done, he kept everything in the hall closet.

7. bradam

bradam Member

Book knowledge and reference helps with practical application. I am almost ready for the second part.:D

8. rockratt

rockratt Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I would still recommend the "ABC'S OF RELOADING" along with a couple of manuals at least. You can never have to much information when starting out.

Strat, Nice looking bench but depending on the press and where you mount it you may loose use of one of the top drawers. I built my first bench myself. It looked like he!! but it got the job done.

9. Axxe55

trust me, you will make mistakes in the beginning. it happens. i did make a few.

one of the best pieces of advice i can give is to check and recheck, and check again if not sure about a procedure.

if you need clarification on something, post a question here on the forum. there are some very knowledgeable guys here that can answer just about any question a person may have. that is the whole point of this forum, to share knowledge and to learn from each other.

in some ways i am still relatively new compared to some these guys. i only started about seven years ago. my father reloaded for many years when i was growing up and i "helped" him reload so even before i started reloading, i did understand most of the basics and by the time i read some books, i was pretty much ready to hit the floor running. i still had some booboos! and i still am learning from these guys. i still am able to share some of my knowledge to some degree with the newer guys or at least point them in the right direction.

10. bradam

bradam Member

I plan on asking questions, that is what I do. For those whom tire of my questions, just let me know and I will change my login name.:) I only desire sub-moa in all of my reloads. Is that to much to ask? I only hope my gear has not gathered rust because of my procrastinated( is that really a word?) ways. I do so apologize for dragging this process out but I must admit it has been fun shopping and reading all the threads. Good luck to all whom have taken a similar path.:eek:

11. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

read all you can and let comman seanse take control. harbor freight has a great bench for about 140.00

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

You will never be able to load anything if you don't get your press mounted on your bench. LOL.

Rust? Hell,if your stuff was made from wood,it would be petrified by the time you get around to using it!
    C'mon Brad,Get busy with it,and load up some rounds. I think I'll need to change barrels on the 6.5-06 by the time you get set-up.

You know I'll walk you through anything you need help with about reloading. I've kinda grown use to your way's of doing things!

THB

13. bradam

bradam Member

Once again, Hammer down by Mr. Txh. but you do have a point. I will see about getting a press on the bench this next week and MAYBE have you quide me through at least depriming. Handguns or rifles first? I'll let you make the call, or perhaps a poll should be taken.:D

14. bradam

bradam Member

Stop The Press:

Not only is my turret press mounted, but today I de-primed 400 pcs of L.C. 12 7.62 :D:D Who knows what tomorrow may bring.

15. veesis1

veesis1 New Member

Ok I'm a total moron. I just ordered and received 1000 rounds of 45acp hollow points for my glock. Much to my surprise I only received the copper bullet tips and not a complete round with casing. I don't think it's in the publics best interest for me to reload but I have a friend who does it and has proper equipment. Is it going to cost me a fortune to get casings and gunpowder to make these compete? Is it worth the time and money even?

16. veesis1

veesis1 New Member

Or should I just chalk it up to mistake I learned from and move on?

17. Axxe55

your probably looking at about $300-400 just for the additional components for reloading depending on what is available and whether it can be sourced locally or has to be ordered.

the figures i used are purely speculative and based on what is available by mail order.

then you have to factor in whether you trust your friends compentence to reload ammo for you.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp

18. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Good luck trying to find pistol gunpowders,there hasn't been any around in a long time.
    I'd just try to sell them,or return them for a refund. Bullets aren't loaded ammo,and most places will let you return them for a refund,if they are in the same packaging they came in.

19. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

H110 and Bluedot are the only two pistol powders I've seen in the last year. Both are "magnum" powders and have other uses as well(shotgun,rifle). Neither is a first choice 45acp powder. Unique or PB are much better.

Primers are back on the shelves, but 20% higher than before. Brass can often be had for the asking at your local police department, assuming they use 45 and not the more common 40 or 9mm. Call it $250-350 to finish your 1000 rounds of 45. This is assuming your friend already has the tooling... :eek:

Tough luck on the bullets, but they are great trade goods for the next gun show! ;)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  20. veesis1

veesis1 New Member

I never thought of a gun show trade. I'll try sending them back for a refund but if I can't the gumshoe trade will work