New to Reloading? [email protected]@k here.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by cpttango30, Jun 25, 2009.

1. bigjim

bigjim New Member

Hi Josh

I kind of like Lee's dies and reloading stuff, but any brand will do the job for you, as to presses that might be a problem now, almost any supplier is backordered even on presses. What type of press are you looking for a single stage press, turret press or a progressive?

Just so I don't get in trouble for answering a question and asking one, I have been reloading for over 9 years and have read, Lyman's 48th & 49th, Hornady's 7th & 8th Edition, Lee's 1st and 2nd and Hodgdon's 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2010 (skipped 2009), 2011th as well as Speer's #13. But no I have not read the ABC's of Reloading.

Getting back to your question, you may have a wait for components and press to become available.

Good Luck and stay safe.
    Jim

2. toyrunner

toyrunner New Member

does anyone have an opinion on a Hornady lock n load AP? I use to have a Lee Progressive in the 90's. worked well, now getting back into it after a 10 year reat.

3. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Im familiar with the reloading process from experience with shotgun shells. Reloaded literally thousands.

Before I spend much time learning about a press, the right primers, the various powders, powder scales and bullets Id like to know from those with experience at what stage does it become economically effective to make the investment of hardware.

I have a .40 S&W M&P and a .308 (7.62 NATO) rifle. I have bought 500 rounds of .40 for $209.00 (41¢/rnd at a Gun show) and 100 rounds of .308 for $56.00 + $6.00 S&H (62¢/rnd) shipped to my house.

How many rounds does it take to offset the initial cost of the investment of hardware and the contents of each round? I know there are many variations of each element of the process and many different presses/die sets.

I can do the math - Id just like to know what some are paying per round for the above calibers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  4. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Well-Known Member

I shoot cast .40 for between $12 - $14 per hundred. Decent quality jacketed bullets would probably push it to maybe $23-$25 per hundred. Bulk purchasing can cut that down some more, I'm guesstimating using local off-the-shelf retail prices. A nice big purchase at Powder Valley or similar could save you big money.
    I don't load .308, but $0.62 per shot seems like something that could be easily undercut without trying really hard. A smart shopper could probably cut it in half without working too much.

Worth noting, if you do your job, well done reloads are more comparable to match grade ammo as opposed el cheapo bulk ammo. How much is a nice box of match grade .308 ammo? ($35-$40ish IIRC) I load .223, I was shocked at how little effort was needed in working up loads that grouped half the size of of the factory stuff I had on hand...in my first ever attempt at loading for it. Handgun stuff is less dramatic, but building ammo that outgroups Wal-Mart Federal or UMC is still easily done without much effort or cost.

5. dwmiller

dwmiller Well-Known Member

100% agreement here I hand load for QUALITY not the cost. Even on match grade .308 my cost is about $30 per hundred. ;) Barnes 169 grain bullets, varget powder, cci match primers and the time to FULLY PREP the cases. No comparable factory load exists. >.25 moa in my varmit rifle

Buy in bulk after you verify the recipe for your gun. Cost is no longer an issue so I shoot MUCH more often. The extra practice definitely makes me a better marksman...

6. wittmeba

wittmeba New Member

Thanks for your replies.

The .40 cal prices didnt seem too bad.

.308 can be bought at shows for 50¢/rnd - they just didnt have the qty I wanted, I didnt have much cash and didnt take credit cards - so we passed.

At the Roanoke Gun Show (Showmasters) Sun Aug 18 my son bought 500 rnds 9MM for $139.00 - 28¢/rnd - not bad. Most of our shooting is plinking/target but I would like to get more serious with the .308. Looking for scope mounts and scope right now.

Im retired so I have lots of time. :)

7. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

Well,
    I guess this is the post that will get me banned.
    I have never seen a copy of "ABC'S of Reloading"
    When shooting Trap and Skeet many years ago,
    I used my "Ponsness/Warren" to load for Trap and Skeet.
    When I started shooting Handguns I went to a "Dillon"press
    and the "Lyman" manual.
    One thing I "WOULD NOT" do
    is use a recipe from an online source.
    OK, now you can ban me,
    For Not reading The ABCS of Reloading.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  8. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Well-Known Member

To be honest, when I started reloading, I did not buy a copy of the ABC's either. Though I have flipped through a copy at the store. I bought the Lyman book, the Lee book and downloaded data from the Powder companies.
    However
    I was not starting blind. I was already familiar with the process for handgun ammo. My father was a reloader and as a youngster, I helped him with the various processes on occasion, at least enough for me to have a decent working knowledge of the process. Any gaps in my knowledge were nicely addressed in the Lyman Manual.
    If one is completely unfamiliar with the process, the ABC's or similar book which would comprise a "Intro to reloading" is advisable, IMHO. The ABC's is a good general "read this and get back to me" book to recommend to some faceless person on the internet that you have no knowledge of. Seeking out a class or a coach might be a decent way forward as well. Sportsman's Warehouse here had classes at one time. I haven't looked recently.
    But if one is familiar with the process, one needn't reinvent the wheel.
    There is more than one way to skin the cat responsibly.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  9. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i do highly recommend the book, The ABC's Of Reloading for those looking to get into reloading or just thinking about it and wanting to understand the procedures and the process of reloading. it is still a good book for even those who are veterans to reloading as well. IMO, it's a very good book and some good reading too.

i don't consider it mandatory to starting to reloading, but it is very helpful, and can save a lot of headaches for the newbie.

10. therewolf

therewolf New Member

The Speer book also hawks Speer product.

I agree with the OP, I was interested in reloading,

and got The ABCs of Reloading, as well as the Hornady,

Speer, and Lyman books, and I don't feel over-informed.

I prefer Dillon Precision, especially their scales. Hornady product

is also top notch.

Some folks get along just fine with Lee.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

I can only answer to how reloading works for me.

First, have you ever shot top notch premium ammo, say by

Speer, Barnes, or Hornady? My reloads, at less than WWB

cost, per box, shoot like the ammo that costs 2 or three

times as much.

I use, and rebox empties,(right at the range) until I have over

500 of a given caliber, of boxer primed brass. Then I get the

proper die set, powder, and bullets.

For me, saving the brass by the box is the easiest way to

keep it organized, for reloading later.

12. bradam

bradam Member

Quality restroom time?

13. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

4 years and people are still butt hurt. WOW.

14. Wildlife72

Wildlife72 New Member

I have a few editions of the Nosler Reloading manuals that I use as a reference when dealing with new calibers.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you can buy relaoding kits that are reasonably priced, and if i had to start all over that is probably the approach i would go with and adding what i needed as i needed it or wanted to upgrade.

one of my more expensive rifles to shoot using factory ammo is my 280 Remington. premium Hornady is $40 for a box and the Winchester BT is $44 a box.

using a cost calculator for ammo, i put in the information it costs to reload and here is how it breaks down for me. using brand new brass, it costs me about $33.76 per 20, and reusing my brass, it costs about $11.76 per 20. this is putting together premium loads with Hornady bullets. so i can can load about 80 rounds for the cost of one box of premium box of 20.

here is a link to the reloading cost calculator.

http://ultimatereloader.com/tools/reloading-costs-calculator/

16. bradam

bradam Member

thanks for the link and thank everyone else for all of their postings on reloading, a big help for myself whom is just starting out.

17. bradam

bradam Member

where to you get your barnes bullets and what is the cost?

18. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

sometimes us newbees just like to hear what the experienced loaders have to say.

19. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Well-Known Member

Ha Ha Ha,That's a great post Shade.
    I don't think that book was even thought of back when I started reloading. My dad bought me a Mec shotgun shell reloader when I was 12-13,because we shot all the time around the farm.
    I started reloading metallic cartridges when I was 16,and I'm 49 now. I learned from a friend of my dad's that was a competitive pistol shooter. Steve showed me all the basics,and it grew from there. He gave me my first press,an old wore out Texan press,but it was a great beginning into reloading for me.

New guy's to reloading don't need to buy any of the Reloading Kits. I'd find a good press,either new or used,and then piece together a reloading set-up with other quality equipment. It's hard to tear up reloading gear,and I'd buy most stuff like scales,powder dispensers,and other expensive items used.
    You can find some great deals on Ebay for used scales and Uniflow powder dispensers.

As for cost savings reloading ammo.
    A lot depends on whether your buying new brass or once shot brass,and also the type / grade of bullets you plan on reloading.
    Shooting premium bullets is where you will really save money. I shoot a lot of Berger VLD bullets out of my rifles in many different calibers.
    If I went and bought loaded premium ammo with these bullets,I'd pay between $40-$60 per 20 rounds. I pay around $38-$42 for 100 of these bullets,and after loading my own,they cost me under $1 a shell.
    So,I'm saving between $100-$200 per 100 cartridges by loading them myself,and they are also tailored to the exact rifle that they are loaded for,giving me more accuracy over the factory stuff.

20. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

well I haven't been reloading for 25 years but I use hornady reloading books, reloading is not that hard and if you stay medium happy on the load chart and keep your OAL reasonable, use a case gage and you can't go wrong. you can croney later on to get your loads best suited for you different types of guns, as far as questions on the forum, thats what most of us are here for, theres no stupid question my gun friends.....