New to Reloading? L@@k here.

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by cpttango30, Jun 25, 2009.

1. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Ok we get a lot of I'm new to reloading what should I buy. There are some on here that like me like RCBS and Dillon some like RL357 like Lee. Some like lyman. Some don't give a darn they just buy something and load on it.

The very first thing you should buy before even comming on here and asking that question is the books below.

ABC's of Reloading

A reloading manual weather it is Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Lyman, Or any other get one maby two. I have myself 2 Sierra, Speer, Hornady, Lyman, Hodgdon, Midwayusa loadmaps for my 45acp. and Precision high power rifle loading.

Look at the powder manufactures web sites. They have tons of info on the web for FREE. Hodgdon who makes Hodgdon, Winchester, and IMR powder has a searchable database of everyone of their powder and thousands of bullets in their's.

Read these book cover to cover and then read them again.

Then come in here and ask specific questions to guys that have been reloading for many years. I myself have been loading for over 25 years. I learned starting at 7 and 8 years old.

Guys of the FTF Reloading forum add to what I have said and I will ask to STICKY this thread at the top of the reloading forum.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2011
  2. tonydewar

tonydewar New Member

3. tuts40

tuts40 New Member

After reading the book, twice, is there a test we must pass in order to ask questions here? Ooops, my bad, I didn't read the darn book cover to cover yet and I've already asked a question! :eek:

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

no, but unlike a lot of things in life not reading the manual in the case of reloading can actually kill you quite easily. for instance using pistol powder for rifle loads will turn your firearm into a bomb. not a good thing.

thats why we stress reading the manual so heavily. it really is that important.

the loading manual is like the holy text of whichever religion you prefer violate the rules laid forth and the goddess of gunpowder will reap body parts or even your life

5. tuts40

tuts40 New Member

I agree, actually. Thankfully, I've looked into the idea of reloading doing research before jumping in. One concept that has come up in about 99.1, er, make that 99.2% of the reloading threads on various forums, most every article written about reloading concepts, and even on a bathroom wall or two (?) is the need to follow a reloading manual for caliber/bullet wt/powder,etc. I like the idea I read somewhere about getting two different manuals and cross referencing them.

So, if I read two different manuals from cover to cover rather than one manual cover to cover twice, would that allow me to ask questions here? ...Damn, another unauthorized question! Sorry... :cool:

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got about 5 different manuals i use. the reason you see different recipes for seemingly same bullets is bearing surface of bullets of the same weight but different makers may be different so the pressure profile is different takes more or less powder to reach max as the case may be.

thats generally why its a bad idea not to follow loads listed for a specific bullet.

7. tuts40

tuts40 New Member

Yup. Just finnished a .40 loading guide and am now reading a Hornady reloading manual. On this post, I will not upset the "gods" of reloading here and ask a question. I re-read the original post and geez, hope I didn't offend anyone by asking questions already. :eek: After reading this book (Hornady reloading manual) cover to cover, I'll read it again so as to be allowed to ask questions.

There is a wealth of experience here with you guys as evidenced by some of the thread answers in here and I hope to benefit from that. However, I realize I am not qualified yet to ask questions per the OP. I'm hoping that I can read a second manual "cover to cover" rather than this Hornady manual for the second time in order to be granted the priviledge of asking questions. ...Guess I'll just have to take that chance when I get there.

I'm amazed, btw, how many people actually read a manual cover to cover and then read it again! ...A lot of people have asked questions and therefore musta read a manual or two cover to cover, twice! There are some dedicated people here, and I hope to be one of them! Either that, or they are getting away with unauthorized question asking...

Maybe it's possible, cpttango30, to get a waiver in order to ask questions here prior to reading a manual cover to cover, twice. (that was NOT in question form) No worries tho, I can wait. So, back to the manual! :D

8. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

Does there really have to be a "tone" to the posts? :confused:

9. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Jeezus, enough already!

10. tuts40

tuts40 New Member

hehe I thought you guys enjoyed a razzing now and again, especially light-hearted ones!

I guess I couldn't resist taking shots at a post that showed an intolerance to newbies, even if those shots were 'friendly' I suppose it's best to let it go seeing as how the tone was apparently misread.

See ya at The High Road and USA Carry.

11. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

If they allow that kind of douche baggery, no you wont........

12. NickTheGrip

NickTheGrip New Member

Wow is all I can say, I was kind of wondering why newbs weren't exactly showered with love as soon as they got out of the introduction thread and after reading tuts40's posts I can completely understand why! hahahaha. I am sure if he answered the same question 100 times by people who refuse to use the search feature he would have them reading the manual 4 times! I too am very interested in reloading and after I have an done some homework and actually have an intelligent question, I look forward to coming back to this thread. (was I brown nosing too bad there! lol) That is if the OP will even come back in here now ;)

13. gunnut07

gunnut07 New Member

I read every single reloading manual I have cover to cover. I even read all the info about the cartridges even ones I don't shoot or own. Shoot I have read Cartridges of the world 4 or 5 times.

Whats wrong with someone requesting you do some research before asking a question.

14. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i think what the OP was trying to get across was, if a person is interested in reloading, and wanting to get into it, read the book, "ABC's of Reloading", as i bought mine several years ago, and there is wealth of information in this book for beginners and veteran reloaders. this was the first book i bought when i wanted to learn how, and still refer to from time to time. the generic question that the OP was probably refering to, " i want to start reloading, what do i need?" comes up very often. get this book, it will tell you what you need, give the basics on the reloading process, and has much needed safety information that should be followed to the letter. without the book and some general idea as to what is involved, we can tell you how, but it will probably sound like quatum physics to a layman! i have been reloading for about 4-5 years now, but watched and helped my father many years ago. i still have questions from time to time myself, but having the basic understanding, i know what someone is talking about when it's explained to me. i concur with the OP, buy the book, "ABC's of Reloading" buy several reloading manuals, (one i recommend, Richard Lee's Reloading Manual, lots of good basic information for the beginner also) and read them cover to cover several times, then ask questions on what isn't making sense.

15. Big Bore

Big Bore New Member

JonM,

Is the shoulder Patch displayed with your comments, of the 60th Artillery Bgd? After returning from Korea in 1962 I was stationed with the 60th around Chicago and wore a Patch similar to that.

16. toyrunner

toyrunner New Member

Does anyone have a suggestion on a progessive loader. I used a Lee Progressive back in the 80's and now getting back into reloading. Thinking of a Hornady LnL AP or a Dillion xl650.

17. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

A friend who does a lot of reloading recommended the Lyman reloading manual because it lists different weight bullets without promoting a particular brand of bullet. I have a Hornady book which is a good manual but they do promote Hornady bullets. I'm still in the studying phase. I plan to learn to load 44 special. I am reading "Handloader's Digest" and thinking I will use Blue Dot powder.

18. Coolhand5599

Coolhand5599 New Member

I guess for someone dyslexic like me is screwed! The only book I have ever read was Calvin and Hobbs cartoon book, and that took me several weeks :) I only wish I was joking

19. josh2142

josh2142 New Member

Looking for 45acp reloading stuff

New to the game look for a press and dyes for 45 acp