new to reloading - equipment question

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lowceiling5611, Jan 8, 2014.

1. lowceiling5611

lowceiling5611 New Member

Considering buying reloading equipment. What is the best bang for the buck without requiring a whole room's worth of space? Is there a setup that can easily reload various calibers?

Calibers that I shoot: .380, .40, .38special/.357, .223/5.56, .30-06, and 12 gauge.

2. Ez2b

Ez2b New Member

You will get all kinds of opinions on the site top of the line is dellon
    I started off and still use the lee load master. I do like this press it was a lot cheaper than the dellon
    But I feel it was a great choice for a starter press it is a progressive press it will make 1 round per pull of the arm. I don't know of a press that will do shotgun cartridges at the same time though

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Firearms Talk mobile app

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Lee Turret for the metallic cartridges. You'll need a seperate press for shotgun. Or a RCBS Rockchucker, Lee Single stage. With that many calibers I would get the Lee Turret as a good affordable press.

4. gr8oldguy

gr8oldguy New Member

I've been using Lee for many years. I used a single stage press for a long time. They are inexpensive and a good way to learn the basics and hone your skills. Don't go into this reloading every caliber you shoot. Start with the one you shoot most often and get proficient loading it. Then add another and so forth. I'm talking about handgun calibers. As previously stated, the shotgun reload is a whole different setup. The rifle will load a lot like the handgun, but has it's own differences. Just start slow and you'll be fine. Good luck in your new hobby.

5. lowceiling5611

lowceiling5611 New Member

Yeah...I will definitely start slow. Probably with .40S&W because I shoot it the most and have the most guns in that caliber. I just mentioned the other calibers because I want a setup that I can easily change to reload the others in the future without needing to buy a lot of extra equipment.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

Shotgun loading requires totally different gear.

Dillon is the best period.

How much you load and how much tolerance you have for repetitive manual labor determines whether you need progressive or single stage

In the single stage world rcbs I consider the gold standard.

If you have some mechanical ability get a used dillon xl650 in any condition and repair it yourself or you can send it off to dillon for a rebuild.

If your buying new lots of folks like the dillon 550 as a step down from the 650.

I do about 85% of my loading on my xl650.

Loading 1000 rounds of most pistol cases you need to handle each of them 4 times or so bottle neck rifle 5 if your doing single stage that's 4000 to 5000 operations doing it single stage progressives can lower it to 1000 or none if you have a bullet feeder.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  7. Crazycastor

Crazycastor New Member

If your reloading from a glock pistol. Make sure you get a bulge buster to debulge the brass.

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

The little LEE Turret is a fine small economical press. I would not recommend it for the 30-06 or other large rifle cases. Yes it will work. Some people trust leaky boats. This little press simply does not have the guts for these jobs. Get an RCBS, Lyman single stage.
    My choice would be the Dillon line. They have a program where you can buy a basic machine and add to it as you can afford. :)

9. Bayou

Bayou Active Member

I don't reload in high volume, so I use a single stage press - RCBS Rock Chucker. I've been using the same press for nearly 35 years without any issues.

All in all, RCBS has extremely high customer service - they stand behind their products regardless of age. So, they've gotten my business the old fashioned way - they've earned it.

I try to buy their products whenever possible.

Bayou

10. CamoToe1

CamoToe1 New Member

My opinion on an economical reloading setup is to start with a quality single stage press like the Rockchucker. The best value may be in a basic kit with scale and powder drop. Then I suggest looking into Lee dies and accessories. Lee produces products that just plain work at a very fair price. The machine work isn't highly polished or impressive, but they work! You will no doubt add to your setup as you progress. If you decide to go with a turret or progressive down the road you'll be glad you have the rockchucker as a stand alone for depriming/sizing on bottle neck cartridges.

Let us know what you decide.

11. bradam

bradam Member

what is a bulge master?

12. jebsca

jebsca New Member

Bulge master? I don't know. Did you mean to put bulge buster that was talked about in an earlier post? That would be a tool to get the last little bit of your brass resized. You may see a bit of brass getting "pushed" towards the base as you use your brass again and again. The bulge buster lets you push the brass through the factory crimp die and resize the whole piece. You should be ok to worry about that later, as you see a need for it.
    Good luck.

13. Kraj

Kraj New Member

14. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Nitestalker,I've been using Lee turret presses for 30+ years,and have loaded thousands of 25/06-30/06-and 300 WM cases with them.
    I don't know where you think they wouldn't have the "guts" for the job. I prefer the Lee turret press over every other turret press made,the others all have too much slop from the turret being supported in the center instead of the outside of the turret head.
    I've had a Lyman,and used a friends RCBS turret press,and they have way more vertical movement of the dies than the Lee Classic.
    I do agree with you if your talking about the Lee Deluxe turret press,it's a great press for pistol's and smaller rifle cartridges,but probably not the best for larger calibers.

15. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I think it depends on the year the press was made, my dad hada Lee turrent press that worked great.. I purchased one that looked like his but the metal seemed light weight and the press would flex with heavier calibers. Since then I purchased a newer one and it does fine. .

16. Nickwashere

Nickwashere New Member

I personally started with a Lyman reloader manual because it has allot of great info for starting out reloading. I got the lee challenger starter kit single stage press (which worked great for any metallic round).. Once I got proficient with a few rounds I wanted to load more volume so I got a Dillon 650 (I suggest going high dollar on progressive press because I tend to messure less and need my press to be very reliable- any load that I want dead bones accurate with little to no variance, I go back to the lee single stage press so I can measure all my loads I find that the lee press works great
    Just started shotshell.. I have a Lee load all 2 shot shell press for 12 gage (it's a little slow but it's only 45 bucks!. It loads 2 3/4 and 3 inch shells and does 6 and 8 sided crimps. . Lyman shot shell reload manual helped allot. . I only do lead so far. . I hear steel and heavi shot is harder.. I imagine I will weigh the shot when go to those loads. . The lead seems to have more leeway in the tolerance.. Keep in mind the Lyman manuals are good for information but they don't have slot of recipes really. . For that I go to the powder manufacture sites. . That's my 10 cent. .

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  17. samnev

samnev New Member

I agree the Rockchucker kit is the way to go. My brother in law bought the cheaper Lee press and was sorry he got it. The Rockchucker I have has been in use for 35 year and never had a single problem, Their customer service is one of the best in the industry. I also have been using Lee dies lately as mentioned the work well and are much lees prone to breaking the recapping pin.

18. bradam

bradam Member

Thanks for the link.

19. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

+1
    This is probably the best way forward.
    My only change would be that you start with .38/.357mag. It will be the easiest to and most forgiving to start with. Then to the .40 and .380. Reloading rifle cartridges isn't really any harder, but there are a few differences.

For the metallic cartridges, I'd point you toward a Lee Classic Turret. It's simple & reasonably priced. Additionally it can be set up to act like a single stage in a couple seconds.

Shotgun, as previously noted is it's own animal.

Wherever you start, be sure to educate yourself thoroughly.
    Recommended reading before you buy anything:
    http://www.amazon.com/ABCs-Reloadin...=1390577100&sr=1-1&keywords=abcs+of+reloading

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014