new to O/O

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by rigjumpr, Jul 11, 2012.

1. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

My forum friends a question for you, I have a Yildiz 12G O/O I admit it’s not top shelf but, it is what it is. The question, how long it will take to loosen up (Break in)? Mainly the tightness of the top Lever and the hinge.

thanks.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

3. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

Agreed but would you suggest as I’m “working it” maybe add a lapping compound to assist the break in?

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You could but it shouldn't be necessary. My father's was really tight. I pulled it apart and cleaned some factory crud out of it, oiled it and that buy itself made a difference.

5. rigjumpr

rigjumpr New Member

thanks I appreciate the input.

Note: the take down, first cleaning was done before the first shoot.

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

I wouldnt doing the lapping thing. When it breaks in naturally the action will loosen. Enjoy it while it still has little play. An issue with break opens of cheap nature is as they loosen up or if they loosen too much (lapping) you will get misfires, no fires, broken firing pins, or worst case hangfires which can lead to injury.

If your gun ever develops any or some of those have it checked and start looking for a new one. Break open shotguns and shotguns under 5k$ i consider disposable. Even the top dollar have very limited, in terms of shotgunning, use.

Just my opinion. Im not a huge shotgunner