New (To me)

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by DrumJunkie, Oct 15, 2011.

1. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Hey guys! Long time no type. I've been away a good while trying to get some other projects done and the back messed up and put me in bed a while. Anyway...

I was wandering around a gun show today and happened across this S&W 28-2 Hwy. Patrol .357. I'm not sure the manufacture date but it's a N5xxx serial which if I remember right makes it a little older but as I said I'm not really sure. I'd love some input in anyone can get me in the ballpark of it's age. I will be giving it a good cleaning then a pretty good time making it dirty again. Range report to come then. Here's a pic. Sorry for the not so good cell snap. I'll try to get some better ones soon.:eek:
    [​IMG]

Hope everyone is doing well. I've missed this place a good deal. :)

2. fmj

fmj Active Member

She sure doesnt look very old! Must be that Smith bloodline helps her to age "gracefully" ;)

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Is it a single action? I really like revolvers. Nice gun.

4. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Great Looking Smith

The gun you have is a very nice gun. Had one for years, carried it for duty use too. You will really enjoy it, I am sure.

5. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

It's SA/DA. Took it out yesterday a little. After a couple figure it out shots it was not much trouble to stay in 3" at 25 yards. (SA)

I do like it a lot. I might change grips to get a little better fit to me but I'm happy enough with it to already put it in the rotation with my other keep em close weapons. I've been wanting something liek this for a while but had not found one that gave me that "lovin' feelin" till I picked this one up.

I'm still looking for a ballpark figure for it's age. I think I'll have to head over to the S&W forums and see if I can get some input there.

6. trip286

trip286 New Member

good gawd that's purdy. I have a thing for S&W revolvers.

7. yogiboobooranger

yogiboobooranger New Member

Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson

Find someone who has this catalog "Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson" and they will be able to give you a date of birth of your gun. For your info, Model 28 was in production from 1954 through 1986. They actually took the model 27, made some cosmetic changes and created the model 28. I carried one of these in the early seventies as a duty gun. Someone at the S&W forums will have the above listed book and will help you.

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

N and four numbers? 1970 or 71 would be the manufacture. Smith does not keep manufacture date info, only shipping date info. They switched to the N-prefix in 1970. I venture to say they made over 10,000 N-frames in that two years.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  9. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Gotta love those vintage Smith and Wessons. Square butt frame, pinned barrel, and recessed cylinder ;).

10. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Very nice find. She is pretty. I am looking for something just like that to add to my collection. Thanks for sharing the photo with us. :D

11. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I agree with Robo, with a 5K S/N I'm sure it was built in 1970.

12. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Nice find. Enjoy that rascal.

13. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Thanks Robo...Figured you or Cane would be the ones that knew. With my team on a bye Sunday I"m looking to poke some holes in a target. I'll ket y'all nkow how it does.:)

14. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Finally got to shoot it a little and this was the first target at 15 yds.
    [​IMG]

It would have looked a little better but I did corner the sights a little on some shots. All in all I'm really happy with how it performed.