New to me SKS

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by kytowboater, Nov 19, 2012.

1. kytowboater

kytowboater Active Member

Just picked it up from the fella. Traded a Taurus pistol and 25 for it. Ill get pics up and details when I'm home. Pretty excited. Picked up 100 rounds of Tula.

2. kytowboater

All numbers matching made in china. How do you figure out the year? Not in bad shape.

Attached Files:

3. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Very nice. I like the Chinese SKSs and their cruciform bayonets.

If I recall correctly you can only "date" certain factory code Chinese SKSs.

I don't think that the date really matters in terms of collector value. Some factory codes and production classifications may matter, unless they were issued pieces.

4. kytowboater

Ah okay, thank you. Tonight google-fu will become strong. Ha, I'll dig around tonight.

5. nfafan

nfafan New Member

Nice CHICOM !! One of the Top 3 if not not Top 2 SKS rifles on the planet! Good deal you got there for a machined-recvr combat-proven battle rifle.

Go here and start reading, tons of good info;

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=102445.0

http://www.victorinc.com/SKS-FAQ.html#_Toc167103936

You'll learn that of the dozens of Chinese arsenals producing the SKS for the PLA, only Arsenal/Factory 26 has information that folks have used to deduce the mfg dates of Arsenal 26 guns.
    This is based on the supposition that since this arsenal was established by the Soviets for the Red Chinese, the arsenal 26 guns have codes that are likely in the same formats as the Soviets used on their own guns.

So, only these "Sino Soviet" SKS can be maybe/probably/possibly be accurately "dated".

The long and short of it is that CHICOM SKS rifles flooded the USA market in the 80's by the bajillions - some with U/F spikers, a few with U/F blades, some in a mix of wood and bakelite. China's declaration of obsolescence was our gain as they are built to Soviet specs and meant for combat; you will enjoy yours.

ETA:

Be sure to clean it - maybe at least check it 3 times. Cosmo is everywhere on these guns, especially inside the bolt. They have been known to slam-fire due to coagulated CHICOM-chapstick.

I bought a used one once and was told it had been fired. I took a nightcrawler-looking blob of cosmo out of the gas tube.
    No way it could have functioned - maybe that is why it was in a pawn shop; "it didn't work"... Now its mint/perfect.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  6. Gh0zt36

Gh0zt36 Active Member

I don't know about battle proven. They were only out like a couple years before the AK came out correct?

Nice SKS either way I have a similar chicom SKS too

7. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

On Chinese SKS's, you add the first digit of your serial # to 1955, that's your year. Mine is a 7, so 1962

8. nfafan

nfafan New Member

Soviets supposedly had a few of the new SKS45 in the Battle of Berlin, but like the JSIII heavy tank - no firm proof.

From there, factor in every one of the proxy-wars in Africa and SEA against "The West" and you'll find SKSs in action.

More than a few SEA bring-backs before the GCA of 68 clamped down on war trophies. Yes, indeed combat-proven.

9. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Lots used in Vietnam because the Chinese and Soviets were kind of slow to get AKs to the Vietnamese. Some used in Korea. Many used in Afghanistan, Iraq, and other shat holes around the world.

10. kytowboater

More pics before the tear down.

Attached Files:

11. kytowboater

My google-fu is weak. Any ideas about date y'all?

Attached Files:

12. kytowboater

So mines a 56?

13. marc29th

marc29th New Member

Nice SKS! I love my 1954 Russian SKS just a plain fun rifle to shoot and if SHTF a good rifle to have around.

14. towboater

towboater Active Member

Nice looking stock. I like!!

15. nfafan

nfafan New Member

It's hard to tell from your pic, but that "traingle" might contain the symbol for factory 6017. See here for some codes of what may have been up like 150 different arsenals:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=11063.0

That said; again - the only CHICOM SKS that can even remotely be reliably, possibly, maybe build-dated came from Factory 26/Arsenal 26/Triangle 26 - the factory the Russians built. The old "add 56 to the S/N and tap your heels 3 times" isn't reliable.
    That's why 50+ year-old CHICOM guns are not automatically C&R like the Yugos, Romys, or Russian SKSs are for example.

See:

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=30811.0

and

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=10830.0

All other CHICOM records are "state secrets" of the still-RED Chinese who would prefer that the West not know the extent of their small-arms mfg capabilities.

ETA -

Regardless, you have a SWEET CHICOM SKS that will never again be imported in the same form that you have. The FrankenCHICOMs that just came in are nothing in comparison to yours. Be glad you have it.

If you have to futtz with it "just because", do not make any non-reversible mods and you will continue to have an investment on your hands.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  16. kytowboater

Thanks you do much for all the info. Wonder what the damn thing is worth.

17. kytowboater

Triangle number is 6017

18. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

I have recent contatct with the owner of this website. http://www.yooperj.com/SKS-32.htm
    There is some great information there as well.

I will agree with the 6017 Aresenal. Probably NOT one that good dates can be derived.
    (The +10 type of method may work only for Aresenal 26)

I sent a few pictures to yoopej. He commented, and he is interested in some pics.

Have fun.

19. nfafan

nfafan New Member

I have one that looks exactly like yours, all-matching, Norinco-marked, Triangle 6-something.
    Considering what Yugos and FrankenCHICOMs sell for these days, and given that the CHICOMs like ours are un-importable due to Klinton Chinese gun-bans - I wouldn't sell mine, and certainly not for under $400.00.

20. kytowboater

Damn. Okay thanks.