New ( to me) Shiloh Sharps 45-70

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by sandog, Jun 25, 2014.

1. sandog

sandog Member

I'd been wanting one of these for years, have been in their shop in Big Timber many times when friends or neighbors were picking up rifles they had ordered. I was always amazed at the fit and finish , beautiful wood and case coloring of their product. I just never had the $2000 plus to pony up for one. I had the opportunity last week to trade for one, it was reasonable because a previous owner had chopped the barrel to 18 inches. I will shoot it a bit this summer then send it back to Shiloh to be re barreled to a more reasonable length. I could live with it if it was 24 or 26 inches as it will be for hunting, not long range targets. It just looks too weird this short. Whoever chopped the barrel that short should be dipped in excrement, but it did make it affordable so I could swap for it. These pictures probably won't do it justice, I've been working long days and getting home late so can't get out to take some pics in the daylight. Need to locate some 45-70 brass so I can start shooting it.

Attached Files:

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

it is a beautiful rifle. it's a shame someone chopped the barrel off like they did. looks even shorter than the carbine version.

3. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

Very nice rifle,,, the short barrel would make a handy woods rifle,,, if you decide that a new barrel is too costly and you decide to sell,, I'm sure you could find a buyer easily.. I've owned European Sharp's copies but they are nothing compared to either of the Big Timber shops in my opinion,, nice buy.

4. sandog

sandog Member

It does have perfect balance when carried by the action. I'd get way too much unburnt powder with blackpowder loads but with smokeless powder like IMR-4198 or faster it should be fine. It will be for timber hunting elk, black bear, etc so could leave it the way it is. It just looks funny that short.

5. yazul42

yazul42 Active Member Lifetime Supporter

It appears to have a shotgun butt, which will help with recoil and it really depends on what you want to use the rifle , for timber hunting as you have stated, I think it will be fine. It may take a bit of tinkering with loads to find one that performs best with the short barrel, but that can be a lot of fun, a good hard cast bullet should do nicely on bear and elk, figuring the short pipe may reduce velocity for jacketed bullet performance. I think you have a winner there,, good shooting.

6. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Aaahhh ! That is criminal to do that to a Shiloh Sharps rifle. I guess the person that did that has more money than sense.
    I bet that rifle is a really good flame thrower.

7. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

That is a cool looking rifle, go pick you up some LEVERevolution rounds & give her a try !..............

8. sandog

sandog Member

Found 100 rounds of W-W brass and had to buy another 45-70 ! I bought a Marlin 1895 Cowboy lever, this one is the shorter 20 inch version, having it shipped to a local FFL so should have it in a few days.

Attached Files:

9. JonM

JonM Moderator

stay away from hornady 45-70 brass its junk. waaaaay too short.

pretty much anything else is good to go. 45-70 brass lasts a long time.

getting brass is either buying loaded ammo and saving the brass. or get on a waiting list for starline on various wholesale/retail lists.

10. sandog

sandog Member

The Hornady brass is probably shorter to work with the 325 grain FTX bullet, which has a longer ogive so the brass length has to be shorter to keep the overall length down. I like Starline brass, used to buy it in 500 round bags in several calibers a few years back when I had a lot of Cowboy guns.

11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Man, does that just kill a very nice rifle.

12. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

its a terrible thing and id probly smack the person who did it but for some reason that looks oddly appealing

13. sandog

sandog Member

I got it out and fired a few factory rounds through it today, Federal 300 gr. JSP's. I was having a bit of trouble seeing the thin blade front sight way down in the full buck horn notch, so I put on my reading glasses and could see the irons nice and crisp, but now the target was blurry. I shot 3 rounds at the 100 yard target and saw no need to make any adjustments. All I could have done anyway was to drift the rear sight for windage, to adjust elevation I would have to try a lower or higher front sight. Then I put up a clean target and fired 5 rounds. I was surprised to see I had done that well, considering the target was out of focus. I will have to go with a tang sight eventually, as I can still seem to do o.k. with a peep that's closer to my eye.

Attached Files: