New (to me) revolver failure

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by p35bhp55, Jan 21, 2014.

1. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

In several other threads I've taken the other side when members have posted that if you want the ultimate in reliability you must chose a revolver. So this is what happened Sunday. Buddy called me for help, his recently cleaned perfectly functioning Taurus 85 would not locked closed. I got out my almost identical Rossi and we compared over the phone. Turns out his centerpin had simply stuck in. He got a small tool and pushed it against the spring till it popped out. Next time he is over we will take it down and check the spring, pin and hole. Not a revolver hater and none of mine are for sale but everything can fail at anytime.

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Revolvers also tend to be more finicky when it comes to repairs. It isn't very often that you can just swap out Parts without issue. Unlike with a semi, you can swap out a spring and throw the timing out the window.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yeah we've covered that "revolvers are bullet proof" thing :eek:
    As I've said many times----those that say a revolver is much more simple & have less moving parts have never tore a DA revolver apart ;)
    FWIW I've only had one problem with the many Taurus/Rossi revolvers I've owned---It was a Mdl 85---On it the cylinder would just lock up--

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

5. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

I am not partial to Taurus, but to be fair, the cylinder pin got stuck during cleaning. It did not jam during normal operation, so strictly this is not a reliability issue. I'd tell him to shoot more and keep an eye on it.

6. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

No, it had been recently cleaned here when he stopped by to sew his UnderTech shirt holster up. That's how I know it wasn't dirty when he started shooting. It failed after the shells were ejected and a reload, when he attempted to close it there was no lock. Guessing this could happen to any brand, but I had never encountered it.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  7. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

Sorry, I misunderstood. With gunk and debris ruled out, it is either moving parts breaking in, or a genuinely poor fit. As much as I hate sending guns back for repairs, I'd do it if it happens again.

8. p35bhp55

p35bhp55 New Member

We will take it apart and look at everything, it's a well used gun he has had it for 6 or 7 years. But I've not had the cylinder rod out and if it comes out I'll be the one to do it. Bubba is a tad rough on stuff with tools.

9. tlech29

tlech29 New Member

I had a rossi .357 and when you would shoot it sometimes the trigger would stay pushed all the way in. I prob only put 75 rounds through it and it started happening more often. Needless to say I got rid of it and wont be going back to Rossi

10. tlech29

tlech29 New Member

The trigger would stay locked up to clarify

11. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Wish you would have sold it to me while you were pissed off at it :p

12. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i like when someone sells something when they are pissed off at it. they usually sell it cheap!:p

13. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Just don't get them pissed off at you if you want to buy it.

14. tlech29

tlech29 New Member

I actually traded iy to a guy my buddy knew for his browning hp 9mm. Had some holster wear but he lost on that trade.

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Love it----
    I'll be called a ass for this but way back in the early 80's I bought a like new Colt 1911 38super nickel if I recall for $50 cause the guy said it was junk--
    (he was trying to use 38spl in it) :eek: :p

16. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

yep, you're an a$$!:p but so am i. i would have done the same thing. without blinking an eye!:p

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I knew the guy - in fact I was with him when he bought it in a beer joint in Longview - gave $200 for it- He was kinda a ass anyway ;)

18. tlech29

tlech29 New Member

Wrong forum sorry

19. otisthecat

otisthecat New Member

That's just being in the right place at the right time.

Had you talked him down to $40 then you most certainly would be an ass.:p

20. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I like your thinking!
    I DID give full asking price :D