new to me Lee Enfield sporter

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by donthav1, Sep 18, 2011.

1. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

hey all, just got this Enfield sporter today. It belonged to a great uncle of mine & no one in his family wanted it, so my grandma (his sister) gave it to me.

I'm new to Enfields & know very little about them other than the little bit i've picked up online in the last couple hours, but this seems to be made in 1906 by Enfield, it's the Short magazine Lee Enfield mk 1 as best i can tell by the markings. what you see is what i got with it, so it's obviously missing the magazine & the front & rear sights have been removed at some point in it's life, it has a japanese Valor 4x32 scope on it.

[​IMG]

i have no idea when it was modified but i'd say for a sportered milsurp i'd say it's actually pretty tastefully done

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. trip286

trip286 New Member

pretty nice... shouldn't be too hard to find a magazine, there are sites out the wazoo for old milsurp guns.

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

"Oh, What a Country" used to have a great deal on all the Enfield mags.

Nice looking sporterized Enfield you have there.

4. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Very nicely done, a few more pictures would be great !

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

V111111111111111111111

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  6. dteed4094

dteed4094 New Member

Looks like a Santa Fe made by golden state arms with an after applied scope. I have one without the Jap scope but with a Bushnell, Shoots great. My first gun. Got it when I was 13 for Christmas 50 years ago.

7. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

sorry for the delay, here's a couple more pics with some of the markings. this thing has more symbols & writing on it than a men's room at a punk bar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

it's kinda blurry (cheap camera) but in the second pic you might be able to see that the barrel & receiver had the same serial number with the letter "T" underneath, but at some point the number on the receiver was scratched out & a new number was engraved above it. anyone know a reason for that?

haven't shot it yet & probably won't be able to until the weekend but if all goes good, i just may make this my deer rifle

8. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

I believe it has been demoted or promoted, I think it was from sniper to regular service or
    visa versa, one of the two I think.

9. Robinnz

Robinnz New Member

Hi . because it is dated 1900 it is more than likely a long tom as it also has no bridge for the charger guide , but it has a metford cocking piece where a long tom should have a long cocking piece with the safety catch on the end .. Have a good look along the top of the barrel if there are only two small tapped holes it has a long tom barrel but if there is a groove across the barrel ( where a pin was used to help secure the back sight )plus tapped holes then it has a later barrel . there may be a longitudinal groove near the muzzle with a small groove to secure the front sight ( long toms had a small ramp sweated on .. I cannot see what the small writing and crest above the smle and date which could tell us more , but there is no doubt that the gun has been returned to the armoury for refurbishing maybe more than once before it was sporterized .. The black tip is typical of rifles sporterized by Parker Hale in England after ww2 .. There other telltales such ascut outs in the forend where the top handguards have been which would have been fillled in by parker hale which would also give a clue as to which model it was originaly .. not a lot of help but may be of interest or help ...Robinnz

10. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

No it`s a SMLE ! Or it was.

11. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I don't like sporters for the most part, but I have to admit that she looks fairly good.

12. donthav1

donthav1 Active Member

it's actually dated 1906 (yet again, crappy camera, poor quality). above the ShtLE is "ENFIELD" with "1906" below that. Underneath ShtLE is the number "1" then a couple small asterisks to the right of that.

i believe most of the bridge on the receiver was cut off except for a small protrusion which was drilled & tapped for the scope mount. looking at it in person it just looks like that's what was done. where the sights used to be are consistant with what Robinzz said about the later barrel & the info i have found online about what the rifle should've had when it was new also confirms that it everything was correct for the way the gun is marked. the bolt handle does however have a diffferent serial number than rest of the gun, so i suppose that too along with the asterisks would seem to point to an arsenal refurbishing.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  13. Robinnz

Robinnz New Member

Hi again ,The mark 1 rifle was approved in 1902 ,as the new rifle , short magazine Lee Enfield rifle it was approved on 23 dec 1902 ,to take the place of the magazine Lee Metford and magazine lee enfield (or long rifle) .. The date 1906 puts your gun in the new rifle bunch ,funnily enough the conversion of the long rifle came some time after the new rifle and was designated the mark 11 , which muddies the water for me as because you say the bolt numbers dont match and the reworked numbers say armoury work .. It really suggests that the body and barrel were new rifle , but the bolt was from a long rifle ..

It is interesting and maybe the gun was put together sometime about when the conversion of the long rifle was takeing place or even a bit after , needs someone closer to the smellie history or enfield records which I presume are mostly still intact .. Robinnz

14. neilage66

neilage66 New Member

This was a popular book for decades in the US...for better or worse.
    [​IMG]

15. bigedp51

bigedp51 New Member

Yours is my brother from a different mother. :D

[​IMG]

On the untouched military rifle you would have half the charger bridge on the receiver and the other half on the bolt.

[​IMG]

With the bolt fully to the rear the charger bridge is complete and ready to load.

[​IMG]

16. Robinnz

Robinnz New Member

Hooray , these are the pictures we needed to see , I always thought that the model with the charger guide having half on the action and half on the bolt head was the Lee Speed however that may have just been a popular name for that model like smellie the one most used here in NZ .. But it clears up the question I put about not having a bridge and having a metford cocking piece , but these turned up on smellies made long after 1906 I owned one dated 1918 that had the metford cocking piece .. I also thought that the Metford rifle was named for the metford system of rifling which was made for use with unjackted projectiles which the later jackted projectiles destroyed in short order leading to the adoption of the rifling form used in all mark 111 rifles .. robinnz