New to me Kimber

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by robocop10mm, Aug 19, 2015.

1. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I just acquired a Kimber Eclipse Custom II 5" .45 ACP. It is a first year of production model with Custom Shop on the left side of the slide. I understand these were 2001 models before the Eclipse became a regular production model.

This one has the adjustable night sights and feels very good in the hand. Not knowing what the round count is, I will be replacing the recoil spring very soon.

The 30 lpi checkered frame gives solid purchase. The front serrations on the slide are a feature I appreciate for press checks. The two tone, stainless and black finish is sweet. It looks like this has about every feature one could desire in a 1911 short of a light rail.

2. KG7IL

KG7IL Well-Known Member

I think you will find that the words "Custom Shop" is as common as the word "Kimber" on a Kimber.

I liked the features that were standard on my covert as well. I think you will like it.
    Give us a report on it's reliabiltiy and function after you spent some time with it.

I have thousands of rounds on my original recoil spring. I have packed it with grass, dirt, oil, pain, saw chips while working. It cleans up good and is still my favorite.

My problem with ejection was my environment and lube. I keep that internal extractor and milled tube clean and all is well.

3. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

4. limbkiller

limbkiller New Member

Congrats on your new gat!! Change the springs as they are cheap and easy to do. Just remember Kimber has know custom shop of any kind. Just something they put on the side of the gun and something I have never figured out. Fools lots of people. Shoot the snot out of it and enjoy!!!!

5. hmh

hmh New Member

If its that early it will probably have hand engraved numbers on the bottom side of the slide.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

From what I have gathered, the "Custom Shop" moniker is attached to models prior to being accepted as "regular" production items. If they sell well the first year or so, they become catalogued items.

The "first year" Eclipse's had ambi safeties. Mine has that feature. The regular production Eclipse's did not have this. The serial number series is different also. KEL 19XX

7. Quentin

Quentin New Member

Nice score, Robocop! Yes, we definitely need pictures!