New To Me Dillon 650- Question

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Vikingdad, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

A neighbor brought by his new Dillon 650 for some help setting up. (I have a 550). We are setting up for 5.56/223. I never run the decapping/resizing die as I do that in a Rockchucker and then tumble them in corn cob to remove the case lube (Dillon lube), so the first station just puts the case into the rotation, then it goes to the prime and powder charge station. My first question is is there a way to stop the primer turret from rotating if you are going to stop feeding cases? I hate to feed primers out onto the floor (which is where they invariably will go).

Next station is the bullet seating and then next crimping. That leaves one die stations empty. Does anyone set up their 650 with all 5 stations having dies in them? If so, what dies do you put there?

Also, a side question. Am I wasting time by depriming/resizing separately? It is my understanding that the cases must not have any case lube on them as it will contaminate the powder and possibly kill the primer. Is this true or am I being overly cautious?

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

I use two tool heads for bottleneck cases. One with just the sizing decapping die and one with the powder seating and crimp die if im using cannelured bullets. I clean the cases then lube them using a cardboard 4sixpack soda flat case bottom. I use spray lube on em when they are flat in there. Couple squirts dump em in the case feed. Size deprime em all. Primer tube is emptyfor this step.

Then i trim if needed and clean the primer pockets trim and chamfer. Then that done they all go into the case feed. Set up the powder seat crimp tool head fill the primer and powder and get after it. Lomg as you dont go crazy with the lube from the resizing it wont hurt anything from the sizing phase.

Stage one is for size/decap, two is for prime/powder charge, three is for the optional powder check or a bullet feed system, four is seating die, five is crimp

Bottle neck cased stuff needs to be run through two seperate times. First is cleaned lubed with spent primer for sizing decapping. Second time is after you have trimmed chamferred for priming powder bullet.

Some people tumble in between but media gets stuck in the flash holes its a pain in the ass when it starts clogging the machine. I just dont bother removing the lube

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012

3. LongRifle50

LongRifle50 New Member

There is no need to clean between lubing sizing and then powder charging. Unless you're dipping your cases in a. Bucket of lube. You typically use spray on lube or can even use an RCBS lube die. Only lubing the outside of the cases lightly. Not enough to contaminate powder or deactivate primers.

4. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

My system was to resize/decap, tumble clean, and put a RCBS universal decapping die in the sizing die station to knock any corncob granules out of the primer pocket.

I know some folks don't clean the lube off after sizing, but I've never been comfortable loading and/or shooting cases with lube still on them.

If you load in large batches like I did, (1000 per session) the time consumed in cleaning, when computed on a per round basis is negligible.

5. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

That's what I have been doing with the 550 but with the 650 I am thinking of doing it the other way. Still yet to be decided at this point though.

6. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

As others have stated, most bottle neck cases some times require trimming. That is the main reason for doing 2 steps.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  7. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

OK, that is helpful. I suppose I could measure each case first and if near the case trim to length they should be good to go ( I have never had a case lengthen to the maximum in one resizing operation). Might take a little more research before I make it a practice though.

He did have the powder check system as well but I have not set it up yet. I will do that maybe tonight. Seems like a good step to incorporate. Are you satisfied with the way it works?

As to a bullet feed, that would be really nifty to have!

8. locutus

The powder check die, if properly set up and adjusted, works quite well indeed.

But it can be a little frustrating to adjust the first few times.

9. anm2_man

anm2_man Member

Even though you measure them B4 sizing, you will never know if they are going to stretch beyond the max until they have been sized. I reload mostly Belt Fed MG cartridges. If I had to guess, at least 50% need a trim. Since I tried this once, I now just run them all thru the Dillon 1200 trimmer and the ones that need trimming get trimed, the other ones do not.

10. locutus

One little trick I learned with the 650. Short pistol cases like .45, .40 and 9MM will often have powder "bounce" out when the shell plate indexes.

When I started the upstroke on the handle, as the shell plate came clear of the tool head, I put my "business finger":D over the mouth of the case coming out of the powder checker, and as the shell plate continued to rotate, I placed my first finger over the mouth of the case that had come out of the powder measure. I kept them there until the shell plate "clicked" into place.

No spilled powder.:)

11. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

I was getting that with .223 cases! Drove me nuts figuring out where it was coming from, then I just slowed down and it went away.

12. JonM

JonM Moderator

As you use it more it will break in and stop doing that. You can adjust the tension of the shellplate bolt so it indexes smoother too.

There is a mod you can do but i dont like the idea of clipping springs unless you have a spare. There is also a fix using very specific type of roller bearings and thrust washer. Cant cut and paste atm but if you google dillon xl650 shellplate powder spill fix you should be able to find links to both methods.

13. locutus

:D But the two finger method is cheaper!:D

14. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

@anm2_man:
    Removing the cam is a bit more involved than I wanted to deal with, I was hoping for a quick switch solution. I'll try and come up with one.

15. locutus

One other little tip.

Get an extra primer assembly, (the entire assembly) and it will make caliber conversion fast and easy. Changing out the primer "wheel" from small to large or vice versa can be a PITA.

Get ten pick up tubes for each primer size (large and small)

That will let you load 1000 rounds without stopping for primer pickup.

And 1000 is a good stopping point to clean and re-lube the machine.

16. Vikingdad

Vikingdad New Member

Great suggestion- I will have to do that.