New to IL, looking for a range

Discussion in 'Illinois Gun Forum' started by PhonicsMonkey, Nov 25, 2013.

1. PhonicsMonkey

PhonicsMonkey New Member

Hello.

Just moved to St. Joe, IL. Wife now works at the Danville VA in the PTSD clinic.

Looking to get to a range soon.

I cannot get in contact with anyone from the St. Joseph Sportsmans' Club, which is all of 10min away. Anyone help here?

Any good ranges near Champaign?

Thx

2. tinkersdam

tinkersdam New Member

Are you looking for pistol, rifle, or shotgun ranges? As far as the Champaign area, there are currently NO indoor pistol ranges within about a 70-90 minute drive. My son and his wife have been searching for a pistol range near the Champaign area for years and can't find anything. The Sportsman's club near St. Joseph is their closest. However, I did find this 'blurb' about an upcoming indoor range in Urbana...but can't find any other info on it. http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2013-09-08/tom-kacich-good-timing-new-business.html

3. WillWork4Ammo

WillWork4Ammo New Member

Chicago.Lots of shooting going on there.

4. CGS

CGS New Member

www.wheretoshoot.org

LOL Danville and St Joe really aren't anywhere "near" Chicago.

5. Eagle1803

Eagle1803 New Member

illinois l-winged administration will probably take the ranges away from the citizens, just give that another year or so and whatever elae they can figure out.

no Offense here But why do some gun lovers Move to that State? ummmm

6. CGS

CGS New Member

FWIW in the last 2 or 3 years we have gotten 2 or 3 new ranges in the greater Chicago area. I know of 2 or 3 ranges that are being planned and going through the process and I expect will be operational within the next 5 years. I also know of a few new ranges in the Central IL area. We have made ALOT of progress in IL in the last 18 months, alot!

As for moving here, good question. Those I have spoken with who have moved here is always 2 reasons. The wife has family here or their high paying job transferred them here.

I was born and raised here. I would move tomorrow on a few conditions, 1) my wife would come with me which she will not because she is addicted to her family. 2) I weren't underwater on my home residence and investment properties. It doesn't make sense to move somewhere and show up with absolutely nothing. At least here I have a house, that is worth less than what I owe, but at least it's a roof over my head.

Realistically I am stuck here for quite some time, at least a decade. I have told my wife I am moving with or without her when the kids finish high school, we are in a very good school district. 13 more years and counting.

7. Missouribound

Missouribound Active Member

I lived in a suburb north of Chicago for over 50 years. As I got closer to retirement and started wondering how I could afford it, I moved to southern Missouri. In Illinois, I had a 3 bedroom home with a family room on two lots. My Gas and electric bills together were about $350 a month. My propety taxes were close to $4000 a year.

Here in Missouri, now live on 5 acres, in a fairly new 2800 sq. ft. home. I have an electric house, and my monthly bill averages about $110. My property taxes are $1100.

Every year I save about $5700 just on those items I mentioned.

Now, do you really need any other reason to move out of Illinois?

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

How far are you from the wisconsin border??

I meet a LOT of illinoise peeps at my fav range fleeing here to do some shooting away from the nazis.

Last range trip I had my suppressed scar17h out there and ran into some poor schmucks from chitcago who about peed themselves after cranking off some supptessed 308 through it.

9. CGS

CGS New Member

Missouri is definitely on my short list. I am really open to anything. All I want is a good size acreage where I can shoot on my own land, maybe 10 or 20 acres, and good access to potable water (which eliminates 99% of deserts unless it has aquafir rights.) Since my wife is all about family she has a cousin in NC and an uncle in FL.

10. CGS

CGS New Member

Which range are we talking about?

11. tinkersdam

tinkersdam New Member

I think we've gotten a bit off topic for this thread. The individual living near St. Joseph was looking for a pistol range. He's in south central Illinois near Champaign/Urbana.

FWIW...there are pros and cons to living in States other than Illinois too. However, being a life-long IL resident, my hat is off to all the DOWNSTATE counties and all their state senators, congressmen, & congresswomen who worked so very hard to PUSH for and get concealed carry passed in this State. Without their support, those of us in northern Illinois are helpless in fighting the Chicago/Cook County run political machine that strangles the State with their political agenda. It is certainly no easy feat. I'm grateful for their persistence and political fortitude standing up to these bullies who, for decades, have used their political power to shake-down the good people of this State.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  12. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

13. tinkersdam

tinkersdam New Member

purehavoc....thanks for posting that link. My son lives in C-U and he'll be ecstatic...particularly with the high-powered rifle capability too.

14. Shade

Shade New Member

Cham-bana "south central IL"???

It cracks me up how most everyone north of I-80
    thinks everything south of 80 is southern IL...

(I grew up in Cary)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  15. JonM

JonM Moderator

Mcmiller over in eagle wi. There is also bristol but that range isn't very good and run by a bunch of not very nice folks

16. bigjim

bigjim New Member

He is 4 hours from the border. Bristol is a joke for a range.

Your closest range right now will be the Illinois State Rifle Association near Kankakee. But it is an outdoor range but has both pistol and rifle ranges.

http://www.isra.org/range/

Jim

17. CGS

CGS New Member

McMiller is great except for the 300 yard RO, but it's a long drive for me :( Bristol and their one round policy sucks. I never had a problem with the management there.

18. Shade

Shade New Member

2 50 yds pistol ranges
    100 yd rifle
    100m rifle
    200/300 yds rifle
    Shotgun
    and archery

For cold and hot weather they have sheds with both heat and A/C.
    And year around bathrooms with showers if needed.

And the best part is it is 10 minutes from my house!!! :D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  19. tinkersdam

tinkersdam New Member

...and I grew up in Kankakee....

It's a bit like EVERYONE calling anything within 50 miles of Chicago a SUBURB too. FWIW... I went to school at U of I...so I DO know where it is. C-U sits almost exactly midway in the length of the State which is 390 miles long. I live 5 miles from the IL-WI line in the NE end of the state, 187 miles from my door to C-U ....so that IS, if you do the math, south-CENTRAL IL. to me. I didn't refer to it as "southern IL".

20. Shade

Shade New Member