New to hunting

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by KateHasaGun, Nov 10, 2013.

1. KateHasaGun

KateHasaGun New Member

Hi,

I am a long time shooting enthusiast, but have never hunted before. My brother and I, (he has never hunted before either), have seriously considered taking hunting up. I am a chef and want to get a little closer to my food.

Most of my shooting thus far has been shotguns and pistols. I wanted some opinions on the 3 guns I am still considering.

1. Compact Remington 700 in .308
    2. Micro Midas X-Bolt in .308
    3. Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle in .308

All three feature about a 13 inch pull. At 5'2", a short pull is absolutely needed.

2. JayCody

JayCody New Member

It would depend on what you are planning to hunt. Some states have a hunter safety course and I recommend any new hunter take the course to further their knowledge of game preparation and hunting safety.

3. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

You might want to consider a 7mm-08 rather than .308? Given your size and the rifles you are considering the 7mm-08 would be much more fun to shoot.

Of the three you listed I would probably opt for the Browning. I'm normally a Remington fan but Browning is also a fine rifle and that Micro Midas would be tough to beat for the smaller rifles.

Good luck! :)

4. Chief-Long-Iron

Chief-Long-Iron New Member

I cannot speak of the other two rifles you mentioned but I myself own a Remington 700 chambered in .270, it is an excellent rifle, paired with a leupold scope it drives tacks at 200 yards. The specific model you mentioned (700 chambered In .308 ) Is a very popular rifle among military marksmen and snipers, and I have heard not but good reviews. Good Luck!

5. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have a Browning X Bolt Hunter in .308, great shooting rifle.

I cannot see how shooting 140 grain 7mm vs 150 grain .30 cal projectiles would significantly reduce recoil on the "08" platform.

6. TLuker

TLuker Active Member

I can't either but it does? Seriously I have no idea why but the 7mm-08 has noticeably less recoil than a .308. And for the record I'm a .308 fan and have taken two deer with it this year so I'm not anti .308 by any means. I'm also a 7mm-08 fan and I think it is a much better round in smaller lighter rifles. And both have impressive ballistics. :)

7. rockratt

rockratt Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I shoot both and you will not go wrong with either.....

8. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Kate,

Just getting into hunting I would suggest just going with the regular Remington 700 BDL or CDL rifle and save the extra money for a good scope. In addition you might look around and get a fantastic deal on a good used one. Most of the time they are hardly used if any. Purchased on a whim and then put in a safe!. But the best scope you can get and then select a rifle to go with it. Most buy and reasonably expensive gun and then put a cheap scope on them! :) I would also suggest the 308 to start. It is a good caliber for most all of the normal North American game. Everything from Deer to Black Bear.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

5'2", you may want to look at a different caliber then .308. It can have pretty stout recoil in a light package. I would suggest a 6.5x55.
    The Howa hunting package comes w/ a decent scope, more then you will probobly ever need and a Walnut stock. MSRP is 709.00.

Here is a .243 that may fit the bill.
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/how...ock-blue-steel-finish-9x42-scope-p-85946.html

What you are planning to hunt makes a difference.

10. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

What jpattersonnh brings up is very true. The game being hunted and the terrain have a lot to do with choosing a rifle and caliber. If you are hunting in California the terrain can be pretty varied, from tight woods to sparse treed hills or brushy desert. So a bolt gun makes sense. The .308 is a logical choice as well. It can have sharp recoil but not so bad that you can't learn and grow with the rifle. A 7-08 does seem to kick a bit less and .243 is very manageable as well, but if you are after some of the western mule deer with potential long shots I think the .243 is pushing it a bit. If you consider elk at all then the 7-08 is definitely the minimum I would feel comfortable with.

Any one of the rifles you mentioned would serve well. I also would recommend looking at some if the package guns out there that come with a scope. The Savage 11 or 111 is a pretty good deal with a Nikon scope. A buddy just picked up a .270 a few weeks ago and it is a pretty good deal, shoots very accurately and is a reasonable weight. His daughter was shooting it yesterday with no problems as a first time shooter and keeping all of her hits in a deer target's vitals on her first 5 shots at 100 yds, then breaking clay pigeons on the berm. She is 5'3 so not far off from your size. The .270 is another good round with good reach and not too punishing recoil.

11. Triumphman

Triumphman Active Member

I would go for the Rem 700 with your selection. Also don't forget there's also some other great Rounds out there. 243Winchester(based off the Short Action) and 270(based off the Long Action---a little sharper recoil).
    The 270 and 308 both offer great Bullet selection for "Off the Shelf" Rounds while offering good Impact Kills. The 243Winchester offers less Recoil, good Kills, but with the Bullet being so much smaller, the shot placement is more critical to leave a Blood Trail if the Animal does get hit but runs off where you need to Trail it. Of course, this could happen with any size Bullet when hunting. Not every Animal will Drop in it's Tracks, so you will also need to learn how to Trail an Animal as a follow up.

You mentioning as never been hunting, I would ask some advice from Friends and ask to tag along(without a Weapon) to get a feel as to what really goes into a Hunt.

Hunting is a Life Time of learning and Respect for the Outdoors. There's more to it than just having a Rifle in your Hands and pulling the Trigger.
    Del

12. DeltaF

DeltaF New Member

Looks like you like the .308. Good for you! I wouldn't pay any attention to the caliber junkies, especially if you've shot one before.

Id get the Remington 700 if I were in your shoes. I'd also try to find an older one used and in good condition if possible. That way you'd have plenty of extra money to spend on a good scope.

Something else to consider, if you're shooting the .308 and you've got a smaller frame, you want a good solid stock with a nice recoil pad.

13. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

And yes if you are new to hunting, get to a hunter safety course, and see if you can find a good seasoned mentor to learn from. Scouting is essential in honing your skills and improving your success. If you can find a bow hunter who has been successful, they are usually very knowledgable as they have to get closer to game. You're probably out if luck for trappers in California, but they also are usually pretty knowledgable on animal tracking and behaviors.

14. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

I don't think you'll have any trouble with the .308 Win. cartridge. I'm a big man but I find the recoil very mild in my Savage 110 bolt-action rifle.

Making the "shot" in hunting is the most important aspect of the sport. However, it is a miniscule portion of hunting. Spend as much time reading and watching videos of good habitat, interpreting sign, organ placement, tracking, game care, and the other integral parts of hunting as you can prior to your first hunt.

Also, like SSGN_Doc mentioned, you can spend a lifetime learning what a seasoned mentor can teach you or you can become a good student of his/hers and cut about 15 years off of that learning curve!

Then get out there and enjoy it! Remember this, the harvest is only part of the experience, enjoy it all!!