New to hunting... What caliber should I buy.

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by Rockjeep94, Jun 5, 2012.

1. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

Ok so iam new to hunting, and I dont know alot about rifle calibers, (always had handguns) going to ne hunting deer, elk, and occasional javelina in AZ what caliber do I want 300? 30 06? 7mm? Thank you for the help. Suggestions on rifle brands or models would be awesome also. Not looking to break the bank either.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I shoot .308, .270, .280 and 7 mm mag., any of these will work for you.

Savage gets a lot of love these days, Ruger American rifles appear to be a good value.

Rem 700, used Browing A bolt, Winchester model 70, Ruger M77, lots of choices out there.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

any of the calibers you listed would work fine. the 30-06 is probably the best of the three because of the availablity and selection of factory ammo. also the 30-06 is a chambering that just about every maker of rifles offers.

you didn't specify a budget, so there are still many brands to choose from. Remington, Savage, Marlin, Ruger, Browning, Howa, Weatherby, ect., ect.,,,, check out the pawn shops and gun stores for decent used rifles. any upcoming gun shows in your area?

4. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

30-06 right off the bat. What kind of ranges will you be shooting?

5. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

I honestly dont know... But from here and talking to local gun shops and some friends, im going with a 30-06 ive got about 500$ can I get a decent rifle for that or do I need to wait and save some more?

6. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

You can get a good rifle yes. I have a mossberg 100 in 30-06 that shoots beautifully if you dont mind a lil kick :p. the mossberg was 300 but put a different scope on it or at least get better rings

7. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

the Mossberg ATR100 in 30-06 is the hardest recoiling 30-06 i had ever owned. for a hunting rifle i will say it is accurate and well made an would say it's a good option for a hunting rifle if money is tight. i do like my Marlin X7's better, but for the cost of the Mossberg, despite the recoil, it's a very good value. mine would shoot 1/2" groups all day long with handloads, so i will say it's dang accurate rifle for the price. might even check and see if you can find one used. another suggestion on the ATR100, go with a good scope and rings as IneverFTF suggested, as they do need them.

8. 00possum

00possum New Member

Yep pretty good, except you forgot howa, ;) but everything else is good

9. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

All I can say is get a Thirty Caliber.............

10. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Don't over look a 308 cal. But a 257 robertsor 260 rem, 270 or 280 would do. Might be better to have a rifle that does not beat on you to much. That way you will spend more time shooting and getting better with it. Today with the bullets avalible to use most any caliber can work well. Just needs a good shooter.

Depending on your buget for a rifle savage/Stevens 200 or Savage Edge, Howa, T/C Venture, mossberg, and going up in price tika, and cz.

Scope. Sightron , redfield, and price keepd going up. Heck they all work. . Maybe look to buy older used rifle scope combo and get a solid well made fiream.

11. mattybock

mattybock New Member

i'd go with a simple caliber that's to be had everywhere. The US big 3 are;
    30-30, light for elk.
    308 winchester, nice all around.
    30-06, pretty much all game can be taken with this round, save for thick skinned meanies like cape buffalo.

Go with 30-06 if you can afford the guns that fire it.

If cash if tight, and it always is today, go with a sporty mosin nagant ($120 gun + $70 new stock = $190 fine rifle) in 7.65x54R, which is just fine for everything in the US. Because the mosin, 30-30, 308, and 30-06 bullets all of are the diameter, reloading is very open to you with this cartridge, and practice ammo of the surplus type is dirt cheap.

12. jman69

jman69 New Member

30-06

I have many rifles and have taken game with many calibers. All in all, the 30-06 would be hard to beat, and the ammo is far cheaper than anything that says "magnum". Price a Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06. They feel great and will shoot with anything out there. They also have a real nice trigger.

13. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Jman are you talkng about the older vangaurds? The new ones have a crappy synthetic stock and feel waxy/slippery

14. Rockjeep94

Rockjeep94 New Member

Thanks for the info everyone. I think ill find a 30-06. Sounds like everyone likes it.

15. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I bought my Winchester 70 in 30-06 for a little over $300.

16. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Good choice, now go look at Savage..............

17. jman69

jman69 New Member

Yeah the stocks could be better but there's rubber where your hands are so they're pretty manageable. At less than $400 tax and all its a pretty good deal.

18. ineverFTF

ineverFTF New Member

Eh to each his own

19. lilrichthedragon

lilrichthedragon New Member

I have to second that. I own a 91/30 mosin and I love that gun. the bullets are cheap and are perfect against deer it boar. I payed I think 104 dollars for my mosin and the only thing I've done to it was replace the rear site with a scope

Attached Files:

20. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Im a fan of having choices, hard to pick just one cal for anything cept Elephant! If your new, try a few, old not new, nothing wrong with a Shotgun or 2 and a few barrels and a 30-30 or 06. Both can be gotten rather inexpensively and then you can broaden your horizons as you wish. For less than $600, you could have 3 nice pieces, you just have to keep your eyes open for real deals, and just like a car, when in doubt, ask a Mechanic (Gunsmith) to check it out. Get the bare bones and you can build on it custom as you wish, thats where the real money comes in and its often money better spent. Buying used optics can be more risky than a used weapon that's been cared for. Just like a used car, you save huge money.

I have never bought a brand new weapon and Ive never lacked for it. Many critters have fallen to my old Ithaca's, Mossberg and Wards Western. My Remingtons have done their share of whacking themselves.

Gun shows are a great way of picking what your looking for, they offer all sorts of options you can dry fit and play with before you decide. Then start the real Hunt for you new (or Used) Hunting Weapon (or Weapons).

Happy hunting!