new to handguns

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by VASH1456, Mar 23, 2012.

1. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

I was wondering if the .45CAL and 9MM HI-POINT handguns are good and accurate guns for the money.

2. Sicilian13

Sicilian13 New Member

Not a big fan of highpoint

3. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

If quality means anything to you, avoid hi-point

4. Misfire

Misfire New Member

They are what they are. Inexpensive firearms. But they work. And if they don't, Hi-Point will make them work. Best customer support in the industry, hands down. Friend of mine bought one. Jammed constantly. Called Hi-Point. They sent him a prepaid overnight shipping label. He got it back in under two weeks, and it's been 100% since. And they sent him two free magazines for his trouble. Try that with Glock, Springfield or S&W. I wouldn't buy one for defensive use and bet my life on it. But for good, cheap, fun shooting, you can't beat them.

5. PositronDave

PositronDave New Member

I shot a Hi-Point 9mm before, bulky, didn't like it.

6. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Buy a quality handgun. Do not start shooting with low end handguns like Hi-Points. Ruger makes some very good handguns for the money.

7. bub72ck

bub72ck New Member

Can't speak for the others but SA customer service is top notch. I bought a 1911 and the grips were different colors. SA sent me a pre-paid shipping label to return the grips and let me switch the grips to something else that I requested for no cost. I'm sure if one of the guns I own from SA were to have issues they would be more that willing to make it right.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

If that is all you can afford, then go for it.

Do you remember hearing about how cowboys of old used to pay one month's pay for their firearms (a device they relied on daily, kinda like self-defense needs today).
    Now consider accessories (holsters, belts, extra magazines, etc).

I would look at other firearms that have a big following. There has to be a reason that I have not seen or handled a Hi-Point where I shoot.

9. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

I checked out a Springfield XD today at the gun store by my house. It was really nice. They wanted like $440 for it. I think I might get it. Also my buddy has a Taurus 9mm for $350. I think I might pay $90 more for a new gun instead of a used one.

10. mdemotte

mdemotte New Member

The XD is top quality!! Taurus is hit or miss! Some are quality others leave something to be desired. They have too many models in their stable! I would say Springfield gets an A Taurus is more like C+/B-. If you can afford it the Springfield would be your new best friend. I would echo that Ruger has the best value for the quality.

11. wjnfirearms

wjnfirearms New Member

If Hi Point is all you can afford, then it will be ok. They are not the finest on the market, but are much better than a few of the other bargain basement firearms out there. They are not well suited for concealed carry, but for home defense or plinking, adequate. I have to disagree with the ranking that Taurus was given by another member here. I find them a bit better than a "C" in general. If you can get some more dollars up, you would be better served in the long run by Taurus, Springfield, even Kel Tec.

12. Viking

Viking Active Member

I looked at a Highpoint once and although I don't have a lot of income I just couldn't see myself buying something that wasn't up to my quality standards. I was able to wait until I could afford a better firearm. This being said, if all I could afford was a Highpoint it would at least put a firearm in my hands. The worst firearm I've ever owned was many years ago I badly wanted a double action .44 mag revolver but couldn't afford a S&W model 29 so I bought an RG DA .44 mag, it functioned but I really didn't trust it and sold it back with loss to the dealer. I won't do that again unless I'm willing to have a throw away weapon.

13. Reaper61

Reaper61 New Member

Save the money you were going to spend on a High Point and wait until you can afford a better gun.

14. pdbonds

pdbonds New Member

For the same reasons I also found myself considering a hi point. Luckily, I listened to friends that were more knowledgeable than I and saved my money. Within 6 months I had enough to get my Beretta 40cal!

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Gee, I thought nobody wud ever ask :confused:

[​IMG]

16. Viking

Viking Active Member

Hossfly, don't let it get to you. You just have to have patience with newer guys, even I forget that at the top right of the page is a Search box.

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yeah I know but jeeze :eek:
    Sides, ya'll know i love to rag on hi punt questions :p

18. VASH1456

VASH1456 New Member

I knew that this question would eventually catch the eyes of some smuck.

19. MrWray

MrWray New Member

Hossfly is hardly a smuck, once you get some posts under your belt maybe you will be able to tell the difference