New to Handguns, I would like some advice or opinions.

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by morgoth, May 23, 2014.

1. morgoth

morgoth New Member

I am looking at buying a 1911 style handgun in 9mm
    There are so many options, I am on a tight budget.
    There are a few that fit into my price range, these two caught my Eye and I wondered what the experienced folk here thought.

STI 1911 SPARTAN 9MM

or

ROCK ISLAND ARMORY 1911

The STI is a little more expensive but not that much to count it out.

Thanks
    M

2. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'd had two RIA Tactical's in 9mm (still have one) & never a problem with either. Except for Colt it the only "brand" I have actual experience with-
    I'd buy another without a 2nd thought for the money.

3. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

I have an RIA tactical 9mm 1911, very pleased with my purchase. Novak sight, chose to install a Fusion fiber optic front sight (tip of the hat to Hossfly).

I also have an STI Spartan in .45, very nice gun, better finish, stocks, Bomar rear sight, factory fiber optic.

I have shot the RIA more because ammo is cheaper.

I could have bought an STI Spartan 9 before I bought my .45, but the saying goes, you snooze, you lose.

Either product you describe will function, but you will likely spend the difference upgrading your RIA, so get the STI. If I am not mistaken Armscor (RIA) does contract work on the Spartan for STI, if not Armscor, another company in the Philippines does. Tiny roll mark on the frame of my Spartan says made in The Phillippines.

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  4. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Both are good choices. Did you know there is a connection between those tow models? They are both bulit by Armscor in the Philippines which is the largest 1911 manufacturer in the world.

However, on the STI Spartan only the frame, slide and barrel are made by the STI Division of Armscor and built to STI specs. All the internals are made by STI in Texas, After the guns are assembled, they are shipped to STI for quality control and distribution. Of course all warranty work is done by STI and they have one of the best customer service departments in the industry.

5. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Kimber !...................

6. CaptMidnight

CaptMidnight New Member Supporter

Colt is always my choice. I recently picked up a RIA .22 TCM. The RIA is a real bargain. Nice trigger and sights.

7. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Of the two, I'd go with the Spartan. For the simple reason that it's done up to STI standards. STI is a top shelf maker. That said, the Rock Island would likely serve you quite well with no drama. Both companies have a solid reputation for taking care of customers, so no real fear in that regard.
    There is no wrong choice here.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Think of it like a car.
    You can get any Chevy or you can get a Chevy from a dealer who has specifics in mind.

STI from the two.

9. morgoth

morgoth New Member

Thanks for the advice Guys.
    Some good info there.

M

10. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

I go with the Rock Island!! Good quality and dependable.

11. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I say screw the budget, and go hunt down a Dan Wesson Pointman 9mm. You only live once, no sense skimping.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

12. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

I prefer the RIA's clean GI lines over the ugly front-serrated Spartan. But, the STI does come with the cool hi-viz front sight and adjustable rear. Are those upgrades and the US-based QC/CS worth the extra scratch? Only you can decide.

Bonus with the RIA is you'd have more left over for mods and ammo. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

13. Easy_CZ

Easy_CZ Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]STI

[​IMG]RIA

14. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

Grips can make a difference!

DSCN0575.jpg

15. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

I'm sorry but the top is butt ugly compared to the bottom :(
    Hey! Kinda like some wimmen I've known :p

16. DrFootball

DrFootball disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED... Lifetime Supporter

I bought the RIA about 6 weeks ago. Changed out the Grips yesterday. Going out to shoot it tomorrow. Would love a Pointman, a Metro Arms1911-9MM, or even the Taurus PT1911-9MM to shoot against it to test out, even the STI...

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

17. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

RIA is probably the best bet on a budget for a true 1911.

Since you said '1911 style', there are also good double-stacks that could work. BHP and CZ 75 are both very much in the 1911 syle...they're basically double-stack, high capacity 9mm 1911s. Used BHPs can be found for around $600, and new CZ's for that much or less. There are also very good clones of each that can be had for well under $500.

I'm a 1911 owner and fan. But my go-to 9mms are a BHP, CZ75, as well as a 75 clone. Apart from the thicker grip, they operate pretty much the same.

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  18. therewolf

therewolf New Member

You'll be happier later, if you wait till you

can afford either an FN Nato Browning (GP35)

or a CZ75 in stainless steel. Both are worth every dime

of 750 $. But you'll own a gun you want to keep for a

lifetime.

19. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Having shot both the standard RIA, and the STI Spartan in .45 I will say that it may come down to what you want in features and how you intend to use the pistol. The Spartan gives you quite a few nice features for the money, with some upgraded internals. My gunsmith back in GA said he couldn't take a base 1911 and fit parts and make accuracy upgrades for less than what the Spartan was selling for.
    If you are looking for a "match" or "target" gun on a budget then the Spartan is hard to beat.

If you are looking for a more general purpose gun that may be carried or given some hard use, a tactical model may make more sense, due to the more fragile sights on the Spartan, which are more suited to range/target use.

If you like the feel, hand fit, and short/light trigger pull of a 1911 I don't recommend going to a double stack, double action pistol. Stick to a 1911.

20. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

I looked at both pistols. Shot a RIA, a Kimber, a Colt and a Springfied. I bought a Glock.