new to gunsmith

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by zchshaw, Feb 1, 2012.

1. zchshaw

zchshaw New Member

I'm wanting to get into gunsmithing and I was wondering if anybody had any tips on where I could get some training and help I'm wanting this more as a hobby. Thanks

2. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ask if any of your local smiths want a apprentice or google websites of classes.

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

3. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

4. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

If you search this site for gunsmith school you will find a ton of info.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Hmmm... Colorado. Incidentally I just applied for a job in Colorado... I'll have to investigate this further...

6. zchshaw

zchshaw New Member

Thanks guys but I'm bout to go into the army and I wasn't wanting to know if there's any good books show magazines that stuff I might use my g.I. bill fir it

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

The army can and will provide gunsmithing training. Best part is, your actually making a living at it right away.

8. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Trip286 Trinidad State is very good. The area is on the NM border near the NRA Center at Raton. Had some family that homesteaded there during the frontier days.:)

9. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah I looked at it, the job I've applied for is in Gould, between Ft. Collins and Walden. A long ways to go if I end up living in that area, which is what I'm hoping for.

10. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Thats a long way from Trinidad. Walden is a nice area not far from the Free State of Wyoming. :D I have a friend in Red Feather, Colorado.;)

11. murraywc

murraywc New Member

there are several correspondant courses like "Foley Belsaw" but I don't know how good it is

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

Do you follow the mixed martial arts any? I have a friend in Walden who does a little fighting, actually, I think he's paying the bills by fighting. How far away from there are you?

13. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Trip I am 350 miles about 7 hrs. west of Walden, Co. No I don't know about that kind of fighting. I worked with a fellow for years who ranched north of their. He sorta went to Hell, He moved to Texas. It is out in the country. The Medicine Bow Country of Wyoming is just north of their.:)

14. trip286

trip286 New Member

Oh well, I was just looking for something we might know mutually.

15. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I understand. Moving from the low lands to the High Plains will be rough the first winter or so. But to get out of those eastern states will be worth it.:)

16. trip286

trip286 New Member

Man I was just telling someone else how good we have it in mississippi! We are pretty free here, really the only thing I don't like is that a permit is required to CC. But it's easy to get one, about $140 every 4 years, no classes, and if you pass the check to buy a handgun, you'll pass the check for the permit. There are a few other things that piss me off, but the gun laws aren't one of them.

17. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Some folks are more comfortable in the more populated Eastern States. Thats OK if you are happy thats the place to live.:)

18. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Ill move to wy in a heartbeat. Almost no gun laws, lots of different game to hunt, chris ledouxs grave in Kaycee, lots of wide open spaces, and did i mention home of chris ledoux?

19. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Chris ranched up near Kaycee, Wyoming. My son cowboyed on the Bar-C . The last time I saw Chris was at the Fireside Bar on CY Ave. in Casper. He was a nice fellow even if he was a Texas transplant.:D

20. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Hes buried on the family ranch...or supposed to be. Casper is one of my favorite places. So is Rock springs