New to Fourm & S&W Question

Discussion in 'Revolver Handguns' started by ridgeline, Jul 4, 2010.

1. ridgeline

ridgeline New Member

I have a S&W Double Action. Dose anyone know what year it was made & what model ? It is a .38 S&W The number on the inside of the frame near the piviot is 40529, there is also what look's like a P above those numbers.
    Serial number 886XX. Thanks for your Help.

Attached Files:

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

That appears to be a "pre Model 11" .38 S&W Military and Police. They were introduced in 1936 and made til 1965. Yours is a 5 screw which puts it before about 1947 (?). It is .38 S&W, NOT .38 S&W Special.

3. ridgeline

ridgeline New Member

Thanks for the infomation, my family has a police background so it makes sense.

4. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Just remember what Robo said, .38 Smith & Wesson is a different cartridge than .38 special. However, they are available.

5. ridgeline

ridgeline New Member

Thanks, would it still be safe to fire with the correct ammo ?

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Only your gunsmith knows for sure. No one can tell you whether it is safe or not from a picture. Looks to be in pretty good shape for a 60+ year old Smitty but have it checked out to be sure.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  7. ridgeline

ridgeline New Member

I will take it to a smith befoer I shoot it, it has very little wear for as old as it is. Thanks

8. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The .38 S&W cartridge is a very low power one by today's standards, but it will certainly kill. The revolver will almost certainly contain the energy, but if the timing is off it may shave/spit lead and be dangerous to shoot.

A gunsmith is certainly the first step.