New to forum, New to guns, Need help

Discussion in '.22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion' started by Vallejo, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Vallejo

Vallejo New Member

Okay I have absolutely no experience with firearms. I do have a basic knowledge but just no hands on experience. With that I came to a conclusion of 4 different .22 rifles:

H&R Single Shot Sportster
    Ruger American Rimfire
    Henry Lever Action Octagon Frontier Model
    Remington 572 BDL Fieldmaster
    Ruger 10/22 TD (w/flash suppressor)

What do you think? I can only get one and I'm 19 if that makes a difference.

2. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Any of them but the H&R. Not that it's not a good rifle you'll just quickly become bored. The bottom three are all excellent and I've shot or owned them. The Ruger American looks good but for a bolt action I lean towards Savage with accutrigger. One you don't have on the list that should be considered is the S&W M&P 15-22. That would be my choice if it were on your list.

3. freetobefree

freetobefree New Member

Welcome from Utah... IMO the Henry lever action would be my choice... Henry doesn't make a bad gun

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Firearms Talk mobile app

4. Vallejo

Vallejo New Member

I'm not a big fan of AR style rifles. I, for some reason, have the idea in my head that they're complicated and hard to clean.

5. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Actually it is easier to clean than the 10/22 and far easier than the lever. It is on par with a bolt gun for ease of cleaning.

6. JW357

JW357 New Member

I own a Ruger 10-22. Excellent gun. I've never had an issue or failure.

That being said, I think levers are more fun. I would go with the Henry.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

7. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

That's the great thing about the AR design. They are extremely easy to clean and maintain. My .22 rifle is the S&W AR15-22. If I were looking at others besides the S&W, my choices would be

Ruger 10/22
    Marlin Model 60
    And the Henry... just because it is so dang cool. :)

8. Vallejo

Vallejo New Member

Seems that the Henry is the the most fun but I am now really interested in an AR .22. How is the Ruger SR22 incomparison to Smith & Wesson's M&P 15-22?

9. ScottA

The Ruger is a 10/22 dressed up like an AR. The S&W is an actual AR design. The AR design allows you to open the chamber and easily remove the bolt. With the Ruger, it's just not that easy. It's still a good rife, but just not as easy to maintain.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  10. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

The SR22 is a handgun. IMHO, the S&W stands alone at the top of the AR .22 heap. It is closest to the controls of a full size AR. Mags are affordable and work well. Break down is simple. Not that I'm trying to steer you to the S&W but I would take it over a 10/22 anyday in the semi-auto category.

That being said, it is not as accurate at 100 yards as a Savage bolt gun or a Henry. I own the hex barrel Henry that you're thinking about and it is a fantastic rifle. Beautiful wood and a butter smooth action. Nothing wrong with that selection and one that I would buy again.

11. ScottA

A little confusing, but Ruger uses the same designation for both the rifle and handgun.

12. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I guess I'm not familiar with the SR22 in rifle form. I'll head over to the Ruger website to have a look.

13. Vallejo

Vallejo New Member

Oops, I meant the SR-22 Rifle.

14. Vallejo

Vallejo New Member

Well now I have to look into the S&W M&P.

15. JW357

JW357 New Member

They're nice.

But if you're not into ARs don't feel pressured into one. Get whatever gun YOU feel comfortable with.

But if you're worried about cleaning an AR style rifle, and that's your only issue with them, just watch a couple YouTube videos. Its easy to learn.

_________

If this is the first time you've read this, up until now you think I typed this out in response to this thread. Well, the jokes on you. This is my signature line. Know it, embrace it, love it.

16. KG7IL

KG7IL Active Member

Adan, (Vallejo) Now that you see that we all agree on which gun is best for you, that should clear things up for you :)

I have bolts, levers, and auto's. quality is important, actions are more of a preference.

The ruger american bolt looks nice and should be accurate. The 10/22 is popular for a reason. Levers are fun, I love the Win9422, but they are out of mfg and still expensive.

For the money I think it would be hard to beat the 10/22 (basic unit can be had for $199)

17. Vallejo

Vallejo New Member

Thanks for everything guys.

18. TekGreg

TekGreg Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Vallejo, you have chosen quality rifles and all of them are worthy! However, they are all good for various reasons.

M&P 15-22 is great if you like the AR system and would like your .22 shooting to improve muscle memory for your other AR platforms.

10/22 is a proven semi-auto that I have seen go more than once for years without cleaning! Small, light and with tons of accessories, this is a great choice.

The Henry is a beautiful lever action harkening back to the Ol' West! If you like B Westerns and the action of cocking it with flair each round, this is the one.

Bolt action guns are perceived to be more accurate and if you intend to mount a scope and put meat on the table or put five shots in one ragged hole at 150 yards, this would probably be the best choice.

Since everyone here has qualified your choices as solid and of quality, the only thing you should decide is which type is the most fun for you! If I like the 10/22 and AAandABooks would choose the Henry and your neighbors nephews tire mechanic likes the M&P, that has no bearing on you! As long as they are all quality guns, choose the one you like the most, and never doubt yourself, just have fun!

19. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

Well said.^^^

Set your budget and find the gun that you want. Keep with quality modern guns and you almost can't go wrong. The technology they're building .22s with these days is great.

20. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

Yep to the above. Also left off your list are the Marlin 60 or 795.
    And with the 10/22 you can go broke tacti-cooling yourself into the poor house.

First and foremost, before buying anything take a basic pistol or rifle course. It's invaluable to anyone starting out.

Second, how did you decide a rifle in .22LR is what you wanted to start out with? Are you looking at target shooting and plinking? It's a great entry rifle. Just be aware .22LR is still very tough ammo to find without paying an arm and a leg without some patience.

Welcome to the forum.