New to forum, new to Glocks

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by ktreem16, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ktreem16

ktreem16 New Member

Hey guys,

I just picked up a G27 last week, my first gun. I love the thing, have had it on me just about every day, except for when I'm going to class. When I got it I was so excited to pick it up that I completely forgot to pick up gun lube/cleaning solutions etc. but I went to Walmart, picked up a box of 250 Remington MegaPacks on Monday and shot 200 of them through. I've read some places that you don't need to clean them, I've read other people admit they over-do it. Any tips for some basic cleaning steps, I know that the beauty of these is that they aren't high maintenance. Thanks guys!

2. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Any gun, including a Glock will benefit from regular cleaning and lubrication. Personally, I clean mine after each trip to the range as I can't bear to put away a dirty gun.

I use Hoppes #9 as the cleaner and Mobil One synthetic as my oil of choice. There are a ton of options out there and others will be along soon with their recommendations.

Welcome to the site and it's good manners to post a thread in the intro section...

3. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

Welcome to the FTF.

I like my guns like my women.

I want them clean before I use them again.

4. Car54

Car54 New Member

Welcome to FTF. Ditto what NGIB wrote, keep your weapons clean and go intro yourself in the intro section for all to see.

5. Uchahi

Uchahi New Member

I strongly suggest that you clean your guns each and every time you use them. It will keep them in much better shape that way.

I love the quote below:

6. Rentacop

Rentacop Active Member

ktreem :
    If you don't clean a gun, the deposits bond all the more and are harder to remove.

I've had good luck cleaning a Glock with G96 Gun Treatment. I spray it onto all the metal parts and let everything soak for maybe 15 minutes. I brush the bore with a bore brush and use a Kleenbore nylon " toothbrush " on everything else. I use brushing and wet patches in the bore until it is clean. I wipe the other parts with a rag or piece of an old T-shirt. To get the nooks and crannies, I wrap a patch around the small end of my "toothbrush". I wipe the gun as dry as I can. Then I lube the 6 prescribed spots with fresh G96. This procedure leaves a thin film of oil to protect against rust. If oil gets into the firing pin tunnel, it is wise to flush it out with a degreaser like Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber. The degreaser can also be used to remove any oily film from the polymer frame for better gripping.

NGIB :
    Do you mean you use Mobil One motor oil on guns ? I'd imagine that the detergent in motor oil might catch and hold dirt.

I'd rather use a low-viscosity purpose-built gun oil like FP-100 or BreakFree CLP ( or the above-discussed G-96.
    Here are links to vids on cleaning and lubing Glocks :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kBvZaj_lAU&feature=related]YouTube - Cleaning a Pistol[/ame] Cleaning Guns

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc]YouTube - Proper Lubrication of an Glock Pistol (#2)[/ame] James Yeager Glock Lube #2

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2LbUN2esXU&feature=related]YouTube - Proper Lubrication of an Auto Pistol[/ame] Glock Lube #1

7. DarinCraft

DarinCraft New Member

When you say you carry it everywhere, please don't tell me you are carrying it concealed. The only reason I ask is that not being familiar with a weapon especially not having ever shot it is dangerous to you and everyone else. If I misunderstood, I apologize I'm not trying to flame you. However there is a population of people who will carry a pistol they have never shot (even ones who have never shot a pistol) because it's "cool." Then in some circumstances they get themselves hurt due to false sense of security.

Take care and be safe.

8. ref441

ref441 New Member

I've used G96 Gun Treatment for 20+ years...cleans, lubricates, and penetrates.

9. sheriffoconee

sheriffoconee New Member

count me with the crowd who does not feel the need to obsessively clean my plastic pistols after using them....
    My Glock 38 and 39 get used often....I will run 50/100/200 rounds through them, reload, holster and go right back to work. Then I do it again...and again....and maybe again.....
    eventually will will shoot some gunscrubber or whatever I have laying around down the barrel, wipe of the breechface, clean out some crud if there is any, relube, reassemble and start all over again...
    on my Glocks I use grease on the slide rails, and make sure there is a small wipe of it on the connector, and on the slide in front of the ejector port.....
    I don't worry about the finish, keep it from getting wet, or worry about it....

now, my blue steel handguns get a lot more TLC...my Smith 49 that rides backup for me gets a wipedown every nite, and I wax it about once every two weeks....but even with that, I don't feel the need to clean it every time I pull the trigger

10. ref441

ref441 New Member

G37

I just bought a nice G37 police trade-in w/ NS and three mags for $359 shipped. Have been curious about the .45 GAP and wanted to check it out for myself. Also got some ammo at a Houston gun show today...not cheap, but none is these days,

How do you like the 38 and 39? I have a 24, two 35's, a 31, and 33...and decided I'd try one of the 37's.

There are more available at that price in anyone is interested.

11. sheriffoconee

sheriffoconee New Member

I love the 45GAP.....in all three platforms..the 37 is just a bit big for my needs so I don't have one, the 38 is a great carry/duty gun, and mine has a light mounted on it and stays in a retention holster for those "hard" days at work...
    My 39 is my everyday carry.....
    for 359 bucks you stole that 37, and I suspect you will love it
    mine, and all the one's I have shot, are laser beam accurate, hard hitting, and follow up shots are easy. I like the 45 power in a 9mm frame...
    I am keeping mine
    BTW, ammo ain't that hard for find unless the only place you shop is at Walmart....Georgia Arms always has it in stock, as do many other online retailers

12. ref441

ref441 New Member

Thanks...the 37 won't ship until after I get home, but I am anxious to try it out.

Can the .45 GAP be reloaded w/ standard .45 ACP dies?

Also got a long-lusted-for stainless HK USPc .45 at the show.

13. sheriffoconee

sheriffoconee New Member

I don't reload for the GAP.....sorry I can't answer that question....
    let me know how you like it

14. efaz1

efaz1 New Member

Cleaning a pistol is generally after each range outing for most, however when you have a carry gun it needs to be placed on a regular routine for cleaning, my carry Glock has more lint and dust in it each week than residue from shooting each weekend.

15. glock2740

glock2740 New Member

Congrats. Great gun. I guess my username kinda gives it away, that I'm a fan;) You should clean them. Just like any other gun.