new to forum...my mini

Discussion in 'Mini-14 Forum' started by hawkguy, Jun 24, 2011.

1. hawkguy

hawkguy Well-Known Member

hey y'all

i post on a few forums, and thought i'd check this one out. i'm pretty new to firearms overall, but i enjoy coming to these forums to share and learn. i already see some familiar names on the board.

here is a pic of my mini 14. it had been a great gun & a pretty good shooter as well. i'm always looking for info & ideas about my guns.

hawkguy

Attached Files:

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Welcome to the FTF community.

3. bizy

bizy New Member

Synthetic stock?

My minis both have synthetic stocks.. I am rough with some of my guns and the synthetic stocks dont get scratches and dings as easely as wood. Wood gives it a classy look.. The synthetic stock gives it a more military look..

Hawkeye, is your mini .223 or 7.62?

4. hawkguy

thanks for the welcome!

5. hawkguy

i hear you, the synthetic stocks are much more durable. i am so careful not to ding my pretty wood stock :p, which is not very practical. i just like the look of wood so much better...and my wood stock fits so tight, i think it has benefited accuracy. after a gas block re-torque and even, and an accu-strut, my mini is about a 2" shooter with good ammo.

its a 580 mini 14 .223. here is a recent target pic hitting 15 out of 20 in a 2" sticker @ 100. i just had my first jam after 700 + rounds. i am really happy with this gun, especially considering all the horror stories of problems with minis recently.

Attached Files:

6. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

Sadly, most of the people who slam the Mini have never owned or fired one.:(

I've had one since 1983 and have enjoyed shooting thousands of flawless rounds through mine. So, it doesn't print dime size groups at 100 yards. Your picture says it all regarding the gun's ability to be plenty accurate for its intended purpose. If I want a tack driver, I'll pull out one of my bolt-actions. ;)

ETA: Welcome by the way!!!

7. hawkguy

internet rumors spread by people who have no actual knowledge is certainly part of the problem.

i also think people give up on minis too quick. :confused: first off, fire 200 rounds or so through it, and you will see accuracy improve in most cases. (my mini started out shooting all over the place, but after 200-300 rounds broke in nicely). next, you have to expect to tweak an "out of the box" mini a bit to get it to shoot pretty well (and minis are also picky on ammo, you have to do some testing). but usually a few inexpensive mods will turn most minis into 2-3 inch shooters, which is as good or better than any other autoloading carbine (excluding ARs).

i like the classic look and feel of a mini way more than the other comparable options (AR, AK, SKS). my dream guns are M1A, M1 carbines, and M1 garands. but at basically half the price, i'll stick with my mini! :)

8. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Welcome to the forum Hawkguy. We always need more Mini fans.

Jim............

9. Charley

Charley New Member

Welcome..........

Now that is one nice looking Mini and looks like it shoots good too..........

I've been pondering a Mini........One of the new models with the synthetic furniture and flashider. I've always been an AK fan but the eyes have a little more trouble with the sites than they used to and I've always liked Mini's......Just never found myself in the position to buy one.

10. Boyerracing343

Boyerracing343 New Member Supporter

Welcome!! Beautiful mini btw. Nice shooting.

11. hawkguy

thanks for the welcome & the compliments.

get ahold of one & shoot it if you can. they are great little guns imo. just realize you will have to "tinker" with it to get the best out of it. there is a wealth of info out there. and i love the way they look (i'm more a wood guy, but you can get a mini to look however you like)

i hope its ok to to do this, but here is a link to a thread on PU (not my fave site these day), but they had some listings for some great prices on new minis from CDNN. thse are some of the best prices i have seen recently for minis.

Question CDNN - Nice Looking (To me) Prices on Mini 14s - PerfectUnion Firearms Forum

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  12. hawkguy

thanks. i really like your quote about 1994....so true!

13. jismail

jismail Member

I have both a black synthetic stock and a wood stock that I refinished myself. I think that if you are trying to compare the looks against a military rifle, it would depend on the era of military weponry you are targeting.

Below is my 581 sitting next to my 1943 Standard Products M1 carbine. I think they match up pretty well....

Either way, both the black and the wood stocks are great looking and the Mini-14 is a fine weapon to own.

[​IMG]

14. hawkguy

that is a good looking set of rifles! that M1 carbine is in great shape. nice job on that mini stock.

15. Charley

Charley New Member

You know................Synthetics are OK but there is something about guns made out of wood and steel that just seems right. I guess I'm just "Old School"

2 nice looking rifles there.................

16. hawkguy

new pics

added a specter sling just recently. i really like the way this sling looks and handles.

Attached Files:

17. hawkguy

ok, last one...for now....:p

Attached Files:

18. Rarity

Rarity New Member

You have a really nice Mini there.

19. hawkguy

thanks! do you have a mini?

20. Rarity