New to forum and handgun reloading

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by hunter105, May 4, 2014.

1. hunter105

hunter105 New Member

I am planning on reloading for my .44 Remington Mag. Ruger Blackhawk new model. Can I substitute CCI 300 large pistol primer for Remington 2 1/2 large pistol primer? Also I have info on using soft point bullets but not flat point. What do I need to do to use flat point bullets? Plan to use ~23 grains IMR4227. I really appreciate any info.

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

welcome to FTF. stop over in the Introductions Section and say hello to everyone when you get a chance.

here is some load data from IMR on that powder.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/pistol

here is a primer chart for you as well.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp

3. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

Welcome to the forum from Northern California

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

You should be using a Large Pistol Magnum primer. Unless you're going to make some .44 Special loads then a Large Pistol primer is called for. I've never used the powder you're looking at. My preferred powder is AA#9.

Lead flat points are excellent for the range. Just follow the OAL and make sure you crimp well. There is a lot of recoil and the bullets can lengthen and lockup your cylinder.

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

And a standard suggestion I ALWAYS make to anyone getting started in handloading-

Get a copy of The ABCs of Reloading (check Amazon, used copies are cheap) and READ THE BOOK before you buy or load anything.

You should also have a good load data manual (yeah, you can pull info on line from the powder makers). I like my Lyman manual, but there are others.

The recipes (bullet, powder and primer) were put together for good reasons. Follow them religiously, and live long and prosper.

BTW- welcome! Glad you found us!

6. hunter105

hunter105 New Member

Thanks for the quick reply's. I have been reloading for my 30.06 for 30+ years, 20 gauge ~ 20 yrs. just never for pistol. Time to get serious and have some fun reloading for pistol shooting.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

roll crimping is important on this cartridge. bullets need to have crimp cannelures and the case mouth roll crimped into that cannelure as the recoil is more than enough to pull bullets from cases on recoil locking the gun up tight.

8. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

I've always had excellent results with Winchester, CCI or Remington large pistol standard primers in .44 mag. Takes a little more powder to reach maximum, but they seem to give better accuracy and consistency.

9. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

In my experience, 4227 can be a little hard to get going. A magnum primer and a firm roll crimp will help ensure proper ignition

10. hunter105

hunter105 New Member

Thanks for all the input. Been reloading for the .44 with no problems.