New to C&R...

Discussion in 'Curio & Relic Discussion' started by bogeywv83, Jan 2, 2013.

1. bogeywv83

bogeywv83 New Member

I am going to start a revolver collection. Mostly show pieces that are still functional. I have a $1,000 limit for my first gun, any recommendations??

2. Garadex

Garadex New Member

Nagant revolver and it costs way less. The only reason I recommend it is because I know of no other C&R revolvers although they do exist.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

3. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

When you received your C&R license you also should have received an information packet that contained a listing of all C&R weapons as of 2010 or 2011 and it does list some handguns. I am the proud owner of many that are listed.

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

In addition to the guns listed, any gun that is 50 yrs old (or older) and in original configuration is a C&R firearm.

The Colt and S&W revolvers from WW1- C&R. Many of the S&W reolvers (including the WW2 Victory model) are C&R. The Enfield revolver from Britain- WW 2. There are TONS of H&R and Iver Johnson revolvers- many for a very reasonable price. Other end of the scale- the Colt Single Action Army- but the $$$$ will make you weep.

5. xring3

xring3 Member

Lots of people limit themselves to military C&R.....as posted above there is an entire other world of guns to collect.

6. samnev

samnev New Member

I would try for a nice Type 14 Nambu and Enfield Mk VI in 455,a P38, a Beretta Model 34 and a Smith & Wesson Victory as my first acquisitions. They are all within your price range and you should be able to pick up 2 of those in nice shape for $1000. God luck and good hunting.

7. jammersavage44

jammersavage44 New Member

The Yugoslavian and Romanian Tokarevs are also regarded as C&R type of handguns...usually can be bought for 300.00 or under.

8. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

Those Tokarevs really are nice. My LGS has 3 and I'm hopefully going to grab one. I've given up on trying to find a decent Nagant revolver for a reasonable price. I'd also like to get my hands on a Makarov.

9. jammersavage44

Got lucky yesterday (speaking of Nagant revolvers). I remembered that a gun store in the north part of the state had one and they put on FB that it's 10% any gun in stock. I contacted the owner (who already had my C&R on file) and bought it. He sent it out yesterday and I got it today!

Attached Files:

10. jarhead0881

jarhead0881 New Member

That is a good looking Nagant!! All of the ones I've found are in terrible condition, pieced out or at sky-high prices.

11. string1946

string1946 New Member

And for heavens sake don't forget the ever popular Rast Gasser. :D If you haven't already spend some time window shopping on the C&R section of gunbroker and get an idea whats out there.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  12. JWagner

JWagner New Member

Consider an Enfield Number 2 revolver. It shoots .38 S&W, so ammo can still be found.

13. jammersavage44

Last week was an EXCELLENT week to be a Cruffler because I happen to pick up one of those as well! Just started collecting about 8 months ago so hadn't even heard of these revolvers but saw one on a FB gun board and after some research, knew that it would be an excellent addition to my collection.

Attached Files:

14. seancslaughter

seancslaughter New Member

If I had a c & r I'd try to find an old Webley in .455 not the .38

15. timothyj999

timothyj999 New Member

Agreed, I was shocked at what a good value mine was, a Romanian TTC from J&G Sales. Like a 1911 but smaller and lighter; the 7.62x25 is a very hot round. Ammo getting hard to find though.

I'm thinking about getting a couple more of these, because they can't stay this cheap, and Maryland's gun law changes have made normal semi-auto pistol purchases damn near impossible.