Firearms Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to start a revolver collection. Mostly show pieces that are still functional. I have a $1,000 limit for my first gun, any recommendations??

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Nagant revolver and it costs way less. The only reason I recommend it is because I know of no other C&R revolvers although they do exist.

·
Registered
601 Posts
When you received your C&R license you also should have received an information packet that contained a listing of all C&R weapons as of 2010 or 2011 and it does list some handguns. I am the proud owner of many that are listed.

·
Administrator
26,355 Posts
In addition to the guns listed, any gun that is 50 yrs old (or older) and in original configuration is a C&R firearm.

The Colt and S&W revolvers from WW1- C&R. Many of the S&W reolvers (including the WW2 Victory model) are C&R. The Enfield revolver from Britain- WW 2. There are TONS of H&R and Iver Johnson revolvers- many for a very reasonable price. Other end of the scale- the Colt Single Action Army- but the $$$$ will make you weep.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Lots of people limit themselves to military C&R.....as posted above there is an entire other world of guns to collect.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would try for a nice Type 14 Nambu and Enfield Mk VI in 455,a P38, a Beretta Model 34 and a Smith & Wesson Victory as my first acquisitions. They are all within your price range and you should be able to pick up 2 of those in nice shape for $1000. God luck and good hunting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
jammersavage44 said:
The Yugoslavian and Romanian Tokarevs are also regarded as C&R type of handguns...usually can be bought for 300.00 or under.
Those Tokarevs really are nice. My LGS has 3 and I'm hopefully going to grab one. I've given up on trying to find a decent Nagant revolver for a reasonable price. I'd also like to get my hands on a Makarov.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Got lucky yesterday (speaking of Nagant revolvers). I remembered that a gun store in the north part of the state had one and they put on FB that it's 10% any gun in stock. I contacted the owner (who already had my C&R on file) and bought it. He sent it out yesterday and I got it today!

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
jammersavage44 said:
Got lucky yesterday (speaking of Nagant revolvers). I remembered that a gun store in the north part of the state had one and they put on FB that it's 10% any gun in stock. I contacted the owner (who already had my C&R on file) and bought it. He sent it out yesterday and I got it today!
That is a good looking Nagant!! All of the ones I've found are in terrible condition, pieced out or at sky-high prices.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
And for heavens sake don't forget the ever popular Rast Gasser. :D If you haven't already spend some time window shopping on the C&R section of gunbroker and get an idea whats out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Consider an Enfield Number 2 revolver. It shoots .38 S&W, so ammo can still be found.
Last week was an EXCELLENT week to be a Cruffler because I happen to pick up one of those as well! Just started collecting about 8 months ago so hadn't even heard of these revolvers but saw one on a FB gun board and after some research, knew that it would be an excellent addition to my collection.

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
jammersavage44 said:
The Yugoslavian and Romanian Tokarevs are also regarded as C&R type of handguns...usually can be bought for 300.00 or under.
Agreed, I was shocked at what a good value mine was, a Romanian TTC from J&G Sales. Like a 1911 but smaller and lighter; the 7.62x25 is a very hot round. Ammo getting hard to find though.

I'm thinking about getting a couple more of these, because they can't stay this cheap, and Maryland's gun law changes have made normal semi-auto pistol purchases damn near impossible.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts