New to bore snakes usage

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by flw, Apr 3, 2011.

1. flw

flw New Member

I'm new to bore snakes and with the instruction sheet, mine didn't say anything about putting oil on the tail of the snake.

Seems to me that there should be some oil.

Are you to run them dry or put some cleaning oil on the tail of the snake?

Thank you

2. Car54

Car54 New Member

I put some Hoppes on mine, run it through a couple times. Then I send a clean patch through and then another patch with oil on it.

3. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

In my opinion a bore snake is OK for a quick cleaning primarily in the field! You can use solvent on the front felt if necessary. But you need some lubricant that can also be applied to the rear section. The issue is the Bore Snake can become impregnated with contamination on continued use with particles that washing will not remove. Which could create an abrasive action if the same unit is continued to be used. I like the technique of cleaning from the Breech out as it should be done. The Otis Cleaning System is similar and far superior in my opinion. I also recommend a coated cleaning rod with the bearing handle. No steel rods ever touch my weapons. But the only issue with the Rods is that some weapons you do not have access to clean from the breech to the muzzle. So the Otis System is tops on that requirement. Also if you ever get a bore snake section broken off in the bore you can not remove it by trying to push it out. Since as pressure is applied to the rod the material flares out in the bore. It can be removed with a worm type jag similar to that you would use to remove a patch in a muzzle loader. The Bore Snakes are OK but I would not recommend them for routine cleaning requirements.

4. KennyFSU

KennyFSU New Member

Before running the bore snake through I will add a drop of CLP or two down the barrel first and let it run down, then pull the snake through about 10 times.

5. flw

flw New Member

Thanks for the replys, I thought I should put some oil on it. It just didn't make sense to run the snake with no cleaner on it. I guess the instruction person had never had a gun.

6. Halwg

Halwg New Member

I totally disagree.

7. AusLach

AusLach New Member

Well what do you recommend then? :confused:

8. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

Good Question!! I also use the Otis system. I could not be happier. I also use bore snakes as a field emergency cleaner. You can wash them and I do after every use.