new to black powder

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by BWilder, Nov 27, 2012.

1. BWilder

BWilder New Member

im looking at a traditions kentucky parts kit percussion rifle. im wondering if its a good gun to start out with? i have some experience with black powder guns like cleaning, taking them down just never shot them before. i like how i could do the stock and put it together.

2. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was in my teens, my dad brought home an 1861 Colt Navy kit that he picked up at the PX. Some of the best times that we had with each other are from that father son build. I am pretty sure that you will enjoy the build, and it will mean so much more to you when you fire off the first round from that rifle. Take your time, and enjoy the build. Yes, you picked up a good first BP rifle.

The besy way to learn the shooting end of the hobby is to find others in your area who shoot black powder. Since you have exprience with cleaning and take down, you already have a group to shoot with. Listen to them, and read the owner's manual. If you have ant questions, post them here. There are plenty of us here that are willing to help out when it is needed. Welcome to your new addiction!

3. BWilder

BWilder New Member

i plan on doing it with my dad also, i havent picked it up yet but just wanted to make sure it wasnt a bad gun. i plan on getting the kentucky pistol kit after to have even more fun!

4. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I would recommend researching the project before you order the gun. It is a good gun but even a parts kit requires a certain level of skill in order to end up with a decent product. It is a relatively labor intensive project that will require a decent amount of tools,skill and time. Building a bp gun is a labor of love. I've seen a lot of people purchase kits that never get finished.

5. BWilder

BWilder New Member

whats involved with the kit?

6. orangello

orangello New Member

Is the barrel already blued? Do you know much about wood work and finishing?

Why the kentucky style? Doesn't seem like the easiest model to build.

7. BWilder

BWilder New Member

no the barrel is not blued, but i knew that. i know how to stain wood and finish it. what are some easier kits out there? that was really the first one i saw and liked it

8. orangello

orangello New Member

I was thinking Dixie had them rated by difficulty...

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/default.php?cPath=22_162_192 I think you would have to call them to find which kit is for a beginner and which is more difficult.

Traditions probably would offer similar advice, if you call them. I would think something like a Hawken-type would be easier, but you should ask them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  9. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

It can be a fun project. It does not require any special tools. It can turn out really well even for beginners. The main thing is to take-your-time. Don't try to get it done in a weekend or something like that. If you decide to go for it remember slow and sure is best. Include us in the project too - take pictures and report progress along the way. Many of us on this forum have done these projects.

I see Academy Sports had them for $239

10. BWilder

BWilder New Member

i think that the hardest part is going to be the metal. im looking at the "birchwood casey plum brown barrel finish". do you think that would be decent for it?

11. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

"birchwood casey plum brown barrel finish"
    That is what many have used and it worked for them. I have always blued the ones I finished. Neither option is better than the other it is just a personal choice.

12. BWilder

BWilder New Member

well im going to order one of these tonight, just cant decide. either a traditions kentucky rifle kit or a pedersoli kentucky pistol kit. wich one do you guys think?

13. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

The rifle can actually be used for hunting. The pistol is target only.

14. BWilder

BWilder New Member

what kind of powder do you recommend for the rifle?

15. hiwall

hiwall Well-Known Member

I like real black powder. but I think I am in the minority. Its whatever you want.

16. oldgun

oldgun New Member

It looks like you read my mind....I've been looking at the Traditions .50 cal pistol kit for about a month now...getting too close to Xmas to start buying myself stuff.

Here's what I'm looking at:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/54335?ingb=Y

If the price is near the same after the holidays I will be getting one.

17. thdrduck

thdrduck New Member

Someone once said "there are a whole lot more people that can take $200 worth of gun parts and make a $100 gun then there are people that can take $100 worth of gun parts and make a $200 gun". My opinion... you don't really save any money with a kit. I would get a reasonable finished rifle to start with and use it. Find out what you do and don't like about it, get involved in the hobby and see if you really enjoy it and then pick out a kit you want to add to your collection. Take your time and have fun making your gun. Then you have 2 guns and one can be your baby. I started in the 70's and got my first rifle as a kit (cost the wife $60) I still have it and use it but it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to tell it was kit gun. Just my nickel minus 3.

18. BWilder

BWilder New Member

well i was at a gun show and saw a cabelas hawkins for $250. its in really good condition, the brass was just alittle dull but i shined it up and looks like new!

19. eaglesnester

eaglesnester New Member

He is gonna need another gun safe.

Ya nailed em pilgrim

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  20. HockaLouis

HockaLouis New Member

Pedersoli or Traditions kit -- isn't the price like day and night? Do not get a very expensive kit for a first gun/build. The new used is the way to go IMO.
    Welcome.