New to benelli

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bushmaster74, Mar 17, 2013.

1. bushmaster74

bushmaster74 New Member

I just bought a benelli sporter 2 Was wondering if it was safe to shoot deer slugs through the stock barrel until I can afford the rifled slug barrel or should I just wait till I get the barrel And if so what choke tube should I use?

2. bushmaster74

bushmaster74 New Member

Also would like to know how to make and install a magazine plug so I can hunt it

3. Virginian

Virginian Active Member

Rifled slugs will be fine. You may need to experiment to see which ones are most accurate. You should be able to look in the manual and see about a plug. Download a manual if you don't have one. And a piece of 3/8"s inch wooden dowel with the ends rounded will work just fine. Federal rules limit guns to a total of 3 rounds for migratory birds, but state laws vary. Make sure you can only get two 2-3/4" shells in the magazine if you make one. A friend sized his plug for 3" shells and almost got a ticket. I think the fact he only had 3" shells on him and his honest reply saved him.

4. akers06

akers06 New Member

Well Virginian just answered all your questions except one....as far as chokes experiment with a few different ones but I always have the best accuracy with a modified but I would try a improved cylinder and a skeet/cylinder choke to be sure you are getting the best accuracy out of your gun

5. bushmaster74

bushmaster74 New Member

So no particular choke for rifled slugs? And yes I have the book but no info on mag plug

6. akers06

akers06 New Member

No the the only thing is you prolly aren't going tu get much accuracy or off anything tighter than a modified but different guns shoot different ways the best thing you can do is shoot it

7. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

See the post above, it has a link to a rifled choke tube.

8. bushmaster74

bushmaster74 New Member

Well thanks for advice. Now I just to figure our the plug

9. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Are you certain the magazine does not contain a plug already? How many shells will the mag tube hold? If 4 is max, as the V'n said, cut a 3/8 dowel the length of two shells, round the ends a tad so the spring does snag, and you are good to go

10. bushmaster74

bushmaster74 New Member

Ill do that. Ill get some 3/8 fowl and make one when I get. Thank you