New to ARs.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Polygon, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Considering the outcome of events last night, my next has to be an AR. I don't have one, I know very little about them. I'm not interested in building one right now, perhaps in the future. I might buy some receivers just in case.

However, I need some advice on what to get. There's just such a sea of crap to wade through. I was looking at something from Rock River. They seem to have a lot of options for around my budget. I don't want to spend more than about $1,000.

Can you guys help me out here?

2. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

PSA,PSA,PSA.. its been the brand of choice the last 2 weeks.. its good quality and is one of the cheapest rifles you will find.. most can be had for 800 to 900 or LESS. also ssmith n wesson MP15. you may run across a stag for under 1000. but they generally sit at that price. all of these could work great for you.
    http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...etto-state-armory/psa-pa-15-qms-tac-pack.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...tto-state-armory/psa-16-vtac-act-carbine.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/inde...o-state-armory/psa-16-m4-premium-carbine.html

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/product_p/gun-811037.htm

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/STAG_Arms_M2_5_56_Nato_Chamber_16_Chrome_Lined_p/gun-sa2.htm

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

3. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. Polygon

Polygon New Member

5. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

7. AsSeenOnTV

AsSeenOnTV New Member

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

9. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

Well I love my M&P15. I'm about to start building my 2nd AR. I will be using the S&W M&P lower of corse.

10. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Wow!

That's an expensive rear sight. Seems the carry handle saves you $500. I'm going to start searching and comparing.

11. Tenderribbs

Tenderribbs New Member

I second the M &P. I have a colt , DPMS, delton,and a M&P My S&W is my favorite especially for the $

12. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Here's another question.... What length is considered a "carbine" length AR?

13. hoovco

hoovco New Member

16" & 14.5"

14. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

Carbine length is 7" to the gas port
    Mid length is 9"
    Rifle length is 12"

15. shotgunsal

shotgunsal New Member

nice choices all of the above but I like my colt HB AR and my Bushmaster AR too/ Shot my last deer with the Colt..

16. Polygon

Polygon New Member

Well, I ended up buying the Rock River Arms Elite Operator 2. I didn't really feel I had time to really research the others since it seemed like ARs are drying up everywhere for obvious reasons. I decided to get six 30 round magazines with it. The reason I went with the EO2 was because I had researched as it came highly recommended by a friend and I was always going to get an AR, it was just a matter of when. I hadn't planned on getting one now, but when they start talking about AW bans again, I'm not going to wait.

I've been looking more into the suggestions you've all made since then and those seem like some great options. I'm sure this won't be my only AR and I'm sure I'll build one in the future as well. Thanks for all the help.

However, you can answer one last question for me. I like the AB Arm LTF hand guard. It's the reason I was asking about the size. Since the EO2 is a 16" model. I assume this hand guard will work? I want it to fit right up the front sight. I assume I can move the front sight if needed?

17. Quentin

Quentin New Member

You need to look at and understand ZeusEcho's post. If you bought carbine length gas then buy the 7" handguards. You bought a 16" barrel so the gas system should be either carbine length or midlength. Just look at your specs.

18. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

is this the model you bought - http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=462? if so it is a mid length gas system, as noted in the specs :rolleyes:

question - why do you want to change out the handguard so soon? why not take her out, shoot the snot out of her and see what you like/don't like first? :confused:

second - no, you cannot move the front sight, it also works as the gas block. You can get a low profile gas block and then install a longer handguard to go over it. If that is what you wanted you could have just bought a model from RRA like that :p

anyhow this is all semantics ... we demand gun pron! also, get your azz to the range and give us a range report! :cool:

19. Polygon

Polygon New Member

I get an error when trying to go to that link. Like I said, I'm new to ARs I know very little about them. Which is obvious being I didn't know the front sight was part of the gas system.

The reason I want to change out the hand guard so soon is because while I know very little about ARs, I've have shot them. I really don't like that style of hand guard. It's alright and would be fine if I didn't have an option. But a friend of mine has the AB Arms LTF and I love it. Had I not shot ARs before and had experience with the hand guards in question, I wouldn't consider changing it out so quickly. So, I assume there's going to be some extra real estate between the front sight and the AB Arms hand guard then.

I didn't really feel I had time to wait. I wanted to get one before they dried up and the price skyrocketed. I wish I had already done the research. That way I wouldn't be asking all these stupid questions as well.

As for the gun, I haven't gotten it yet. I ordered it from Joe Bob and it should be at my FFL tomorrow.

EDIT: Here's the AR I bought: RRA Elite Operator 2

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012