new to ar15s..

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by aikimo, Aug 4, 2013.

1. aikimo

aikimo New Member

Dear all,

I just bought a Bushmaster xm15 in 556
    /223. With a 20in barrel. So far i have only shot it once, and really like the way it shoots.. From reading posts i have all kinds of ideas around mods for it. seems like i can replace the barrel with a shorter one if i want? Is the entire upper replaced? Is it as simple as that? I am also not thrilled with the peep hole and front sight. (this is my first rifle, i have several pistols) any thoughts on new sights?

Thanks
    Mo

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

you can go to a shorter barrel by a simple upper change or you can just change out the barrel. the upper change with a shorter barrel is easier and usually only takes a minute or so and usually doesn't require any tools to do it. a barrel change is less expensive, but will require a few special tools and a bit more time to do. look up building an AR upper on YouTube and it should answer a lot questions for you.

3. aikimo

aikimo New Member

Thanks for the input, really appreciate it.

4. Copeman60

Copeman60 New Member

I would stick with the 20in barrel so you can reach long range. Use a scope instead of red dot system.. Also a state 2 or 3 tigger will do a lot of good..

5. monteros

monteros New Member

I would keep the 20" and then build your own upper, if you are so inclined, since you already have a long build, now you could build a short barrel rifle designed for close quarters! One lower, many uppers! That's part of what I love about the AR15 weapon system! So damn modular and tunable :) here's a pick of my recently completed first 18" barreled AR :) gotta show of the kids eh?

Not the greatest photo, need to do some better ones :)

Attached Files:

6. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

At some point add either a Bravo Company or a Palmetto State Armory mid length, light weight, 16" upper and you can swap between short-medium range and your 20" for long range.

At some point in the future purchase a stripped lower and a parts kit, stock set and assemble it yourself.

That is my $0.02 on the subject. :cool:

7. GTX63

GTX63 New Member

Shooting an AR for the first time was quite an experience for me. I had never fired a rifle with an elevated front sight, so it took some time and experience to set zero. It is a point of pride to me to be able to shoot everything I own accurately with irons before even considering optics. If you don't know anyone in your area to give you some hands on training or advise, there are plenty of online reads and videos on sighting an AR.

8. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

What do you want to do with the rifle? I mean what is the use of the rifle?

How short do you want to go on the barrel? Anything less than 16" will require a Federal tax stamp as a SBR and might possibly be illegal in your area.

Better probably to replace the entire upper if you don't know how to properly head space a new barrel. More often than not the barrel will drop in without any problems to the head spacing but sometimes this is not the case.

As for sights, if you plan to run a magnified optic, I would suggest some kind of flip up sight. I personally prefer metal parts over plastic, but the magpul mbus are very popular, and they have a new pro model that either just came out or is about to come out. If you are going to run a red dot type sight like an aim point or eotech, then fixed iron sights are the way to go IMO.

Really the use of the rifle will dictate my recommendations. If for hunting, stick with the 20. If for home defense, go with the shortest barrel you can legally own. As for optic, if for hunting go with somethign magnified with the flip up backups. If for home defense a non-magnified red dot with the irons co-witnessed. Really hard to give proper recomendations without knowing the use of the rifle.

9. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

Not to go off subject, but curious to know who Bravo and PSA got mentioned in the same sentence as if they were equals or something? Just seems odd since one is high end and the other low.

10. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

PSA sells volume. They are quality products but that's how their priced like they are . BCM is quality but not the volumes like PSA is putting out in the market . Theykeep ttheir prices up because they have brand name status and people are willing to pay more for name brand quality . Both are great companies with quality products