New to AR. Must have one.

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by lonyaeger, Dec 12, 2009.

1. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

So here go the dumb questions:

1. What is the opinion of the Sig 5.56?

• Is it customizable?
    • If a 223 will accept 5.56 ammo, why are Sig and Ruger calling theirs 5.56?

That will be all for now, but more dumb questions to follow. Thanks.

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

1. - Sig makes a nice rifle. They have a patented two valve system for their recoil operation. It's pretty slick. That said, you are paying a lot for the name. Not the rifle isn't a good one, it is, but you are well above the price of a comparably equipped stick that you can customize and work on yourself.

2. - I believe there are little things that you can do to the rifle, but your standard AR parts aren't going to fit it. I am sure the pistol grip can be changed. The front foreend ( I do not believe ) is free floated on the basic service rifle, so I don't know if an aftermarket foreend will fit or not, I have never work on one.

3. - You have this reversed. A 5.56 chamber will accept the lighter, civilian .223 rounds. A .223 chamber is NOT rated to accept the heavier 5.56 military pressure loads. Sig and other companies are marketing 5.56mm chambers because that is the safer bet in sales. Customers can still shoot either round, but the 5.56 round will achieve better accuracy.

One thing to note, Sig uses Cold Hammer Forged Barrels, which are more accurate than chrome lined, but not as durable in the long run if you are going to put thousands upon thousands of rounds down range on a regualr basis...

JD

3. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Based on what you said, I think I'll take a pass. Really expensive at $1,799...although it DID have a quad rail and a flashlight!

I went to look at it at my local shop and asked him the question, "why do some ARs say they are chambered in .223 and accept 5.56 while the Sigs and Rugers say they are 5.56?" He said that 556 is just the model name of those particular rifles.

Still haven't ruled out your recommendation of putting one together myself....but I'm pretty time-challenged at times.

Now, you're going to say that all the time I spend on the FTF, I could be building an AR. And, of course, I would have no response to that. :eek:

4. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

+1 what ^ said ;)

You would have a very Name-brand AR, score high in Styling-points, but would not be able to customize it very easily or affordably.

5. hillbilly68

hillbilly68 New Member

and the ergonomics SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKKKKKK.

Good choice passing on it. Colt LE 6920s are way down right now, $1150 if you shop. SW MP 15s are are pretty good choice too, much cheaper but if price isnt an issue, get the Pony.

Let us know what you get!

6. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I knew I could count on you guys. I'll let y'all know what I end up with. Big gun show in Fort Worth January 3 (if I can a wait that long without buying myself an early Christmas gift). I'll probably pull the trigger then. No pun intended.

7. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I DO love me a pony.....

8. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

How important is twist rate.....1 x 7" vs. 1 x 9" ?

9. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Spikes sale on Piston M4

ST-15 M4 Carbine w/AA Piston Conversion [ST15 w/AA] - $1,099.00 : Spikes Tactical
    [​IMG]
    Reg $1495.00
    Sale Price $1,099.00
    Save: 26% off
    Spike's Tactical M4 Carbine w/AA Piston Conversion.

Upper Specs-
    -Spike's Tactical M4 flat top upper receiver, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish, T-markings, our logo and M4 feed ramps.
    -Barrel is Stainless Steel, M4 profile, M4 barrel extention, 5.56mm Nato chamber, 1:8 Twist, Melonite finish inside and out.
    -Adam's Arms LE M16 Bolt carrier with intergrated carrier key (Carrier and Key are 1pc.). Carrier has Melonite finish inside and out with our logo.
    -Adam's Arms clamp on railed gas block w/ Melonite finish.
    -Spring loaded MP tested bolt w/ Viton O-ring on the extractor and Mil-Spec black extractor insert.
    -Forged Mil-Spec charging handle.
    -M4 hand guards and hand guard cap modified for AA Piston system.
    -A2 Flash Hider.

Lower Specs-
    -Spike's Tactical Lower, Machined from a 7075 T6 Mil-Spec Forging with Mil-Spec Type III Hardcoat Anodized finish.
    -Mil-Spec lower parts kit. (Works with 22LR, 9MM, 223/5.56, and Many More.)
    -6 Position Mil-Spec buffer tube, castle nut and Properly staked latch plate.
    -ST-T2 Tungsten Heavy buffer.
    -Mil-Spec 17-4 stainless steel buffer spring.
    -Spike's Tactical M4 stock.

Accessories-
    -Magpul 30rd Pmag
    **All of our products carry a LIFETIME Warranty**

10. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

11. TXnorton

TXnorton New Member

The 1 in 9" twist rate is fine for most any ammo you'd likely be shooting (typical 55-62 grain bullets). Now if you want to shoot some match grade 68+ grain bullets, you might benefit from a 1 in 7" twist. My 1 in 9" RRA shot 68gr HPBT match bullets just fine, but these longer bullets would not stabilize in my old SP-1 with a 1 in 12" twist.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  12. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

So in this case the lower the better I guess?

13. bigbad-ratman

bigbad-ratman New Member

i love my sig 556. knew i was paying alot for the name, but i do love my sigs. went ahead and got the swat model since i didnt have time to shop for all the extra accessories. but it is perfect for me and for what i hope to never have to do.

14. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

Pretty much. A good compromise is to find a 1:8 twist, which will allow you to shoot up to 75gr and down to 53gr with good results. Also, finding one with the Wylde chamber helps your accuracy with either .223 or 5.56 rounds. But some will tell you, the optimum set-up is to find the best barrel that you can, in one chamber or the other, then hand-load or try different loads until you find the one that gives you the desired results consistently. If you decide to go that way, I would advise picking a barrel in 5.56, so that you still have the capability of going with either round if you needed to.

Slo

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

16. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

That's a really good buy, too. Nice components, too.

17. Gatekeeper

Gatekeeper New Member

Looked good to me too. SS barrel,/piston.
    Im trying to talk myself outta it!!:rolleyes:

18. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

LOL...give us some time, we'll keep talking you into it :p