New to 1911s, just picked up my first

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by Hunterdan, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Decided I needed to have a 1911. So I went on the hunt for one. I. Was going to pick up one of the girsan 1911s from buds but found a guy selling a stainless para gi expert. I really wanted stainless, and fell in love with it when I saw it. I have some plans to replace some of the plastic bits (main spring housing, grips) with some better looking pieces.

ForumRunner_20130615_102329.jpg

2. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

Congrats, you got a nice gun there, give us a range report when you can.

3. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

Very nice. At some point in time, you may want to consider putting a beaver-tail on it. That original grip safety can tend to bite pretty quick.

4. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I noticed that about the beaver tail already. I've already added it to my list of must haves

5. JW357

JW357 New Member

Congrats. Nice gun. I'm thinking about gettin a 1911 someday... How do you like yours for shooting?

6. Dearhunter

Dearhunter Supporting Member Supporter

To master the 1911 to me, is the ultimate in handgun shooting!! I love it!!
    I feel so confident when it is in my hands. Plus, knowing I am still deadly at 50 yards is a comfortable feeling.

7. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Of course, with 1911s when you say it's your "first" just implies there will be a second.

I have 2 Gov't models which means no extended beaver tails, and found if you hold the grip correctly you shouldn't have problems with hammer bite.

Don't forget the range report!

8. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Was trying to get to the range this weekend, but it didn't happen. I had trouble finding ammo locally for it. So I ordered 2 boxes from Cabelas last night. But there is a gun show coming up this weekend that I'm going to and hopefully I can pick up some goodies for it (holster, ammo, parts).

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

There is a little known disease associated with 1911s.

nineteenelevenitis.

There is some controversy about the cure and reports have been posted that some people do not care to get cured.

(Nice looking gun. I would shoot it for a while first before swapping out parts. Warranty and all that.....)

10. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

I picked it up used and it's had about 1300-1400 rounds through it. But I will shoot it before putting some new parts in it. My ammo should be here Thursday so Saturday or Sunday will be a range day for me.

11. The_Tank

The_Tank New Member

Congratulations on a fine looking 1911. As was already said, this is just the first... There will be more. :)

12. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Was finally able to get to the range today. The gun just felt right. I don't think I've ever shot a semi this accurately. I'm no crack shot with a pistol, but I was able to put the shots right where I wanted, or close to it. I've got a set of grips on order, but a different grip safety is next on the list, it did dig in a bit, didn't leave any marks, but I could feel it. Recoil was actually less than I expected. I used to have a ruger sr9c, and that was snappier and harder to control compared to my 1911. But it was love at first shot. I'm hooked now.

13. qwiksdraw

qwiksdraw New Member

Looks like you're hooked already.

Shoot often, be safe and have fun.

14. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

There is a big difference shooting a 23 oz gun and a 39 oz gun. Try shooting a 25 oz aluminum frame officers model 1911 of a 20 oz Glock 36. The recoil on a full size steel 1911 is mild and the single action trigger makes them a joy to shoot but not to carry. Yes I now some do carry them. I know one guy that carries a Mac 10.

15. Thebiker

Thebiker New Member

I usually carry a Sig Stainless Carry 1911 (commander size) weighs in a 35.4 oz before adding rounds. No problems and no strain.

It all comes down to the correct type rig for the pistol. The biggest problem I find most folks make is they skimp on the belt. A good gun belt is at least as important as the right holster.

Personally, I use a whole grain double layer leather belt from Ariat (the boot people) and an ISWB King Tuk from Galco. I carry all day, everyday concealed (except at work where it is open carry in a LGS). This is comfortable because the high quality belt and holster support it all properly without a drag to one side.

When I don't have the Sig at my side I have a STI 1911 Spartan 5.0 in the same rig.

The moral to my story: pick your carry rig carefully and you can pack anything comfortably. JMHO based on my experience. YMMV

16. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

Para Ord makes a nice gun. You don't see a lot of them used and to me that says a lot. I own two Para pistols and want a few more :D

Welcome to the wonderful world of 1911 addiction. :)

17. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Yeah I'm hooked. I'm looking at holsters now. I'm a bigger guy so carrying it shouldn't be too hard for me. Its much lighter than my revolver I have, just a much smaller profile overall too. I don't carry that often, but I want to start carrying more often.

18. Hunterdan

Hunterdan New Member

Came home from vacation today and my new grips from Ruger came in. They fit nice and are a nice upgrade from the plastic. They add a little girth to the grip, which isn't a bad thing.

ForumRunner_20130712_221138.jpg

19. JW357

JW357 New Member

Very nice.

20. dlh2689

dlh2689 New Member

It looks like you picked up a nice 1911 there. I've had two 1911's and I'm looking to get another one to add to my collection.