new taurus problems

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by hycal, Apr 4, 2010.

1. hycal

hycal New Member

I have a question concerning the taurus model85 lightweight.
    I purchased oen a few months ago and took it out to shoot today.
    The problem is that when i shot it , i could hardly remove the emptys.
    A few rounds would just drop out as they should, but two in the cylinder were so tight that i needed to use a cleaning rod to push them out. a And i still had to almost pound them out.
    Also the cylinder seems to want to bind up on that part of the cylinder when firing.
    The gun is brand new and was first tried out with those results today.
    Any info would be greatly welcomed.

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Wha are you shooting??

3. NGIB

NGIB New Member

I echo Dune's comment as to what ammo you were shooting. I'll also ask if you cleaned and lubed this one before you took it out for it's first shoot. Binding cylinders are a pretty common issue with Taurus revolvers and the first thing I'd check is that the ejector rod has not worked loose...

4. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

The only thing I can add is it sounds like you need to send it back to Taurus. If I tell you how to fix it and it's not something simple like the ejector rod backing out and you "mess it up" further-it voids the warranty. You need to take advantage of the lifetime warranty it sounds like. If the gun is right it should accept any .38s you decide to load it with.

5. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Damn.. Another Taurus bites the dust... I agree with Bear.. Your revolver should eat any ammo you feed it without issue. Unless you're running some hot hot reloads, you got a problem with the gun.

6. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Damn! Another bad Taurus story. And people wonder why they have a bad rep. Lifetime service is meaningless if the guns spends more of it's life getting serviced than getting shot.

I guess Taurus is run by the same AMF people that almost ran Harley Davidson into the ground in the 70's.

One thing to look at is...the charging holes in the cylinder should be dry, BONE DRY. Under the extractor star should be bone dry. Lube in either location can cause problems.

7. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

I have the same gun and it gets shot regularly with NO issues. First time you've shot it and you've owned it for months? Did it sit and collect dust? Could be a faulty weapon, but could be back housekeeping...

8. hycal

hycal New Member

condition before shooting

As for ammo used, I tried cci blazer, speer, and winchester.... all with the same results.
    Yes gun was lubed and checked before shooting.And as for how long before shooting after purchase.... you must not live in the northeast.
    Have been a shooter/ collector for most of my life,(58) and if my dad had even an inkling that I didn't prep my firearm, he'd rise from the grave and still kick my a##.

9. TheOldMan

TheOldMan New Member

Don't fret it Hycal... I've got tons of guns that have not made it out to the range for years and have never run into problems like you're having with this revolver. I still believe it's a bad actor from Taurus.. Every brand of ammo did the same thing it's not the ammo..

10. skidmark

skidmark New Member

Taurus has had a run of problems with cylinders cut on a taper. End result is that the cartridge cases bell out at the mouth as they are fire formed - and stick rather than eject. Even when you pound the empty brass out you can mike it and see that the mouth is oversized.

Send the gun and some fired brass back to Taurus, after going through the required "contact us first for permission to use the warranty". they'll try to make it right or offer you a replacement.

Wanna know how I know? BTDT & waiting for the brown truck of joy to return my toy.

stay safe.

skidmark

11. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Bum bum bum, 'nother one bites the dust... :D
    Couldnt resist.
    Sorry to hear you got the short end of the stick Hycal. If Stalkingbear says to send it back, its probably best, because more than likely you got a gun that was made on a Friday, with idiot machinests. It happens to the best of us.

12. Ruzai

Ruzai New Member

Perhaps an amendment is in order for the rules? Maybe a bold face for the rule that tells you to check before you post?
    Or maybe a sticky thread for taurus problems..

13. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

I will admit Taurus has their share of problems,but all the other mfgs do too.
    And some of the other mfgs customer service is just as bad as Taurus.

Everyone has their own opinions-Canebrake LOVES Colt's-I wouldn't own one.Why,Because of the POS Colt guns I have owned in the past and Colt's reluctance to fix them correctly the first time I sent them back.
    S&W has had their share of issues,as well as Ruger,Beretta,etc.

I own several Taurus guns,and have had issues with a couple of them,but not all of their guns are bad or have problems.

Go to a local gunsmith and ask them to name off the Brands of guns they are currently fixing because of a mfg problem,and they will probably name every mfg you can think of.

I'm just tired of guy's brand bashing,all of them have problems!

14. jca1

jca1 New Member

Even Wilson Combat gets a gun back once and a while.

I bet that Taurus has no more of a return percentage than most, they just make a lot of guns.

I owned a Taurus PT1911AR that would outshoot most guns right out of the box.
    Still own a model 85 ultralite that has been flawless, so much in fact that I allow my wife to carry it without doubt.

15. hycal

hycal New Member

It's back.

I sent the revolver back to Taurus in the begining of April, and after 6 weeks, ( my only gripe!) it came back at no charge.
    Replaced cylinder, ejector, and cylinder lock.
    Have since sent about 150 rounds thru it without a hitch.
    i have no problem using as a pack gun when in the woods around camp or as a conceal carry.
    Thanks for the feedback. and all those taurus bashers out there, this is my third, first revolver and I was always afraid of those stories about them and glad that I got thru this bad spell and find that it's as nice as my 9's.:

16. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

Of course, if you leave oil in the cylinder instead of wiping it out...cartridges tend to stick after firing...
    the heat & oil create a nifty Glue.