New synthetic stock for youth 870 20 gauge

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by cva209x50, Jun 22, 2014.

1. cva209x50

cva209x50 New Member

I've been looking at a full size synthetic stock for my old youth 870 express 20 gauge. It has the supercell pad on it and is pre-drilled for a sling stud. If I get it, I'm probably going to spray-paint it brown.

I might do it in camo but I can't decide on a camo pattern... any suggestions?

I use the camo spray paint from Walmart.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  2. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Spray bombed plastic stock...........tape and some imagination man, and if you don't like it a good supply of paper towels and acetone.

Get the pattern you like and then shoot clear over it. Think 4 coats of Painters Choice "matte" on this one. 3 yrs on that camo paint, looks like new.

Tape and stencils will leave edges/ridges, so the more layers/colors the more topography it will have. Best results are to keep it simple. As usual, the better paint jobs are the result of knowing when to stop.

Do a web search, there are some really nice camo jobs done by others using sponges. Does a killer tree bark pattern.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

on my camo jobs i like to use stencils i make, instead of tape. IMO, for the look i desire, it gives a softer edge. it's a technique i learned from a good friend of mine years ago who did lots of airbrush paintings on cars and motorcycles.

i make my stencils out of thick and stiff paper, that have irregular patterns i cut into the edges. i sometimes even use real plants as stencils.

i first lay a base coat, after properly prepping the stock for painting. this is critical in getting the paint to adhere properly. lesson i learned from being a painter in bodyshops, was prep work was the most critical part of paintjob on anything.

here are some of mine that i have done. i did the rocker panels of my truck as a test to see how durable it was under a bit more extreme conditions, like going through the woods and brush and using the carwash to clean it. it held up great and none was coming off, even after four years of abuse.

Attached Files:

4. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Did you equip them with locator beacons so you could find them?:D

5. Hookeye

Hookeye Active Member

Note, when doing tiger stripe patterns I tear the tape and layer to build the stripes. The tear makes for a varied and slightly softer edge.

6. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

purely for cosmetic reasons as mine aren't even used for hunting anymore. i just have an extreme dislike for factory black synthetic stocks and always have. the camo paintjob is the easiest to pull off, and look good without being an artist. i never do the action and barrel, simply because i can replace the stock and go back to original without having to redo all the metalwork on the rifle.