New steel challenge gun

Discussion in 'Semi-Auto Handguns' started by jsm2, Jan 20, 2014.

1. jsm2

jsm2 New Member

I shoot steel challenges. I shoot a glock 26 right now. It works, but not well. I am 14, so need a gun that is not so big, but bigger than my (dads) g26. I have been looking at berettas, hi powers, and other 9mms similar to them. I am not too fond of glocks, but I haven't shot the 34 yet. I'll get back to y'all on that. My first match was two days ago, and I shot a 196.99.

2. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

Around here about 70% of the steel shooters are using 22's. If you want a 9mm,
    take a hard look at the S&W M&P Pro 5". Three different size backstraps so you
    the gun can grow as you do.

3. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I don't shoot steel challenge but am interested. I would probably use my SA XDM9 5.25". It is what I use in USPSA. For a .22 I would think a Ruger Mark III, Browning Buckmark or the S&W 41 would be the way to go.

4. indy36

indy36 New Member

Dude, use a Ruger 22/45 with optic. Here's mine. Why shoot anything bigger? It's a speed game, not tactical.
    Best guns are the 22/45 and/or a .22 AR like the M&P.
    ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1390271170.401214.jpg

5. John_Deer

John_Deer New Member

Steel challenge is much like IDPA. Shooters are broke up in divisions. Rimfire shooters compete with other rimfire shooters. It's not like you can shoot a rimfire against shooters shooting a 1911. Nor would shooters shooting a 1911 be competing against shooters shooting a revolver with a 10" barrel. The shooters in centerfire divisions might shoot in a squad with different classes shooting together. But their scores only count in their division. The fastest shooter in the squad is just informal bragging rights.

6. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've looked at the rules and remember seeing about .22 and centerfire. I don't recall if they have power factor like USPSA does. Since a hit on steel is a hit and there are no zones for scoring, I would shoot the lightest recoiling centerfire. That generally would mean a full-size frame with as much weight as you can handle. The other option would be good quality .22 with either a long sight radius for irons or a .22 setup with a good optic.

I see that the OP is 14 so his options might be limited based on what his parents are willing to buy. I was watching a show the other day and it had a 16 year old girl that is near champion level that was shooting a .22 that was completely tricked out.

7. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Check out the CZ 85 or similar if you are shooting at steel that requires a center fire round.

8. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

jsm with you shooting a glock 26 now it would be more practical to bump up to a glock 34 . Then down the road if you decide to conceal carry you can get a g26 or g19 for carry . It is good to have the same basic feel and function in shooters. If you like the feel of a m&p or XD you can go from compact to competition size the same way. It should be more about what feels best in your hand.

9. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

The 5" M&P and 5.25" XDm are both good suggestions. Browning Hi-Power would work well after you ditched the mag safety. CZ 75 is similar to a BHP for about $250 less. Beretta 92 is plenty good, but has a monstrous grip.

I'll suggest going a little off the board...EAA Witness Match. It's a fine shooter with an excellent match trigger. It's affordable. And it's a CZ 75 clone, which means there are a ton of aftermarket options.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  10. jreis

jreis New Member

If G26 fits in your hand and you can shoot It well, you can buy extended barrel and higher cap 9mm mag. Glock trigger work is easy and therefore inexpensive.

A lot of new shooters make the mistake of prematurely buying equipment. Go to a few contests and watch the best shooters.

Afterwards, ask about their equipment and what they might recommend for you.

At 14, I doubt a double stack 1911 target gun is practical or ergonomic for you.

The only downside of modding something like G26 for targets is sight radius. There are options to remedy that too, though.

Good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

11. jreis

jreis New Member

Also, I meant to effectively answer the bell on a recommendation. Barrel length and sight radius will be important. Feel in your hand and grip angle are some other things to consider, but are often times overcome in practice and range time.

EAA imports moderately inexpensive CZ clones, target guns even. The ones I'm talking about are made in Italy by Tanfoglio and IMO are a great option in terms of balance of cost/quality.

Also consider they have solid standard capacity in 9mm platforms, some 17+1.

And the legendary feel of CZ resonates in these pistols.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Firearms Talk mobile app

12. kiabe1

kiabe1 New Member

Look at a cz. They are good stuff

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Firearms Talk mobile app