New SR9C - should I clean b4 using 1st time?

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by jammer, Nov 29, 2012.

1. jammer

jammer Member Supporter

Just bought a new SR9C and was reading on the net and saw several articles about stripping down the gun and removing all factory lube and relube b4 firing for the first time. I sent a question to Ruger CS but have not heard back. Anyone else know about this?

2. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Yes, absolutely. I do this with all new guns, used too. The factory goo will be a thick white grease and will attract every single piece of dirt, lead, and carbon you can throw in its direction.

Enjoy that gun by the way, I owned one and it was sweet

3. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Yes you shud--
    Course i fired mine about 500 times before so much as wiping it down :)

4. GaryGlock

GaryGlock New Member

I personally field strip and clean every gun I buy before firing it.
    Helps get a little more familiar and I feel a little better knowing everything is nice an clean an ready to go. Enjoy that Sr9!

5. TX45

TX45 New Member

Yep, as other folks said above. I always cleaned the new guns before taking them to the range. I also took the striker assembly out to clean it and the firing channel.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beSIZAAhcNo"]SR9 Striker Takedown[/ame] (SR9c is just the same)

6. ncampbell

ncampbell New Member

Believe it or not, some gun manufacturers say not to. The original grease has an abrasive in it that is designed to help break in your gun. I always fire at least 100 rounds through all of my guns before field stripping it for the first clean.

7. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Oh no---
    Not the dreaded "break in" thing again :eek:

8. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

i clean every gun i buy before i shoot it. i want to learn it, verify nothing is clogging the barrel( hey ya dont know, thats why i check!) and all the parts work right.

9. jjfuller1

jjfuller1 New Member

if you wouldnt mind, i am curious about this. what companies say this. do you think you can post links to facts to back this up?

10. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Inquirein minds 'n all that ;)

11. ncampbell

ncampbell New Member

I will do more research on this, but my sources are a group of firearms dealers and recreational shooters. Not that everyone will agree all the time. Lol.

12. jammer

jammer Member Supporter

I just got this back from Ruger CS.

"Comment / question:
    I just bought a new SR9C and read on the internet that the first thing I should do before firing it is to strip it & completely clean all factory lube and then relube. I can't find anything like that in the manual. What do you recommend?
    Response:
    It is not necessary to clean your SR9C on initial purchase other than to make sure the barrel is free of any oil. The SR9C should be field stripped after each shooting session, for cleaning and lubrication no matter how many rounds are fired. You should clean, blow dry and lightly oil your firearm to keep it in perfect working order."

This was kind of a generic answer, but I stripped it and cleaned & lubricated anyway. I didn't remove all the grease because it wasn't that bad and after I fire about a hundred rounds thru it, I'll take it down and clean everything and relube. Should I use grease on the slide or just lightly oil?
    Heading to the range

13. mountainskytop

mountainskytop New Member

I never did that in my life so far anyway.

14. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

I disassembled and inspected mine, then put it back together and started shooting. Cleaned it afterwards.