New SR45 on CA 10-day wait

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by Marthor, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I did the paperwork last Friday which started a 10-day California wait. I ordered extra magazines and a holster and those arrived today! So, the new holster will still remain empty for 4 more days. The idea for a wait period is supposed to be a "cooling-off" time for supposedly a rare person in a rage. What's stupid though is I already have a gun, so why should I wait at all? The correct answer is I shouldn't wait. My CCW permit should exempt me from any waiting period. A few other states have waiting periods too, but those states are smarter than California.

[​IMG]

I'll do a review when I get it in hand. :D

2. JW357

JW357 New Member

Congrats on your purchase! We'll need pics and a range report when you can, of course.

I agree about the waiting period thing. Here's my thoughts on it:
    - If you have already purchased a firearm in CA, no waiting period at all.
    - If this is your first firearm purchased in CA, if they really want a waiting period 2 days is more than enough.
    - I'm not sure how I feel about exempting CCW holders. Looking at it from the enemy's point if view, I know they will say even CCW holders can "snap" and go and do thins in a rage.
    - I'm done. I could go on and on about how much I hate this state's laws, but I'm tired and it'll put me in a bad mood. :(

3. Marthor

Marthor New Member

A person with a CCW permit already has a gun. That's why any waiting period for them has zero justification.

4. JW357

JW357 New Member

Yeah, you're right.

Again I hate this state and the waiting period at all. But there are certainly ways to still have it with their "intention" and have it be relatively reasonable. :mad:

5. davva360

davva360 New Member

I agree waiting periods are stupid. We have a wait in Florida for hand guns but not for long guns. Makes even less sense lol.

I am interested in your thoughts on the SR45. I have and SR9c and love that gun.

6. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

Shot mine for the first time this morning. One failure to feed on last round of my first magazine. Flawless the other 99 rounds. This gun is super accurate and trigger is better than my glock and m&p imho. It's a keeper

7. miamivice

miamivice New Member

Shooting Factory or hand loads ?

8. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

All factory ammo. I don't reload yet. Shot federal hydrashok, federal range and target, independence, and winchester pdx1. Only shot one mag of pdx1 and it failed to feed on last round. Everything else was flawless. If you buy this gun you will not be disappointed. I will do a full review once I get a chance to shoot it more. I plan on putting 200 or so more rounds through it one day in the next couple of weeks.

9. miamivice

miamivice New Member

Great. Keep us posted.

They are not available in Canada yet....I'm waiting......patiently :)

10. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

It could be worst you can wait months here.

11. Marthor

Marthor New Member

I went to SoCal Sharpshooters in Torrance, CA.

I shot 5 mags (50 rnds) with no FTF or light strikes as some other people have reported light strikes. I shot three different ammo types including reloaded ammo from LAX and everything cycled and fired.

Very accurate pistol. Slightly outperformed my XDm or Px4 for accuracy. It put a smile on my face when several in a row went right through the center bullseye dead on.

My biggest complaint would be you have to give it a bigger push to get the magazine to seat in the gun, moreso than all my other 45s. A plus on the mags is you can see all ten loaded. My beretta mag only shows 5 and 10 loaded on the mag. The ruger mag loader is a different design too, but it works good and I like it. The ambidextrous mag release is also nice. I may switch to using right side because of this. I definately prefer it to be on both sides as ambidextrous.

Everything else is terrific. Ergo, fit, function, look, size and weight are all great. The loaded chamber indicator also works better as far as sticking out farther so it's easier to tell. I don't really care for those, but if it's going to be there it's nice that it works well.

One other preference I'm learning too is front slide serrations. Front serrations make it easier to check the chamber. I'm not ever going to solely rely on the loaded chamber indicator. You have to rack the slide to prove it's unloaded and it's a bit easier with front serrations.

Very happy with the SR45 overall. :D

Here's a pic of my beatiful new Ruger SR45...
    [​IMG]

12. jjones45

jjones45 New Member

I love mine. After a couple hundred more rounds through it with no malfunctions it will be in bedside duty/ carry rotation. I only had that 1 failure to feed on the last round of first mag. Other than that perfect. This is one very accurate pistol.