New SR40 - wow!~

Discussion in 'Ruger Handgun Forum' started by chloeshooter, Dec 23, 2012.

1. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

I purchased a Ruger SR40 a couple of days ago, had it's range debut yesterday. wow! I have a 10/22 from Ruger which is a great little gun, but this is my first handgun. Not just from Ruger, but period.

I shot a rental SR40 prior to buying, so I had an idea what was going on. Not much kick for a .40 in my opinion. Especially compared to 9mm's I have shot. Shoots 100% true out of the box. No jams, feeding issues, very pleased indeed. I'm a big guy (6', 270) so this is an OK size carry gun for me; I also prefer the single-action over double-actions. I was really interested in going the 1911 route (based on looks and reputation) but I have to say I don't like the double action at all, and unless you want to spend a lot of $$, most of the ones I've handled have a "cheap" feel to them. The other reason I ended up with .40 S&W: 15 shots per clip (vs what, 7-8?). Whatever I may be missing in quality on any given day, I'll make up for with volume ;)

SR40 take-down is extremely easy, as is re-assembly. I can do both in less than a minute combined. This is a no-BS gun, which I prefer. I have always been very hands-on in terms of taking apart rifles and shotguns, so I know how they work, can maintain them myself and in a pinch can fix a problem in the field. This is easy as in cleaning a bolt-action rifle or a Remington 870 is "easy". Like I said, big guy, big hands, no problems handling any of the pieces.

I bought this gun based on excellent reviews and test info but the real kicker for me was how well it shot, fits my hand and at $450, a great new gun for the money. I'll check back in after I put few thousand rounds through it

Attached Files:

2. Colby

Colby New Member

Haven't shot 40 caliber but had heard that 40 caliber has a sharper/harder kick compared to the 9mm. Sounds like you think not...
    Any opinions from other guys?

3. sparky80

sparky80 New Member

Sr 40's do shoot softly for a 40. If they fit your hand they are a great gun.

4. aandabooks

aandabooks New Member

I've got the SR9 and it is a great gun. Ruger makes quality guns. Congrats on your SR40. May it be the first of many to come.

5. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

Same here, my SR9 is my favorite and most fun to shoot.

6. Colby

Colby New Member

You know, of all my carry guns - 380, 38 Special, 9mm - my Ruger LC9 is the most pleasant to shoot - and the most fun.
    What is it with Ruger and the 9mm - or maybe Ruger in general??
    I like 'em.
    And I've got Smiths and Colts...

7. Jtelli71

Jtelli71 New Member

I have an sr40 and its a nice shooter. It's my first and only 40cal. It's got a bit sharper recoil than my 9's but I was expecting that. I think my friends xd40 shoots softer. Overall I think the sr40 is a great gun for the money.

8. rmarino14

rmarino14 New Member

I have the SR40c and it's a really nice gun. Recoil is very manageable for a compact.
    I also have a LCP and picked up the LC9 last week.

9. kjdeut

kjdeut New Member

My first Ruger was their MKIII 22/45 and I got it because of the good things I was told from other owners and also the price, I have not been disappointed with my decision. I have also learned they have great customer service so I haven't found anything yet not to like.

10. WorldTraveler

WorldTraveler New Member

As I've already got an SR9C, I think I've sold myself on the "SR" family. I've already told the banker (wife) that my next 2 weapons are the SR 40 and 45. I'm hoping that I can convince her to move up to a semi-auto. She feels there's not enough strength in her hands for racking the slide, etc. Only pistol I've got is a Super Single Six in 22LR, Just wish I still had the origional version, but hindsite is 20-20. She went with a S&W model 360 J frame for her CCW. Though I didn't agree with it, It's her weapon and feel it should be the shooter's decision on what to carry. Sorry for the rambling, but I think Ruger has got it right with the SR family of weapons.

Clint

11. fupuk

fupuk New Member

I shot a ruger Sr40c at the range a couple weeks ago because I guy I work with bought it for a new carry gun. Its a great gun and feels good while shooting it. I love my Gp100 more than the Sr40 but a ruger is still a ruger. Great purchase.

12. chloeshooter

chloeshooter New Member

Ok just some follow up info after 1000 rounds:

- my SR 40 does not like steel or aluminum shell casings- there are occasional failures to extract when gun gets hot. Not the case w brass
    - this gun loves Winchester "white box" 180 g jhp
    - cleaning after every range trip takes little time
    - this handgun shoots great!

I really like the SR platform and likely will pick up a SR9c at some point for my wife (she shoots the 40 very well, may go 40c for her)