New sniper record

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by bkt, May 2, 2010.

1. bkt

bkt New Member

British sniper nails two Taliban from world record 8,120 feet - NYPOST.com

Sniper kills Qaeda-from 1½ mi. away
    By LUKAS I. ALPERT
    Last Updated: 7:13 AM, May 2, 2010

It was silent but deadly.

A British sniper set a world sharpshooting record by taking out two Taliban soldiers in Afghanistan from more than a mile and a half away -- a distance so great, experts say the terrorists wouldn't have even heard the shots.

Craig Harrison killed the two insurgents from an astounding distance of 8,120 feet -- or 1.54 miles -- in Helmand Province last November firing an Accuracy International L11583 long-range rifle.

"The first round hit a machine-gunner in the stomach and killed him outright," said Harrison, a corporal of horse in the British Army's Household Cavalry, the equivalent of a sergeant in the American military.

"The second insurgent grabbed the weapon and turned as my second shot hit him in the side. He went down, too," Harrison told the Sunday Times of London.

The shots -- measured via GPS -- surpassed the previous record held by Canadian Army Cpl. Rob Furlong, who killed an al Qaeda gunman from 7,972 feet in 2002.

Harrison's shots were roughly equal to the distance between the Statue of Liberty and Battery Park.

Experts called Harrison's sharp shooting as perfect as it gets.

"When you are shooting that far, if you miss by a hair, you miss by a mile," said John Plaster, a retired US Army sharp-shooting instructor and author of "The Ultimate Sniper." "That is about as precise as any marksmen on the planet could shoot."

He said Harrison's targets likely never knew what was coming.

"At a distance like that they cannot even see anyone and they would not even hear the muzzle report," Plaster said.

Harrison, who fired the bullets while his colleagues were under fire, said perfect weather helped him nail the perfect shot.

"[There was] no wind, mild weather, clear visibility," he said.

Harrison learned of his record nine days ago, when he returned to England. In the weeks after his record shot, he suffered a minor gunshot wound and broke his arms when his vehicle hit a roadside bomb.

2. opaww

opaww New Member

Coolllll.....

3. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

1.5 miles???? :eek: that's insane!

4. RadioActiV

RadioActiV New Member

Apparently they haven't seen me shoot!:D That's great! Good soldier; great sniper. All around I like it!

5. NitroxAZ

NitroxAZ New Member

Effin Amazing!!!

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

1.5 Miles with an Accuracy International ( most likely ) .338 Lapua EDIT: I read another report and it has the AI in .50 cal as the weapon used. JD

That is some SERIOUS shooting!!

Hats off to this soldier who has proven that one man, with one weapon, can DEFINITELY make a difference in any battle.

Great effing shooting!!

JD

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Outstanding!

Two more scumballs down, way too many to go.

8. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Gives me a warm fuzzy!

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

A warm fuzzy, huh??

This guy rules. Hats off to him. Thank goodness he's on our side.

10. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Great shooting Mr. Harrison!!

11. pandamonium

pandamonium New Member

Super shooting, I love hearing about this stuff,hope he retains his awsome skills after he heals.

12. doctherock

doctherock New Member

that is righteously bad ***. Says he was using the British-built L115A3 Long Range Rifle, the Army’s most powerful sniper weapon.

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  13. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Here it is, its a 338 Lapua Mag. I have fired a 338 Lapua mag at a 400 yard target and was impressed by the power at which it struck the steel plate.

Attached Files:

14. ChuckD

ChuckD New Member

My hats off to him. That is an amazing feat! Could you image being at the gun range with someone like that, their shooting would have to be next level!
    Chuck

15. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Some great shooting! I'm always impressed by the good long range shooters.

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Uh, no you don't. Not without the aid of a recoilless rifle or close air support.

17. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

or a Glock...:rolleyes:

18. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

Either this civilian knows nothing or you are full of it and smoking something.

19. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?

Attached Files:

• col.jpg
      col.jpg
      File size:
      5.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member