new SKS's what now?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Leavingplatoscomphycave, Mar 24, 2010.

1. so my father and i just got a pair of SKSs (not sure if they r russain or yugo ect) and we want to give them a badass tune up but we have no clue where to start besides reworking the trigger. We want them to be more accurate and well im not sure what else, any suggestions on making them um...better??

2. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Have you shot them yet?

3. hahaha oh yea left out that piece of info. Yea i shot them (well i only shot mine) but it can ring a steel plate (7''X7'') at 120 yrds like 50% of the time, i didnt get to shoot more than 50 rounds though.

4. William

William New Member

I would look and see if you can put a heavier barrel on it (Not an exspert on SKS's) and if you have trouble with recoil you may want to consider looking into a compisater.

FOOT NOTE: I royally stink at spelling

5. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Work on the crappy long, gritty trigger pull. DO NOT INVOLVE A DREMEL IN THIS. Leave the barrel alone. A scope and decent ammo can help SOME- understand this is a carbine, intended to shoot "minute of bad guy" at 200 meters or so. Read the articles on the sidebars- all the way down. Have fun- love it for what it is-http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

6. yea i have a compensator on it already (witch i think is kinda silly to put on a carbine ahaha)

7. what is a dremel? i plan on filing the sear so it has positive engagement with the hammer so i can shorten it and it will still be safe

8. ok so i just filied the sear to have neutral/semi positive engagement with the hammer and the creep has been diminished ALOT (still a little creepy but defiantly not as bad)

9. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

If they have a compensator, there probably not Russian. I've heard Russian SKS's make up about 1 in 50 SKS's in the U.S. Most were imported in the 80's by KBI out of Harrisburg, PA and will have this info etched on the port side of the receiver at the rear. The recoil spring cover will also have a factory engraved sybol of a STAR with an ARROW at its center pointed toward the muzzle. The finish is another give away. To my knowledge, all Russian imports were blued and for a military issue gun, it's a pretty nice bluing job.

The Chinese and Yugo versions tend to have compensators, chincey bayonette's, "compared to the Russian", and more of a black or grey parkerized finish.

I got my Russian off an Army buddy going through a divorce back in 96. Gave him $75.00 for it and it's the best "value" I've ever gotten on a gun buy.

From a bench I'm able to put 5 rounds into a 4" square target at 200 yards, a little better than 1.5" MOA which astonished me. It shoots circles around my AK.

If the S ever really hits the Fan and I could only take 1 all purpose rifle, it would be my Russian SKS.

Russian or not, there all fun shooters and I'm sure you'll get a life time worth of enjoyment out of them.

Tackleberry1

10. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

Post pics please. Compensator? Factory installed muzzle devices were prety much all Yugos. The Yugos also have a gas cut off to enable grenade launching.

PLEASE keep files away from trigger mechanisms. Stoning is the preferred method of alteration, but should be attempted only by skilled individuals. Take too much off and you can get unsafe conditionsand or unpredictable full auto fire.

The scope mounting options for the SKS range from horrible to barely acceptable. Most involve a modified dust cover (the top back part of the receiver. None reliably hold zero. The dust cover will move around a bit causing bullet impact to shift. A scout mount "may" be an option worth looking into. They replace the gas tube or upper handguard allowing a long eye relief scope to be mounted.

IMHO, the best accessory for the SKS is AMMO and lots of it. Shoot it and enjoy it for what it is.

The most common issue they have is slam fires. They were designed for ammo with hard military primers. The use of commercial ammo will cause the gun to fire when chambering a round of soft primed US commercial ammo (Win, Fed, Rem). There is a company that makes a spring loaded firing pin that is said to eliminate this problem.

My answer was to remove the firing pin and clean it very thoroughly along with the bolt. I deburred the firing pin with a stone (Arkansas whet stone) and polished the sides with 600 grit wet/dry layed on a hard flat surface. I shoot reloads and US made ammo all the time and have NEVER had a slam fire.

11. well turns out what i though was some sort of compensator or muzzle brake is some sort of grenade launcher thingus, and i only filed the sears engagment a lil bit :eek: is it gunna be ok? (well only way of knowing is to shoot it :p ) anybody know of a good stock for the SKS that wont be really expensive but still ok (synthetic or wood i wouldnt mind ether)

12. oh and i took the thing apart and looked up serial numbers and looked for markings and i was wrong its a yugoslavian ill post pics after school :D

13. file:///Users/adriktibbs/Desktop/Photo%208.jpg

how do u upload pics on a mac?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

Some people are much more brave than myself with their gunsmithing practices. The only thing I would dare take a file to is a front sight. I have even heard of people successfully using a dremel on a feed ramp. But, I would never ever go there. I would never use anything but a good polishing compound and a soft cloth. Maybe that's just me. I spend too much money on this hobby as it is, without damaging any of my guns.

15. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

You have to be careful when changing stuff on an sks. If you change your stock you will have to change other stuff too to keep it legal. I bought the Tapco T6 compliance kit. You can find it on midwayusa.com. I bought it with the 20 round mag, 6 position buttstock, pistol grip, forearm and gas piston. It was around $130 for everything. The forearm has a rail on it. I mounted a red dot scope on the forearm. It works great. I like the forward mounted scope because you can aquire you target really fast. If you buy this kit make sure you get the right one for your bayonet set up. There is spike and blade.

16. c3shooter

OK- a Demel is a high speed rotary power tool. DO NOT USE ONE ON A FIREARM. You can remove metal MUCH easier than you can replace it. In a blink of an eye.

You do NOT want to file fire control parts. You MAY use a hard stone (arkansas) to POLISH surfaces that meet to reduce drag. FILING may get you a sear that will slip under recoil- with a result of either (a) no fire, or (b) full auto fire. If you get (b) expect a visit from the guys in cheap suits with bulges- that don't care that you were trying to improve a trigger pull. You MADE a machinegun.

When cleaning up a trigger/sear, you are polishing surfaces along the SIDES that drag on other parts. On meeting parts (trigger/sear) you must preserve the original angle of engagement. This is best done by an experienced, skilled gunsmith. Done poorly, very BAD ju-ju. Step away from the file......:eek:

17. i didnt take that much off the sear just a tad :( where could i buy a replacement if i have to? i shot about 100 rounds throught it and it seemed ok, it didnt full auto fire on me or not fire, and the trigger pull was a lot better but i dont think ill be filing any parts any time soon :eek:

18. c3shooter

19. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Some foks just gotta learn the hard way...

Good Luck

PS
    I've head bending the barrel will let you shoot around corners! How bout you test that one out for us too.;)