New sks should i have it checked before firing?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by TheNYResistance, Oct 28, 2013.

1. TheNYResistance

TheNYResistance New Member

R is there a way to check it myself before taking it to the range? Dealer never fired it, took it on trade gorgeous clean piece.

2. deathkricket

deathkricket New Member

SKS's are built very roubust, If you want to check it before firing pull it apart make sure the cosmoline is removed and look it over with a flash light for gouges, cracks or deformations. You will be good to go with firing it unless there is somthing that may lead you to belive it may be unsafe. Take her out to the range and have fun. Most dealers will not test fire every gun they get in stock, this is normal.

3. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

I remember when I first got my SKS, It took quite awhile to get all of the cosmoline removed. And I had a friend that was a gunsmith that showed me how to take it apart and clean it. Then a couple of days later when I took it out to try it out. I remember that I fired enough rounds through it to get the barrel hot enough to almost burn me when I touched it. It must have still had a small amount of cosmoline somewhere as it felt a little oily. You could also see a little smoke coming from it, that was why I touched the barrel. I have never had a misfeed or misfire from that rifle. I love it!

Ken

4. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

As said. Field strip it, check the bolt, be sure the firing pin moves freely. There have been documented cases of uncontrolled full auto fire that have resulted from a FP being stuck in the extended position- dried cosmoline.

5. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

+1.

Very simple devices. Not really a lot to go wrong. Clean, inspect, lube & enjoy.
    As for the cosmoline, if you know anyone with a parts washer, give them a shout. Brake cleaner also works well too.

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

One trick I use to help get cosmoline out of stock:

Wrap stock in absorbent paper towels.
    Then wrap that in a black plastic bag.
    Put it then in a car on the deck behind rear seat and leave it there for 48 hours.

The cosmoline get absorbed into the paper towels.
    (But the wife has this thing about gun smell in her car, so I use the son's)

7. shadecorp

shadecorp Active Member Supporter

At least run some patches through the barrel.
    Make sure the barrel is not plugged.

8. therewolf

therewolf New Member

This ISN'T like buying a Ruger, Remington, or Mossberg. Which

comes out of the box cleaned, and lightly lubricated.

All Combloc Milsurps and clones need to be field stripped,

and carefully cleaned, to avoid either a disaster, or the

"Mother Of All Jams".

Getting a round which is jammed in the chamber, with

cosmoline as an adhesive, is a truly memorable experience.

Not a good one, like seeing the Grand Canyon, or Mt.

Rushmore. More like an Evil Dead nightmare.

If you got a particularly clean piece, you might want to

consider leaving it, and buying a junky beater to shoot.

My buddy got a really clean Chinese SKS with the cruciform

bayo, and I let him shoot mine, so he can keep his mint.

The value on the nice ones is skyrocketing.

9. JWagner

JWagner New Member

As C3 says, the sticky firing pin is a critical concern. There are Youtube videos of magazine dumps done with an SKS with a sticky firing pin. Pull it apart (once again, Youtube can help) and see if the firing pin rattles freely when shaken.

10. Mercator

Mercator Active Member

If it doesn't the pin may be rusted (must disassemble) or spring loaded (you're lucky)

11. Mongo

Mongo Well-Known Member Supporter

When you are ready to shoot it for the first time, load only 2 rounds in the magazine to be sure it is semi auto.

12. nchunt101

nchunt101 New Member

As said above clean the hell out of it a shoot it. I hate it when SKSs come up in conversation because I kick myself for not buying everyone I saw for $100 in the past.

13. TDS92A

TDS92A New Member Supporter

You have probably have been told this, but I will say it to you again, always check every firearm that you aquire, brnad new or otherwise.

Better safe than sorry. :D

14. StainlessSteel215

StainlessSteel215 New Member

Check the barrel, clean if its dirty. Check the bolt face to ensure its flat because the Yugos have been documented to slam fire on occasion if the surface has a burr or slight bump.

I installed a Murray spring loaded firing pin in my Norinco before I even shot it. Not that I don't take everything apart and clean my guns after each shoot.....but I didn't ever want to worry about the FP sticking