New SKS Purchase

Discussion in 'AK & SKS Discussion' started by UrbanNinja, Nov 12, 2011.

1. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Today I picked up my first SKS. Chinese Type 56.

Im looking for a schematic for takedown but cant seem to find any... Im probably blind and looked right over it somewhere. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Also are there any good places,websites to purchase parts?

2. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Go to google and punch in sks takedown instructions, there are several good links that come up. There are even a couple for the type 56.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I'm sure there's a youtube for it too.

4. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Ive seen the YouTube video. I would like a "blown up" type with parts list. I apologize,I should have been more specific.

5. BillM

BillM Active Member Supporter

6. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Thank you. I appreciate it.

7. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

A little update... Ive spent some time getting familiar with the SKS, Breaking it down and putting it back together, getting to know the parts and such. Well now Ive decided to start setting it up to my liking.

The previous owner had removed the front sight and mounted a rail for a scope. Id like to put the front sight back on but after a bit of searching, I cant seem to find it. I found the "sight adjustment tool" but not the sight itself. Anyone know where i can track one down?

The stock is composite.. I am undecided if I should return to the wood stock or simply keep the composite stock and give it a nice OD Green paint job (I am a professional painter and i have a few gallons of OD green from a recent specialty drilling rig that was built by my company and donated to the US Navy).

Can anyone give some insight on which stock would be better to keep? Are there any performance differences or is this a weight only difference?

8. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

Still searching for a front sight if anyone knows where I can track one down, id appreciate a nudge in the right direction.
    It doesn't have to be an original, something aftermarket will be fine as well. Clip on, universal,etc...

9. Billy9mm

Billy9mm Member Supporter

Try gun-guides.com I got a manual from them for my sks and mauser they are only about 5or6 bucks. I think I ordered them from Samco, I think they are out of Fla. also Cheaper than Dirt has some parts.

10. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I did manage to get a manual and I later found out how easy they are to strip down. Ive been toying around with it and making it to my personal liking. The issue is finding the damned front sight. Ive gotten some leads..but nothing yet. Also looking into swapping barrels if possible. Is shortening the barrel possible? Would it make any performance difference? Im only thinking a couple of inches at the most.

11. Werminator

Werminator Member

I also thought about shortening the barrel on my Norinco, but to me it is a lot of work and the end pay off isn't there for me. A shorter barrel only means slightly more manueverable... This would be important if I was using my SKS as my primary HD weapon but My 9mm and 12guage are my go to bad guy deterents... Leaving somethings alone just makes sense... Besides, shorten the barrel to a point and you begin to lose range and maybe even some accuracy if done wrong...

12. UrbanNinja

UrbanNinja New Member

I wouldn't be using it for home defense, I have plenty of handguns and a 12ga for that. I wouldn't be using it for hunting either,therefore range wouldn't be an issue as well. Basically I bought this rifle to build something personal to me and to use a range gun. If it stays accurate at 75-100 yards.. ill be happy. Its nothing more than a toy to me.

13. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

Yes a shorter barrel will in fact make a difference ballistically you will end up with a lower muzzle velocity and less accuracy you will also feel the recoil more. The big problem though would be the drop in gas pressure in the system, if the gas block is too close to the end of the barrel more gas will escape out the barrel before the bolt cycles and you may not have enough pressure to do that. You could solve this by shortening the gas system (which is a totally custom job) but you would need to maintain the gun more because more unburnt powder will get in the system and eventually turn it into a chimney. If you do this you will also want a muzzle break otherwise it'll be a flamethrower out the end. I say just keep it the way it came. It was adopted by militaries in that form for a reason. If people keep changing it they sacrifice the main reasons militaries adopted it. It's supposed to be a simple robust rifle a two year old could use. It was never designed to be a tactical carbine there are reasons it functions perfectly with the internal mags but jams like crazy with tapcos